• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What The Hell! Now WHAT! oil pressure

Once you finish the compression test post the results They will be a hair low from having a cold engine. make sure you pull the all the plugs, have your carb at full throttle with the fuel line pinched off or plugged and battery charged up with the charger on it while cranking. do not over heat your starter.
Great time to have the new pump drive in , get the balancer mark at TDC and install that pump drive with the slot running front to back not cross ways. May take a couple stabs ( :

valve covers off so you can see valve train/ rocker function and oiling. Just toss a old towel along the bottom edge of the heads.

Once your ready to get things back together barrow a dwell meter if you do not have one for setting the { New } set of points and condenser.

I wouldn't spin that engine over until you can turn the oil pump and get some oil pressure. MO.

Once you finish the compression test post the results They will be a hair low from having a cold engine. make sure you pull the all the plugs, have your carb at full throttle with the fuel line pinched off or plugged and battery charged up with the charger on it while cranking. do not over heat your starter.
Great time to have the new pump drive in , get the balancer mark at TDC and install that pump drive with the slot running front to back not cross ways. May take a couple stabs ( :

valve covers off so you can see valve train/ rocker function and oiling. Just toss a old towel along the bottom edge of the heads.

Once your ready to get things back together barrow a dwell meter if you do not have one for setting the { New } set of points and condenser.

Well, I tested 3 cylinders and got 160 on all. I can't take all the spark plugs out because of the headers. I ordered a new starter, oil pump (even though I may not need one), electronic distributor and intermediate oil shaft. I hope no other damage was done. I'm still messing around with the idea of a new top end from Hughes engines but thats cutting into my repaint money. I keep on thinking its a good thing to do, there may be more damage somewhere like a bent rod or rocker, you never know.

I wouldn't spin that engine over until you can turn the oil pump and get some oil pressure. MO.

**** I never even thought about that. Damn it, I hope I didn't do any damage!

I didn't want you spinning it without the valve covers off and pump drive installed so you could see oil flow. Only checking 3 holes your prob ok, but make sure to get the pump drive in or a hex rod and spin the pump with the covers off.
160 is a good number with a cold engine.
You need to pull the other 5 plugs, they will come out just takes some cussin and the right combo of flex head socket , plug socket and open end wrench ect. sometimes the right side has better access from under the car depends on brand of header

Damn it, I hope I didn't do any damage!
How long did you run it? I've always figured 10-15 seconds, without oil pressure, the crank bearings 'can' start to score. Of course, no way to tell, without actually looking. That said, always want at least the oil pump/oil ports loaded with oil, before trying to start.

And, don't get me wrong...if you feel there's a problem with the pump...go for it! Fact is, the pump wasn't pumping because, it wasn't being turned!
A so-called new pump? Been there, even straight out of Mopar, once. Took it apart, to measure clearances (all good), but didn't like the casting flaws, or gears banged around some. Little rub-a dub, to my satisfaction, and slapped it on.

Do what ya gotta do!

How long did you run it? I've always figured 10-15 seconds, without oil pressure, the crank bearings 'can' start to score. Of course, no way to tell, without actually looking. That said, always want at least the oil pump/oil ports loaded with oil, before trying to start.

And, don't get me wrong...if you feel there's a problem with the pump...go for it! Fact is, the pump wasn't pumping because, it wasn't being turned!
A so-called new pump? Been there, even straight out of Mopar, once. Took it apart, to measure clearances (all good), but didn't like the casting flaws, or gears banged around some. Little rub-a dub, to my satisfaction, and slapped it on.

Do what ya gotta do!

I probably ran it too long. I did check the compression a couple of times for 3 cylinders. I probably did some damage! What happens if it runs like this? Is my engine gone now?

Im no pro,but since the engine was not started and just spun with a starter I would put it back together then making sure you have oil pressure with a new pump or testing the old one. Fire it & see what it sounds like and what kind of pressure you have and go from there.
If it has low pressure or noise your going to be tearing it down.

Lots of guys would stop right were you are and tear it down checking bearings ect.
Choice is yours, With the 160# on those 3 holes it seems like it is or was a pretty sound engine. but no way to know unless all 8 are checked you could have 3 more at 90#s

Im no pro,but since the engine was not started and just spun with a starter I would put it back together then making sure you have oil pressure with a new pump or testing the old one. Fire it & see what it sounds like and what kind of pressure you have and go from there.
If it has low pressure or noise your going to be tearing it down.

Lots of guys would stop right were you are and tear it down checking bearings ect.
Choice is yours, With the 160# on those 3 holes it seems like it is or was a pretty sound engine. but no way to know unless all 8 are checked you could have 3 more at 90#s

I also forgot I DID have the engine running when the starter kicked back and I'm afraid that's when the intermediate oil shaft broke before the engine was running. The more I think about it I don't think I have a choice in having it checked out and rebuilt. I don't want to put all that money into the top end only to have something happen later! I guess repainting the car will have to wait until next year...

I also forgot I DID have the engine running when the starter kicked back and I'm afraid that's when the intermediate oil shaft broke before the engine was running. The more I think about it I don't think I have a choice in having it checked out and rebuilt. I don't want to put all that money into the top end only to have something happen later! I guess repainting the car will have to wait until next year...

Well there you go. If it ran awhile with no oil pressure you need to take the pan off and check some rod and main bearings. pull valve covers and check rockers and shafts for heat / no oil signs.
Let us know what you find.

Just an unfortunate round of events. It happens.
Now means it's possible to save parts, and make it right.
Later means it will only cost more, in replacing parts.

Block bore size. I managed with +.020, on my 440.

Auto Transport Service
Back