• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the most “FUN” car you ever owned?

I had a ratty 68 corvette convertible way back..... 400 small block, hypo heads, solid cam, 4 speed...... chrome header/side pipes.....

I know, I know....... but it was pretty cool , and a lot of fun...... cant believe there are no photos lying around

While stationed in West Germany 1976-1979 I owned a '78 BMW Alpina B7 3.0. 301HP set up to road race through the Taunus Mountains around Frankfurt. Two large spotlights mounted between the headlights for night racing. Sometimes there would be a dozen or more of us zooming down through the mountains trying to outrun each other in the curves and straights. Pretty hairy at night, but, you knew you were alive. Was a hell of a car. I was 20 years old and mostly had my hair on fire everywhere I went....

... Was a hell of a car. I was 20 years old and mostly had my hair on fire everywhere I went....
1687728393454.png
sorta like this ?

If that's not courage, I don't know what is. Any sista's knock on your window ?
They were lined up shoulder to shoulder on Leggett Avenue when I was driving into the market. They all waved, but kept their distance, figuring I was a rival pimp. When I slept in the car, I was inside the market gates. A "protected zone." No problems with human critters in there, but the rats used to gorge on fermented oranges that fell out of the reefer cars, and they would get aggressive when under the influence. The big ones went around ten pounds. When I got promoted to the corporate office, it was the same stuff, different players.

When I graduated from H.S. in 1973 I began driving a 1969 Chevy step-side pickup truck (350 auto) which was a ranch hand-me-down vehicle from Dad who had purchased a new replacement. For some reason, I found girls were eager to climb in the truck with me (sometimes two at a time). Then it was cruising, drive-in restaurants, drive-in movies, and "parking" when the sun went done. Most of the "fun" took place at a speed of approximately 0 MPH. Before the pick-up, I had driven parent's new '71 air grabber Road Runner to high school as a junior and senior. To this day, never had a girl with me in the Road Runner (except for kid sister who I took to school)-go figure.

1969 Chevy step side.jpeg

What’s the most “FUN” car you ever owned?​

Some would think that I'd say this car:

70 500.JPG

That would be a good guess. It is the one that I have spent the most money on and owned the longest.

Then there is this car:

JF 1.JPG

It is a beater that I can park anywhere. I'm in it far cheaper than you'd think, too. No again.

THIS car I owned from 1987-2003.

IMG_4699.JPG

I went through 3 engines, three axles, lots of tires....I did my first 4 automatic overdrive swap and later my first 4 speed swap. Not this one.

I still own this ratty beater.

IMG_5047.JPG

Yeah, it looks terrible but has a warmed over 360, a 4.10 8 3/4 axle, 1.03 Tbars and is the most fun on a dirt road that I have had......

Dart blue 1.jpg

......since the next car......

G L 2 99 2 (2).jpg

Yeah, here goes.
1973 Plymouth Duster. Here is the story.
In 1996, The TV network TNN was replaying classic episodes of The Dukes Of Hazzard. I've always loved the show and was really happy that it was back on TV. I developed this idea of making a VHS home movie with stunts, crashes, jumps and a General Lee stand in. I knew that Chargers were hard to find so I settled on this $250 car. It was gold with a 318, manual steering, manual drum brakes and zero options. I swapped in the interior from a Dart Sport 360: Bucket seats, console, nice trim panels and such. I swapped in a 360, a 3.21 axle and added a front sway bar. I shot hours of video of this car and others drifting off road, climbing hills, going through shallow creeks, through grass fields, etc. I had a stunt car that I used for jumps.

G L 2 99 1.jpg

I had so much fun pitching this car sideways on dirt, I have yet to match it since. The black '67 Dart outperforms it by a mile but I owned the Duster in between wives with a lot more free time to play. I sold this in 2001 along with the white Camaro to buy an engagement and wedding ring.
ZERO regrets for selling either car. I painted it before the sale...

IMG_20151214_0182.jpg

IMG_20151214_0183.jpg

I still have a soft spot for Dusters.

