• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is everyone working on in the off season.

I think you have to be 62 1/2 to get ss. I didn't take mine till I was 67. now 70. things I used to do in a day takes me almost a week its a bitch getting old
I like to think we're fussier about how things are done.

Nice to see it going together. As for the age, don't rub your youth in kid!
Youngster. I came home and put struts and shocks on a customer car after work yesterday for racecar money. I'll be 66 this year.
Doug
u guys r my hero's! 2 years of roof loading at the beginning of my career in the dist industry r haunting me, along with years of distance running and lifting heavy weight for the high of it...i'm a little sore today but its a good pain, and its done waiting for assembly. trying to stay healthy now and go the distance, keeping the weight down is the #1 priorty .

I think you have to be 62 1/2 to get ss. I didn't take mine till I was 67. now 70. things I used to do in a day takes me almost a week its a bitch getting old
62 is the age. the trick is filling out the paper work 6 months before u turn 62, and it will engage on your birthday,,so i'm told.. i will test that theory march 1st when i fill it all out , birthdays in august.

One good thing about getting old is if you screw up everybody forgives you because your old.

You can collect at 62. Every year you wait until 70 gains you 8%/year in benefits. The "year" you can pull benefits without penalty against your current work wages varies with the year you were born.
Doug

this is what im working on hopefully run some NSS events

!cid__part-2000000000022049_.jpg

62 is the age. the trick is filling out the paper work 6 months before u turn 62, and it will engage on your birthday,,so i'm told.. i will test that theory march 1st when i fill it all out , birthdays in august.

I just did it, filled out the paperwork 3 months in advance and receiving it. FWIW, they are 1 month behind on payments so you will start actually getting your August payment early September.

[QUOTE="stage3, post:i'm a little sore today but its a good pain, and its done waiting for assembly. trying to stay healthy now and go the distance, keeping the weight down is the #1 priorty .[/QUOTE]
Believe me I feel it. Also not as quick as I once was. I've been an auto tech since 74. For the last 8 years doing electrical debug on prototypes for Chrysler engineering. Physically less work. Another year and I'm going to hang it up there. Then just some garage jobs to stay busy. More time to race.
Doug

[QUOTE="stage3, post:i'm a little sore today but its a good pain, and its done waiting for assembly. trying to stay healthy now and go the distance, keeping the weight down is the #1 priorty .
Believe me I feel it. Also not as quick as I once was. I've been an auto tech since 74. For the last 8 years doing electrical debug on prototypes for Chrysler engineering. Physically less work. Another year and I'm going to hang it up there. Then just some garage jobs to stay busy. More time to race.
Doug[/QUOTE]
—-
I’m feeling it too. Need carpal tunnel jobs on both wrists and a cortisone shot in the left shoulder would be great. Spent 41 years in the same place. Started as a kid sweeping floors, ended up managing the 140 unit fleet. In the early days, tuning those 2 stroke Detroit’s, high speed governor set with the blower uncapped, yep sounded cool. At least my hearing aids are covered! Was a great career though.

Doug
—-
I’m feeling it too. Need carpal tunnel jobs on both wrists and a cortisone shot in the left shoulder would be great. Spent 41 years in the same place. Started as a kid sweeping floors, ended up managing the 140 unit fleet. In the early days, tuning those 2 stroke Detroit’s, high speed governor set with the blower uncapped, yep sounded cool. At least my hearing aids are covered! Was a great career though.[/QUOTE]
OK guys....or should I say "youngsters LOL,
I bought my first 1963 Max Wedge Aluminum Nose car brand new when I was 21 years old.
You do the math....LOL

You can collect at 62. Every year you wait until 70 gains you 8%/year in benefits. The "year" you can pull benefits without penalty against your current work wages varies with the year you were born.
Doug
yes u will but, wheter u live long enough to make up for all the $$$ u could have been collecting is anybodys guess,,if i wait until 66 to collect, i will have not collected 90.000.00,,,from 62-66, at an addtional 600.00 per month it would take 12.5 years to make up the lost $$$ by waiting to collect..i will take the money at 62 and go on a 12 day mediteranion greek island cruise amongst others.

yes u will but, wheter u live long enough to make up for all the $$$ u could have been collecting is anybodys guess,,if i wait until 66 to collect, i will have not collected 90.000.00,,,from 62-66, at an addtional 600.00 per month it would take 12.5 years to make up the lost $$$ by waiting to collect..i will take the money at 62 and go on a 12 day mediteranion greek island cruise amongst others.
—-
I know it’s hardly apples to apples but I took mine as soon as I could. I’m a Canuck and here it’s called CPP. The equation here is at about 72 you even out. Who knows where the hell Ill be then, if I croak payments stop. Problem is that at tax time that Csucker Trudeau gouges back about 30% each year.

