• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Carb do I need

dodgedream

Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
ok I am starting down the rabbit hole now. I have the car in my possession (1967 coronet 500 with a 440/4 speed). I know the carb needs work so i need info from you guys with experience. the engine is a 440 with flat top pistons, headwork and a purpleshaft cam. the intake is a Torker with an edlebrock carb sitting on it. should I go thru the carb or go with something different and if so suggestions. Thanks in advance guys and you know all the specs of the engine as i know them right now.

I’d rebuild the carb or try the new annular AVS2. 800 cfm version

But, hang on and get ready for all the Holley recommendations you’re about to receive…..

I've never had any luck rebuilding the Carters. I had one new aftermarket AFB that worked great on my tow vehicle for several years though.
I'm a Holley guy, I understand how they work and what to do to make them work. Spent much time doing things to fine tune 850 DP's, Six Pak's and 650 DP's on tunnel rams. Parts are readily available to do the tuning. But I'm a Holley guy, others are Carter people.

AVS, reliable, no fuel leak issues, easy to tune and reliable.. my choice is an old Carter but that new one looks like something I’d try. I have a comp AVS and like it as well as two other old AVS carbs on other engines and love them.

:lol:
Screenshot_20211012-150935_Google.jpg

ok I am starting down the rabbit hole now. I have the car in my possession (1967 coronet 500 with a 440/4 speed). I know the carb needs work so i need info from you guys with experience. the engine is a 440 with flat top pistons, headwork and a purpleshaft cam. the intake is a Torker with an edlebrock carb sitting on it. should I go thru the carb or go with something different and if so suggestions. Thanks in advance guys and you know all the specs of the engine as i know them right now.
I would work with what you have now...get it to be all it can be first. You might find it's exactly what you want for your car and type of driving.

If you get it there and still find it lacking, and want to try a different carb, any number of carbs "will work"...but to really nail one down would depend on anticipated usage, cam specs, what kind of headwork's been done, exhaust/manifolds/headers..stuff like that. If it was me, based on the info you provided, I'd be looking at something capable of at least a true 850cfm or better, like the QF 950 or maybe even the smaller-venturi (1.375") Holley 950..

Imo....suggest the origional Carter AFB # 4326 S without CAP OR # 4328 S with CAP if your looking to origionality. As an alternate, because you have a Torker manifold, which is an open plenum design, a Holley Model 4150 R-3310-!, an origional 780 CFM will work extremely well. These are available on eBay and the internet as used. I do not believe a Carter Thermoquad will fit the manifold, although would work well also, because of the small primary large secondary design. The problem with the TQ is lack of available metering jets and rods for tuning. Both Carter AFB and later the AVS carbs are very reliable and easy to tune. The Holley R-3310-1 is a great carb very easy to tune. The later Holley 750 CFMs are -2, -3, -4 revisions are model 4160 designs with a secondary metering plate in lieu of removable jets, but can be converted via the Promax metering block. As you don't say what rear gear ratio you have, for street use anything over 780 CFM MAY BE too much carb. Points to ponder....
BOB RENTON

Thanks for the input guys. I don’t know what purpleshaft cam I have. The only info I can add is that I havea suregrip with 3:73 gears. I think I will try to rebuild the edelbrock for now since the problem is from sitting up hopefully it will rebuild easily

As a Holley guy, I agree with Bob Renton. A Holley 3310-1 would be an excellent choice if you find one in good shape. They are very versatile and easy to tune. Plenty of tuning parts readily available.
I hope you have good luck on the EDE carb. The rebuild parts quality concerned me with my aftermarket Carter AFB (same as the EDE version). Again when mine was new it ran great. When it needed freshening the rebuild parts were suspect. But I'm a Holley guy. Good luck. BTW a Thermo Quad won't work on a Torker without an adaptor, bad plan.

Good luck. BTW a Thermo Quad won't work on a Torker without an adaptor, bad plan.
Very true on the TQ. It was meant to be more humorous then a recommendation, but they are great carbs if you can find a good one. Every edelbrock carb I have been around left quite a bit of performance on the table. On a 71 challenger we gained .4 tenths by changing out the edelbrock. Lower performance build I have been some what satisfied with edelbrocks...and I haven't been around the avs2. It seems the edelbrocks are also one of the worst offenders for boiling the gas out of the bowls...although all carbs seem to suffer now with ethanol. The cam is not stated but the Torker seems counter productive, there is probably more to be gained by a different intake then a carb. A edelbrock rpm may fit with a drop based air cleaner. Really to work with the torker a Bigger cam and more convertor is needed and a 850 holley.

