• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s this wire for.

Car #4

Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
68 Charger rewired with a quik wire kit. What is the purple wire for? It’s on the back of the tic tic tach. It runs up to the distributor but ends in the open, not connected to anything. The car has an MSD in it. Would that wire have connected to the original distributor?

C369C800-CB2D-4667-BE3F-57133566C13D.jpeg

You have a wiring nite mare there. Gray with Purple tracer did go to the coil negative on a factory set up. My 69 has two wires to the tach. Gray with purple tracer coil negative and blue 12 volt keyed feed nothing more. I believe 68 was the same as 69.

100_1906.JPG

Last edited:
You have a wiring nite mare there. Gray with Purple tracer did go to the coil negative on a factory set up. My 69 has two wires to the tach. Gray with purple tracer coil negative and blue 12 volt keyed feed nothing more. I believe 68 was the same as 69.

View attachment 1456156
Wiring nightmare? Ya no kidding! That’s the way it was when I bought it. Why someone would do it that way I don’t know. Several little electrical glitches. The weirdest is that the second hand on the clock will run backwards and then just stop and run forwards. I’m not shitting you, I’ve seen it do it more than once.

Clock running backwards is pretty cool .. does it by chance start the reverse aging process on your car? Just kidding!

I would have already ordered a reproduction factory harness and started over...plug-n-play, all new wires, correct connections. Sometimes money spent is well worth the time saved. Good luck with what you have there.

I would have already ordered a reproduction factory harness and started over...plug-n-play, all new wires, correct connections. Sometimes money spent is well worth the time saved. Good luck with what you have there.
Ya maybe that’s a project for next winter.

Getting back to the tach, what is the terminal that the purple wire is on for? Is it tach or clock?

Auto Transport Service
Back