• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What heads for a 383 now but to go on a 440 later

dubs chops

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
I know this sounds strange but the FrankenRunner currently has a 383 in it, I want to eventually build a 440, My thoughts are can I buy or build a set of heads now, (Possibly Aluminum) that would work well on the 440 also?

Sure,They will work with both.Lots out there.Just depends on how wild you want to go. In my neck of the woods,iron heads cost about $1000 to have done.Many just go the aluminum route.You can spend anywhere from $1000 to $3000,again depending on how you want to build.

Doubt I'll ever go much over 600hp is there a good aluminum head for around 1500? Does everyone just go with edelbrock?

Edelbrock is in your price range. Trick Flow about $2400.440 Source about $1100. I have run the Edelbrocks and was happy with them. I have a set of 440 Source but are not installed yet.Both are bolt on, but should be disassembled and checked before using.Some have bolted them on without a problem,others have had complaints from both companies.

You could also try to scrounge a set of 915 castings.
I have a pair...but they're not for sale.

The thing about EZs or Trick Flow heads on a 383 is the small bore size (4.25") in relation to the valve sizes (2.19/1.81 and 2.19/ 1.76). I would recommend at least a .030" overbore and go easy on the lift. I have found that around .680" lift you start getting valves that hit the cylinder wall on a 383.

Sounds like the edelbrocks will be the easiest. Is there any downside to them? $1000 cheaper makes me wonder why.

They seem to be good heads. Lots of people run them and make decent if not good power with them. All depends on what you want. 600hp is a very attainable goal with just about any aftermarket "worked" head. Edelbrock makes chevy and ford parts too, indy don't... just sayin...

Edelbrock RPM heads are $1,700/pr and the Trick flows are $1,990/pr. All heads should be checked out by a good mechanic/machine shop. If you have them service prepped there are possibilities of substantial flow increases as a by product of the service.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/ootb-stealth-vs-prepped-stealth.116833/

The Edelbrock heads benefit from the service prep somewhat like the Stealth heads. The Trick Flow heads are the best OOTB but I've needed to hone the guides some and clean them to remove metal flakes from the ports.

I have a set of iron 915 2.08"/1.74". They are for sale. You can also go stealth alum.

Auto Transport Service
Back