• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pump not priming

Sounds good.
That is a BIG alternator pulley!

Sounds good.
That is a BIG alternator pulley!

With 4.10's the engine is buzzing 4K to keep up with traffic on the freeway. Slowing the alternator down seemed like a good idea. The charging system still works just fine...

Last edited:
So i had a similar experience .
“ new” pump from 440 source .
Would not prime !!!
Finally got it to prime ran engine all good .
Then changed the oil and would not prime again!!!!
Removed pump and compared to other pumps and figured out somebody had swapped the hv id payed for for a bad stock style one !!!
Put in a new hv from melling primed in 3 seconds !!
Get rid of the pump and get a new one my opinion.

So i had a similar experience .
“ new” pump from 440 source .
Would not prime !!!
Finally got it to prime ran engine all good .
Then changed the oil and would not prime again!!!!
Removed pump and compared to other pumps and figured out somebody had swapped the hv id payed for for a bad stock style one !!!
Put in a new hv from melling primed in 3 seconds !!
Get rid of the pump and get a new one my opinion.

Thanks, the issue was solved on Thursday morning and the only thing it cost was a couple hours of my time…

Gotta love a happy ending. A bit messy but I always fill the oil filter before I install it. Come to think of it, I made less mess when I was younger, must be modern oil. Couldn’t be cuz I’m old and slow

I seen an episode of ROADKILL GARAGE " LUV IT" Freiburger n Dulcich were having the same issue...they BURPED the oil filter while cranking n cured it...they said it is a common issue with B.B MOPARS... :moparsmiley:

I always fill the filter before installing, but the horizontal position of the filter on B motors lets me only fill 1/2 way, I do let oil sit in to get filter saturated then empty 1/2 to install. Most newer cars I have the filter is vertical. The worst is the slant six with the filter upside down.

Auto Transport Service
Back