Last edited:
When I graduated from H.S. in 1973 I began driving a 1969 Chevy step-side pickup truck (350 auto) which was a ranch hand-me-down vehicle from Dad who had purchased a new replacement. For some reason, I found girls were eager to climb in the truck with me (sometimes two at a time). Then it was cruising, drive-in restaurants, drive-in movies, and "parking" when the sun went done. Most of the "fun" took place at a speed of approximately 0 MPH. Before the pick-up, I had driven parent's new '71 air grabber Road Runner to high school as a junior and senior. To this day, never had a girl with me in the Road Runner (except for kid sister who I took to school)-go figure.

View attachment 1484991

My High school ride. '66 GTO. It was late 70s early 80s. The muscle cars era were the only cars I could afford. The rich kids had the mid-late 70s Trans Ams and Camero. I terrorized them. My next ride a '68 sport satellite. I had both for short time. 389 4-speed GTO vs 383 Sat 727 auto. Both rated 335HP. Both with 3.73 rear gear. Weight close to same. And as expected. A CLOSE race. Satellite with the auto more consistent, thus won most. If I got a good holeshot with GTO? GTO would lead as Satellite very slowly closed gap.

Fun times.

A Morris Minor we stripped down and
turned it into a dune buggy. At 14 and
no drivers license, we got lots of
behind the wheel time. It helped too,
that we lived in a very small town
in the desert southwest.
Learned to drive a manual with that
car. What a blast it was!

I've owned this once since new:

IMG-20120320-00003.jpg

'91 Dodge Daytona AGS Competition Package car. 2.5 hi-torque turbo I, A568 close ratio 5 speed, fat sway bars, quick steering rack, 4 wheel disc brakes, 16" directional wheels. I've had it for 32 years - it MUST be fun! I've had a bunch of the turbo cars and they're a breeze to work on (used to do a headgasket lift-n-slip between rounds at the track; last summer I did one the "right" way in my turbo minivan, no lift, hand tools, 5h start to finish). Runs great, handles great, easy to upgrade (intercooler, manual boost controller, larger turbochargers, larger injectors, Grand National 3-bar MAP sensor)...did all that stuff back in the day, but now, given it's one of 150 AGS cars built...it's back to bone-stock for cruising - other than MP lowering springs that I put in back in '92, and a 2.5" exhaust that I put on about 20 years ago.

My Charger is fun - nostalgia-fun. My Wrangler is fun - beach-time, ton-of-sun, nice weather convertible / snow-use-tank-fun. My wagon is fun - 13-second street car station wagon fun. My turbo minivan is fun. But nothing's been with me as long as my Daytona.

Now if we get out of "car"....THIS, is fun:

DSCN0102.JPG

My 2009 Buell 1125CR. 1125cc DOHC liquid-cooled v-twin. 156hp at the rear tire. 370 lbs wet (full fuel, oil, and coolant). 54" wheelbase. 8 piston front caliper. 6 speed. Hydraulic, slipper clutch. Belt drive. Just a MONSTER.

1969 Coronet R/T with the 440(balanced and blued at Charley's Speed & Machine, Blair, NE), 4-speed, with the 3:54 Dana.

That car was SCARY fast!!!!!

1969 Dodge Dart GTS 440, a real "M"-code car. 3.91 8-3/4 rear. Turbine Bronze Metallic/black top/black interior and butt stripe. That was a screaming straight-line machine! Bought that as a restored car in April 1988, and sold it prior to my being stationed in West Germany in March 1989. I was the NINTH owner of this car! I had that car documented all the way back to the original buyer in Salt Lake City, UT, where the car was bought at Hinckley Dodge. When I bought the car, it had gone through two 440 engines and two 383 engines, before the guy I bought it from built 440 #3.

Anyway, this car was an absolute blast to hit the "go" pedal and do low-level flights around town. Took it to the dragstrip twice, where it did well once, and ran like crap the second outing to the strip. I sold it to an "investor" in Massachusetts in 1989. I believe I have located the car again! And yes, it has gone through at least four owners since me.

I'd LOVE to have that 440 GTS back!

