• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What gasket sealers does everyone like to use?

400sforever

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
I’m curious as to what products you guys use for installing water pump gaskets, oil pump gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and timing cover gaskets? do you put them on dry or use some form of sealant? Thanks!

I like to use Permatex High Tack on water pump gaskets just to glue them in place. Good gaskets and clean, flat surfaces are really all you should need. I do use a little silicone sealant in the corners.
Mike

Permatex #2 non hardening on just about anything. Little bit, don’t need a lot. Sort of like the glue comment above.

This is THE best stuff I have ever used. It is NOT cheap.

383 81 ccc.jpg

I'm a fan of Grey Permatex or Toyota Seal Packing 103

I use Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket, and #2 quite a bit. I think the #2 is about the same as the old Indian Head stuff that a lot of guys liked.

Last edited:
1692925097107.png
I think I started using this around 1972 or so. Ask me how many leaks I've had on customers, or my cars.... the answer resembles the letter OH.

I’m not against the Permatex products at all. I typically have great luck with them.
But one of our customers gave me a bunch of these to try a few years ago. Made locally here in Rochester, NY. Easy to dispense and store. Works just as well as any Permatex product I’ve used. Also comes in a variety of colors.

IMG_3156.jpeg

Gasket sealers are a "depends on what I'm sealing" thing. For general purpose like sealing water or oil I use permanent ultra Grey. I never use anything but permatex high tack on the oil pump Gasket. I use copper coat on steel shim head gaskets. I don't use any sealer on fel-pro head gaskets.

Permatex High Tack gasket sealer and Copper Spray-A-Gasket more often than anything else. Still use a little Ultra Grey in some locations and a light application of red RTV on exhaust manifold surfaces. Permatex #2 for thread sealer where oil is involved. Trying to stay away from the abuse of RTV by slathering it all over everything. I’ve learned to value the ability to disassemble parts and not spend hours on cleanup. For that reason, although I have a couple tubes of the Right Stuff, I won’t use it on anything there is even a remote chance I may need to ever take apart again.

Loctite 518 for everything except oil pan gaskets. Great Stuff for oil pan gaskets.

Felpro head gasket - nothing
Oil pump - nothing
Intake - nothing
Water pump - nothing
Timing cover - whatever RTV I have on the shelf
Oil pan - RTV, no gasket.

Auto Transport Service
Back