• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Carb do I need

Here's a very important tuning item especially if running a bigger cam; Measure your intake manifold vacuum at idle with warm engine. What ever the reading is, make sure your power valve in the carb is set to open at least 1 "Hg lower. Big cams usually result in low manifold vacuum and if the power valve isn't the correct setting for low vacuum, it will hang open at idle and load up the engine with too much fuel. When that happens, you can have engine stalling at idle, fouled spark plugs and worse, a lean backfire through the carb when you transfer off-idle onto the main jets. So if your manifold vacuum is at 6 or 7 "Hg, you want your power valve to be set to open at approx. 5.5 to 6.5 "Hg. Holley power valves come stamped with the vacuum setting on them, and are available in ranges from 10.5 down to 4.5"Hg. Happy tuning.
With 3:73 gearing and a manual trans, a well tuned 750 or 800 cfm double pumper will do well for street/strip.

ok I am starting down the rabbit hole now. I have the car in my possession (1967 coronet 500 with a 440/4 speed). I know the carb needs work so i need info from you guys with experience. the engine is a 440 with flat top pistons, headwork and a purpleshaft cam. the intake is a Torker with an edlebrock carb sitting on it. should I go thru the carb or go with something different and if so suggestions. Thanks in advance guys and you know all the specs of the engine as i know them right now.

Holley Dominator

No but really, I would run a 4150/4160 Holley 750. It's a street car, and it will be easier to tune and have better throttle response with a smaller carburetor.

More importantly, learn to tune with a Wideband if you haven't already. You can purchase a Wideband 02 gauge setup for $150 and it's the best piece of tuning equipment you can have outside of a timing light.

I ran the 509 cam in my 67 440 using a TM7 manifold and the factory 4327S AFB carb. I didn’t have to go too far away from stock metering rods and/or adjustments.

ok I am starting down the rabbit hole now. I have the car in my possession (1967 coronet 500 with a 440/4 speed). I know the carb needs work so i need info from you guys with experience. the engine is a 440 with flat top pistons, headwork and a purpleshaft cam. the intake is a Torker with an edlebrock carb sitting on it. should I go thru the carb or go with something different and if so suggestions. Thanks in advance guys and you know all the specs of the engine as i know them right now.
Call Holley.com the techs there are excellent and can tell you what size carb to use. Friendly guys.

From my limited experience, l like the ease of edelbrock for they seem to be bolt on ready for stock and mild builds, holley appears to have the almost unlimited ability to "dial it in" especially on performance builds.

Auto Transport Service
Back