• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the going rate for a 68 these days?

Stampy167

Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been thinking about selling my 68 recently due to how little I actually use it and am curious on what the popular opinion is on how much it might be worth if I do. I haven't committed one way or the other. It has sentimental value but also takes up a lot of space and gets used very little. It is currently in Wisconsin.

Some of the details are:
Originally a 318 car. Currently has a 440 in it. It was a bare metal restore (if you can call it a restore?) in 1995 for which I have most of the receipts for.
Rust free, paint is fine from several feet away. It is single stage. Has some cracks in the paint, some flakes missing showing the primer etc. Looks fine as is but that would/will be my next move.
General details
440 bored 30 over
292 Purple Shaft cam
6 pack pistons
Double roller timing chain
Polished crank in '95
ARP rod bolts
Trickflow Power Port 240 Aluminum heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM high rise manifold
850 cfm Custom Pro Systems double pumper carb
MSD 8546 distributor
MSD Blaster 2 high performance coil
MSD 6-AL Ignition kit
Taylor 10mm Racing wires
Iridium spark plugs
727 torque flight with manual valve body shift kit
Trans Cooler
Lightning stick shifter
Blue plate clutches
B&M Holeshot 3000 stall torque converter
3.91 8-¾ rear
Hooker Super comp 2” primaries 3.5 collector.
3” Flowmaster exhaust
Optimum red top battery
KYG gas adjust shocks up front
Refurbed stock suspension
1.14” torsion bars
215/70/14 front 325/50/15 rear
Manual front disc brake conversion w/ line lock

Power steering leaks.
Most guages are a guess if anything.

CleanShot 2023-08-18 at 08.55.49@2x.png

driver side.jpg

interior.jpg

moreinterior.jpg

passengerside.jpg

steeringwheel.jpg

engine bay.jpg

Probably should have mentioned it is a running, driving car.

It would be worth $50 g's wouldn't it?

Era Chargers are worth good money. OEM BB's worth more. Was the body decent (rusted seriously) or been restored nicely? Check Hagerty, and the variety of auto-auction websites, to give you some ballpark figures.

Might check e-bay for completed sales on 68 Chargers.

68's seem to command big numbers $$$ wise

Is this possible?
440 bored 30 over
292 Purple Shaft cam
6 pack pistons, Hopefully you meant rods.

I think Hagerty would be more useful to me (valuator wise) if my car were in some stock configuration. I dont want to choose an R/T because it has a 440, but also dont want to choose a base 318 either. I'll take a look at some of the larger auctions and completed sales on ebay. From current listing wise, I find them all over the map. Plenty of opportunities to buy a rusted heap for like 18k from a guy "who knows what he has". I guess my question might be better posed as this since everyone here is an enthusiast for the B Body:
IF you were in the market, what would you be hypotheically willing to pay that is considered fair providing I am not hiding anything and it is as presented? Not need for actual offers.

I don't mean to make this a do-my-research-for-me post. Kinda just looking for gut feeling/opinions. Thanks for any feedback, it is all appreciated.

Is this possible?
440 bored 30 over
292 Purple Shaft cam
6 pack pistons, Hopefully you meant rods.
Possible to go 30 over or .030 over.....and I don't understand the question about 6 pack pistons.

“Six Pack” pistons have the 4 valve reliefs in them. A lot of high compression 440’s of the era use that TRW style replacement.

TRW/Speed Pro 2355 is typically referred to as the "Sixpack" Piston...

Car looks like a good example of a very desirable body style.... I think low 40's would sell pretty quick.... Upper 40's your gonna sit on it for quite awhile...

TRW/Speed Pro 2355 is typically referred to as the "Sixpack" Piston...

Car looks like a good example of a very desirable body style.... I think low 40's would sell pretty quick.... Upper 40's your gonna sit on it for quite awhile...
Thanks! Exactly the type of info I was hoping for, but also right in that "maybe" area for selling.

With all the junk out there 40k would be a steal. Mid to upper 50's would be my guess.

Mid to upper 50's would be my guess.
If true, 50 is my cutoff from maybe to will. Recent Ebay results: inconclusive. That plum crazy for 56k is a roller but included an engine and trans from a 71. The 35k one is in worse shape than mine but the only one there that currently runs (sans the 69 for 109k).

CleanShot 2023-08-18 at 14.49.55@2x.png

OK I wasn't sure because it was bored 30 over if it would still be considered actually 6 pack pistons since they would be aftermarket.

Agree with pnora, ask 58 take 50-53.

While sad for the true enthusiast, the fact is if you find the right buyer (young, wealthy, Fast and Furious fan, non-Mopar expert) you could see more. There are rusted hulks for $25k.
If you're in no rush, then put $70k on it and see how you go.

Auto Transport Service
Back