Last edited:
Curious, I agree the Torker isn't the best manifold, but not too bad. Back in the day I was a Tarantula guy, slightly bigger runners for the 440 motors. They still had plenty of response. But a proper Holley can make a great combination with a Torker. Again I'm a Holley guy.

So I will go in an entirely different direction and say from the description you are not entirely worried about originality so have you thought of EFI? There are several out there.. I have a Holley... LOL... Minimal wiring self learning minor start up adjustments and worry free driving. I have no problems with extended cranking in any weather or current temp of the engine usual crank to start is less than 2 sec and throttle response that i have never had with a carb, I decided to go with the sniper stealth they appear to look like a Holley DP. I love it!! Full discloser it will be a tad more expensive than grabbing a 800CFM ede from summit for $450. But end result is WAY better and more worry free drivability. IMO anyway. OH and i have the Torker intake and a 4 speed as well...

resto49.jpg

Last edited:
So I will go in an entirely different direction and say from the description you are not entirely worried about originality so have you thought of EFI? There are several out there.. I have a Holley... LOL... Minimal wiring self learning minor start up adjustments and worry free driving. I have no problems with extended cranking in any weather or current temp of the engine usual crank to start is less than 2 sec and throttle response that i have never had with a carb, I decided to go with the sniper stealth they appear to look like a Holley DP. I love it!! Full discloser it will be a tad more expensive than grabbing a 800CFM ede from summit for $450. But end result is WAY better and more worry free drivability. IMO anyway. OH and i have the Torker intake and a 4 speed as well...

View attachment 1179213
Your pix shows a Throttle Body type of injection system, similar to the mid '80s GM offerings, which the injector(s) assembies were mounted above the throttle plates, pulsed on by the ECU, and the fuel sprayed in, above the throttle plates and was carried down stream There was a throttle position sensor to know how much the throttle plates were open and to act as the accelerator pump, delivering a momentary shot of fuel and a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor to know manifold vacuum for engine load....plus spark advance characteristics + RPM info + vehicle speed + temperature. Later, Multi Port Fuel Injection (MPI) was introduced, where all injectors were pulsed on at the same time for 1/N times the number engine cylinders, behind a closed intake valve except one which, for this example, received the 7 previous pulses plus the 8th pulse when the valve opened giving a full fuel charge to the cylinder. Later, the system evolved to individual injectors, pulsed on, immediately b4 the intake valve opened; controls were upgraded along with programming. The TBI system is, IMO, old technology but still functional. If this were a true fuel injection installation, the injector nozzles would be in the intake runners near the mounting flange, angled at the port centerline, supplied higher fuel pressure, supplied by a fuel rail. Would I spend the money for a TBI system....no...but its up to you, the car owner. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Your pix shows a Throttle Body type of injection system, similar to the mid '80s GM offerings, which the injector(s) assembies were mounted above the throttle plates, pulsed on by the ECU, and the fuel sprayed in, above the throttle plates and was carried down stream There was a throttle position sensor to know how much the throttle plates were open and to act as the accelerator pump, delivering a momentary shot of fuel and a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor to know manifold vacuum for engine load....plus spark advance characteristics + RPM info + vehicle speed + temperature. Later, Multi Port Fuel Injection (MPI) was introduced, where all injectors were pulsed on at the same time for 1/N times the number engine cylinders, behind a closed intake valve except one which, for this example, received the 7 previous pulses plus the 8th pulse when the valve opened giving a full fuel charge to the cylinder. Later, the system evolved to individual injectors, pulsed on, immediately b4 the intake valve opened; controls were upgraded along with programming. The TBI system is, IMO, old technology but still functional. If this were a true fuel injection installation, the injector nozzles would be in the intake runners near the mounting flange, angled at the port centerline, supplied higher fuel pressure, supplied by a fuel rail. Would I spend the money for a TBI system....no...but its up to you, the car owner. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Let me guess you like efi?

Auto Transport Service
Back