2001 Dakota R/T, ran the bigger 2.02 intake heads, bigger TB, headers, 4.56 gears. It ran mid 13's in the 1/4 and handled more like a sports car than a truck. Cars hated losing to a truck and it was a blast to drive on the mountain twisty's.

Dakota_RT.jpg

Lots of cool cars in this thread. What a variety!

I'd have posted this one, but can't really use it... since my last two surgeries. It's an absolute blast to drive, though.
Prowler 7-19-23 golf course.jpg

2001 Dakota R/T, ran the bigger 2.02 intake heads, bigger TB, headers, 4.56 gears. It ran mid 13's in the 1/4 and handled more like a sports car than a truck. Cars hated losing to a truck and it was a blast to drive on the mountain twisty's.
I got a recall RT that got turned in and my car dealer buddy asked me if I could keep it at my place for a week or so (had it two weeks) because the dealership was packed full. The mileage on it wasn't all that high but the tires were about 80% gone but man, it surprised me how well it handled! Back in 92 I bought a new Dakota reg cab short box with the 5.2 and 3.9 gears and ran this GT Mustang one day. Had already pulled the muffler off of it but left the converter and it sounded pretty good....anyways, we took off normally and looked at over at each other and we both got into it at the same time. Put a fender on him but at the top of 2nd gear (automatic) I had to get out of it because there was a car in my lane. Was pulling on him slightly up until that point. He was so pissed that he didn't want anything to do with that again and ran the light that was up ahead. Stooopid jerk as the light turned red well before he got to it and he never slowed down.

I’d say the Roadrunner I have now. It’s just a fun car to drive. Manual everything, 6bbl’s of fun with a 4 speed. Completely raw and full of attitude. And it’s in daily driver condition, which is what it’s always been, so no need to use the kid gloves.

DD46C3ED-4285-4299-A8BF-9B1567B6A626.png

76 Volare Wagon 318 factory 4-speed sure grip car. It also had a cop car suspension with and cop wheels with sticky 255/60 tires all around. It was my daily for 50,000 miles. It handled great, had fair horsepower, carried lots of stuff, was fun to drive, and I didn't really care if it gathered another scratch, ding, etc. Of all the cars I have ever had, it is probably the one I could push the hardest because I had so much seat time in it on the edge of control.

My favorite moment was when I agreed to pick up a long lost friend's wife for him and drop her off somewhere. I had never met her, and she turned out to be the spoiled valley-girl type direct from LA. When I pulled up in my 20-year old, brown/tan Volare Wagon and opened the door for her, the look of disdain on her face could not be clearer. I wasn't sure she was actually going to get in, but when she finally did, she acted like she was going to catch some disease from the upholstery. Her negativity was off the charts with zero congeniality or appreciation for the free ride or the use (waste) of my time.

SO...... I told her to put on her seat belt and hold on tight. It was a short but memorable drive, and I have thankfully not seen either of them since!

My most fun car was my One-of None 1967 Coronet R/T station wagon. I built it with a 440 4-speed in it with 3.55 Suregrip. I had the powertrain in it, before I did the body and paint and all the R/T emblems on it So, it just looked like a normal, old wagon. I liked picking off the young punks with their newer Camaro's and Mustang's with it. After I got it painted up as an R/T, with bucket seats, it got more attention at car shows than my real R/T hardtop. One year we drove it to Chryslers at Carlisle, and as we were making the slow drive into the show grounds, some guy jumped into the rear seat and starting talking about his 1967 R/T and showing us pictures of it that he carried in his wallet! Rob Wolfe took an interest in it at the show, and did a photo feature of my creation in Mopar Collectors Guide. Another year, we drove it to Don Garlits Museum in Ocala, Florida, from Ontario, with 2.94 gears and cruise control. After I sold it to a guy in Michigan, it went through an antique car auction down there, advertised as one-of-one factory-made for a Chrysler executive to tow his ski boat!

83794155_1517167828449267_1576042329486131200_o.jpg

scan0002[2].jpg

scan0001[2].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back