• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what other non car projects are you working on?

Been working on a patio/firepit in my free time. Gonna be real busy with harvest soon so hopefully can get this nearly done before then.

20180919_152121.jpg 20180929_132130.jpg

Can you say wood working projects (continued)

The fourth project is recently started is working on this late 1800's early 1900's armoire. It belonged to my great aunt, and came from Louisiana 40 years ago and was in the rafters at my late parents house. Its in rough shape, with water damage, mice and termite damage, dry split parts, and missing parts.

Here is an idea of what it looked like when I got started, this is one of the doors.
View attachment 658496
Here is the center part after sanding and getting ready to remove the veneer from the center, as it was water damaged and cracked and pealing.
View attachment 658499

Repaired the side panel for the bottom of the armoire as a big chunk of wood was broken off and missing.
View attachment 658500

Put the sides and back on just for giggles to get an idea of how it was all fitting together.
View attachment 658501

Its coming along, I will be surprised if I get this one done by the end of the year, its a big piece of furniture, 7.5 feet tall, so hopefully I can find a place to put it when it gets done.
I thought I would post an update of this armoire that I restored, its finally all back together, and I am surprised how well It came out after being neglected for 40+ years and exposed to heat, cold, dry and wet weather. Its amazing! I was fortunate to find a local supply company that maintains reproduction parts for antique furniture and was able to identify what style of drawer pulls were on it by the style of the keyhole cover. I could not find original lift off hinges for the door, so I was able to find some brass hinges that have at least removable hinge pins, and ground them down to fit the original hinge cutouts, as I didn't want to remove any wood.
20181129_123746.jpg

Another project I recently did was this sofa table. Neighbor down the street had it out front with a free sign on it. It was painted tan, and drawers were spray painted black. I took it apart, stripped the paint off, and I made a new top, the original top was particle board with crappy pine veneer on it, and I found this interesting center piece of common board at home depot, and thought I would make an interesting accent surrounded by pine stained black, the drawer fronts also stained black. I also covered up the fake wood pins that were on the legs, used specialty craft nails that were the same size as the square cut outs, and covered them, and just so happen to find matching knobs for the drawers. Now its a one of a kind table!
20181107_141907.jpg

Getting the bathroom finally put back together!!
KIMG0353.JPG
KIMG0352_01.JPG

Next step smooth the walls and hang the wall paper ! Then get the boarder trim stained and installed !

Well, I sold the Shasta trailer a few weeks ago, long story, but it's with an appreciative new owner. I've now redirected my attention toward my '54 Hudson Super Jet, (pictured) which has sat for a year now in the shop. I'm trying my hand at creating new inner door panels from scratch. Bought the plastic backing board and the upholstery material, and now, I'm reconfiguring my workspace to accommodate the work. I've also picked up a few other bits for the car. The goal is to have the car drivable and mostly complete by Spring.

Just found out about a freshly-wrecked Jet in California with a bunch of parts I need, so I'm checking into that for more stuff.

20181130_171427.jpg

I thought I would get back in the loop with some non car projects. I found this weather vane, well, it was just the directional and it was painted yellow when I got it. It did not have the arrow, so after stripping the paint off of it, I found it was made of solid copper and brass. So, I decided to make a new arrow for it out of solid brass. Here is what it looks like, and I think the arrow looks like it belongs to the weather vane. Now its just art work that sits on a shelf in my office.
20190403_000732.jpg

Closer view of the arrow.
20190403_000749.jpg

Finishing the basement:(. I don't know if the wife just hates me or if she's just bad with timing because as soon as I started the addition on the garage it's been one thing after the other:screwy:?

This has been a real mess, I poured the floor myself with help of coarse back when I had more energy than brains on one of the hottest days of the year so needless to say although it looked smooth and flat it was anything but FLAT OR LEVEL!! Lots of cutting, chiseling and many buckets of leveling compound fixed it up then the Ditra membrane at bobtile's recommendation.. thanks Bob for your input:thumbsup:.

Of coarse since my daughter has a room in the basement now she wants a bathroom where I had never anticipated having a fully finished bath so more obstacles:BangHead:. Needed to raise the floor 3" for a toilet flange which lead to figuring out how to hide the elevation change so a partition was built. Had to hide all of the drainage pipes and plumbing so I'll be building a huge cabinet to make use of the space while hiding the piping:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:.

This is a poured basement using a foam form if anybody questions the exposed 4" of red ties and foam. The best way I could figure for installing baseboards was to glue and screw 1/2" plywood along the bottom, it worked out nice seeing how the plastic ties are thick and take screws very well:thumbsup:.
20190220_211227.jpg
20190129_205812.jpg
20190317_201135.jpg

My none car projects mostly consist of antique/racing outboard restorations. Below is one of my more recent projects. This a Swedish racing outboard known as a Crescent 500cs. These were imported in the USA in the late 60's to run in the super C class. There where roughly 50-60 of these imported.

KIMG2276.JPG KIMG1032.JPG KIMG1012.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back