I'll be taking my CPP in 2 years when I turn 60. No way that I'm waiting 'till 65, only to croak a few months short with my Wife then only getting $2500 TAXABLE vs the $32K or so I'd collect taking it at 60 and dying before 65. My old man died at 59, so I'll take that bet...

I'll be taking my CPP in 2 years when I turn 60. No way that I'm waiting 'till 65, only to croak a few months short with my Wife then only getting $2500 TAXABLE vs the $32K or so I'd collect taking it at 60 and dying before 65. My old man died at 59, so I'll take that bet...
My father died 1 month before turning 65. I was going to retire at 62 but dislocated an ankle at 59 and 8 months. A year later SSDI and full benefits .70 now still bum ankle but painkillers in moderation so I can work on my toys.

I didn't take it at 62 and will wait until this fall. If you pull before your full retirement age (in my case 66) you cant make much over $17K/year without penalty. You will have to give back a % of your benefit. At your full retirement year you can take full SS and make as much as you want without penalty. From 62 you will gain the 8% every year you wait until 70. But as stated you don't collect SS those years either.
Doug

----
You'll need to call and tell them to take a deduction or come tax time they'll hit you for about 3K.

I'm living out of pocket, off the years of past.. so CPP won't put me beyond the personal tax deductions. I'll pay nothing, although I should start pulling RSP's at minimal amount and tax that I deferred years ago when I would have lost 51% or so.

OK guys....or should I say "youngsters LOL,
I bought my first 1963 Max Wedge Aluminum Nose car brand new when I was 21 years old.
You do the math....LOL

Mike it is awesome you are still doing what you what you love and be competive. I can only hope to be still active and enjoying cars and racing later in life. I have a friend that's 77 and still has the passion and races when he can. Best of luck with the new 64 hemi you have.

I’ve been away from this thread for a while. Probably because I haven’t done a damn think since parking the car last fall. I’m getting some cabin fever though, and will be making an order for some parts real soon. LemonWedge will jettison the stock belt driven accessories setup, and be treated to an electric water pump and fan setup.
I continue to struggle with the internal battle between staying the course with my ‘67, which really has reached and already pushed past what my original goal for it was, and selling it off and starting fresh with what I really lust for, and NSS style early B build. I see myself someday behind the wheel of either a 63 Dodge or 65 Plymouth 2-door sedan fully dedicated race car. But every time I think in that direction, I also think I’m now not far from pushing LemonWedge to that same vibe and performance level. Back & forth..... this is how my winters go.

I’ve been away from this thread for a while. Probably because I haven’t done a damn think since parking the car last fall. I’m getting some cabin fever though, and will be making an order for some parts real soon. LemonWedge will jettison the stock belt driven accessories setup, and be treated to an electric water pump and fan setup.
I continue to struggle with the internal battle between staying the course with my ‘67, which really has reached and already pushed past what my original goal for it was, and selling it off and starting fresh with what I really lust for, and NSS style early B build. I see myself someday behind the wheel of either a 63 Dodge or 65 Plymouth 2-door sedan fully dedicated race car. But every time I think in that direction, I also think I’m now not far from pushing LemonWedge to that same vibe and performance level. Back & forth..... this is how my winters go.
You can make that very car go 9.99 with the right parts. My 66 Coronet went [email protected] and the very next run it went 10.04 and 131.54 and that was the end of the races for that day. I then sold it to the fella in Denmark.
I know the next outing with just a little more tweaking it would be 9.99.
Check out my build and also Malex's build.
I don't know how far you are along on your motor the way it sits.
My setup was pretty basic as shown in my signature line.
Go for it....

Auto Transport Service
Back