• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What temp thermostat to use?

I'm running a 160 & I would never go above 180, either/or. J11y heat range to start with & go from there with plug readings.

Can someone school me on resistor or non resistor plugs? Got no idea which one I should use.

Msd recommends a resister with their boxes. I run resistor plugs in the dart and rr. 511 uses a BKR6E. Readily avaliable at the auto parts store for around $20 a set. That's at 10.5. If your up over a 11 try the BKR7E

Msd recommends a resister with their boxes. I run resistor plugs in the dart and rr. 511 uses a BKR6E. Readily avaliable at the auto parts store for around $20 a set. That's at 10.5. If your up over a 11 try the BKR7E
Thanks, I’ll be running the 6-AL digital box so I’ll look at resistor style

For the most part, 180. Don't forget the coolant must have enough time in the radiator to dissipate heat.

180° is my choice also. There isn't a racer on the planet that races with a cold engine. Engines seal up and run more efficiently at operating temp. 160° isn't there yet.

Nice price on the brk7e, gonna try these out.

CC299F9A-FBE8-455E-A0C9-6E951E056FAD.png

Resistor type stop 'popping' in radio & the same for everyone near you, including TV's going crazy when you go down the road(at least back before cable)!
Now I'm curious, is a BKE 7 hotter(?) and why go there with higher compression?

Resistor type stop 'popping' in radio & the same for everyone near you, including TV's going crazy when you go down the road(at least back before cable)!

Now I'm curious, is a BKE 7 hotter(?) and why go there with higher compression?

7 is colder than a 6. Ngk numbers are opposite of say a champion.

You guys know that the thermostat does not set the operating temp of the engine, right?

It only sets the time it takes to warm up.

Using a low temp tstat means you are subjecting your engine to longer periods of low temperature operation during the most damaging time- cold.
That is not true. The thermostat DOES control the operating temperature.

"Perhaps the most common example of purely mechanical thermostat technology in use today is the internal combustion engine cooling system thermostat, used to maintain the engine near its optimum operating temperature by regulating the flow of coolant to an air-cooled radiator. This type of thermostat operates using a sealed chamber containing a wax pellet that melts and expands at a set temperature. The expansion of the chamber operates a rod which opens a valve when the operating temperature is exceeded. The operating temperature is determined by the composition of the wax. Once the operating temperature is reached, the thermostat progressively increases or decreases its opening in response to temperature changes, dynamically balancing the coolant recirculation flow and coolant flow to the radiator to maintain the engine temperature in the optimum range."

Looking for suggestions on what temp thermostat to use on my 535”.

180, 160?

Thanks
Because I have electric fans with a very accurate Dakota Digital controller, I use a 160 and let the fans regulate the top temperature I want. Set at 185 (on) and 178 (off) they cycle accordingly. On the highway the temp reads 175 and the fans are off. In the city they come on at 185 and hold that.I have a 512 stroker.

I don't know who wrote that but it's wrong.

You can NOT lower the operating temp by installing a lower temp rated tstat.

You merely increase the amount of time it takes to reach the operating temp, thereby causing excessive wear.

...and for the record, the wikipedia entry for Plymouth Satellite shows a picture of a Belvedere.

I corrected it, but it got put back.

So...what happens if you remove the thermostat entirely?

What sets the operating temp and what is that temp?

Depends on the ability of the cooling system combined with the size and resenence time.

So I got on summit to order up a couple things I need and now my cart sits at $563.00, why does this always happen?!

It is a a Street strip car, by street I mean just cruising to local shows now and then. I do have a fitech 1200 up top that can control both fans so I’ll have that set up also. Think I’ll try the 180 first and see how that goes.
I have a fast 2.0 on my 505, but only running one elec. fan w/ a mech. belt driven fan. Haven`t had the need for a second elec. Ina 68 barracuda fastback , there aint much room for a second one anyway.

Can someone school me on resistor or non resistor plugs?
Pretty simple. Depends on the type of ignition you have, and type of plug wires used.
Non resistor plugs, usually go with solid core plug wires, copper or stainless steel. Not saying the later plug wires won't work...but, how well?

Electronic ignition uses non resistor wires and plugs. You know...new and improved! :)

So...what happens if you remove the thermostat entirely?

What sets the operating temp and what is that temp?
Nothing, it runs unregulated. Probably way too cool.

My car had a 190 in it when I bought it and it ran at 200+. I put a 180 in it and I rarely ever see more than 185.

Why in the world would anyone want to vary the warm up time? You want it to get to operating temperature as quick as possible. There is no logical reason the extend that time. Thermostats are meant to control operating temperatures. That is just plain and simple engine basics.

Auto Transport Service
Back