• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Trick Flow Head?

bottom end is stock stroke 440 with Icon forged pistons and a Lunati hydraulic roller cam.
Another stock stroke 440...
And I was "sure" I was going to build a stroker motor...
I'm going to have to reach out to my friend :lowdown:@IQ52 before I put my money down for a build so I can be confident in my decision.
I still have to have the money for a build. LOL.
Mentor70-Why 270s vs 240s??
The 240s are a better match for my dual plane Edelbrock/Chrysler 6bbl intake, but it seems like you have a medium build? Hydraulic cam is why I'm assuming that.
Here you go Wrmryder. This is on the bench, checking the rockers centered on valve.

View attachment 678101
Wagonman, AFAIK that looks PERFECT to me, but I don't know much.

Sorry about my spelling of your handle, fat fingers on the phone and a few to many POPS last nite.

I
Another stock stroke 440...
And I was "sure" I was going to build a stroker motor...
I'm going to have to reach out to my friend :lowdown:@IQ52 before I put my money down for a build so I can be confident in my decision.
I still have to have the money for a build. LOL.
Mentor70-Why 270s vs 240s??
The 240s are a better match for my dual plane Edelbrock/Chrysler 6bbl intake, but it seems like you have a medium build? Hydraulic cam is why I'm assuming that.

Wagonman, AFAIK that looks PERFECT to me, but I don't know much.
think there is only 1 manifold that will fit the 270s.

the Mod Man Intake can be made to fit the 270 heads...Max wedge port. Indy also has a MW port single plane, and Mancini racing has a CNC ported Max wedge cross ram...limited choices for sure.

many say that the 240 port is plenty, but even the 270 ports a small compared to the Chevys.

even the 270 ports a small compared to the Chevys
I'm surprised to hear that.
I've always been impressed by MOPAR engineering, the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Hemis in particular, and even the Gen 3 now that they are supercharging them. Rocker shafts, Max Wedge ports and head design....
Still for my intake and horsepower and torque goals, as well as my use being mostly street and cruising, a 650 or so torque and approaching 600 HP goals I'm sure will be great, and the TF 240s are just the ticket, especially with the dual plane Edelbrock/Chrysler 6bbl intake. I'm expecting huge torque over a wide RPM range!

wagon guy
is that rolling the motor over several times?
if so amazing

wagon guy
if so amazing
No Sir, heads are off just mocking the rockers. Have not got a cam yet. Put the rockers on, shimmed for side clearance,sharpie on the stems and rolled the tips with my fingers. When I get the cam will use lite springs with an adjustable push rod and see whats what at that time.

I'm surprised to hear that.
I've always been impressed by MOPAR engineering, the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Hemis in particular, and even the Gen 3 now that they are supercharging them. Rocker shafts, Max Wedge ports and head design....
Still for my intake and horsepower and torque goals, as well as my use being mostly street and cruising, a 650 or so torque and approaching 600 HP goals I'm sure will be great, and the TF 240s are just the ticket, especially with the dual plane Edelbrock/Chrysler 6bbl intake. I'm expecting huge torque over a wide RPM range!
Most of my buds run chevys, myself included. Even the BB chevy oval port intake ports are huge when ported compared to ours. The square port L-88 style are impressive stock. They are kind of low end down on torque but screamers in their own right. I love all American Old School Iron, even Fords. LOL. My Small Block Chevy wagon 355 11.5 with ported World Sportsman 2s and a solid cam 5 Speed Tremec 3.73s is a real pisser to drive.

wagon guy
if so amazing
No Sir, heads are off just mocking the rockers. Have not got a cam yet.
I was going to say...I've never seen rollers centered across every valve stem so perfectly.
My engine builder added lash caps when we had him rebuild the Pontiac 421. We reused the CompCams steel roller rockers that were on the engine when we got the car. Changed from a flat tappet hydraulic cam to a hydraulic roller cam.

I was going to say...I've never seen rollers centered across every valve stem so perfectly.
My engine builder added lash caps when we had him rebuild the Pontiac 421. We reused the CompCams steel roller rockers that were on the engine when we got the car. Changed from a flat tappet hydraulic cam to a hydraulic roller cam.
I am happy with the pattern so far. If needed I have shims for under the shaft when I check the geometry, or hopefully not have to mill the pedestils . Time and $$ will tell.

The 270 head uses the larger MW port size but almost everything else is the same. The same basic head casting and the same rocker arms. The 270 uses a smaller step over on the CNC porting so the ports are smoother than on the 240.

If you want to learn more about the Trick Flow heads you should read the articles on my website. I wrote 8 magazine articles on the Trick Flow heads using over 100 dyno tests. I tested manifolds, carbs, headers, cams, valve springs, etc. I think I did every test possible with those heads.

http://arengineering.com/tech/
just wanted to thank you!! used your book to build my motor, good book, thanks. Dave.

It is not how big the ports are it's how they flow and velocity been there done that with tunnel ports, Boss etc
when you get the heads on do the sharpie thing again and lets see how wide the stripe is
read the 4 tech articles on the B3 website
looks good

It is not how big the ports are it's how they flow and velocity been there done that with tunnel ports, Boss etc
when you get the heads on do the sharpie thing again and lets see how wide the stripe is
read the 4 tech articles on the B3 website
looks good
Have read the B3 over and over, lots to digest but very interesting read. Going to call one of the cam grinders like Porter or just fill out a form for advice. Got the short block together, need to do some more checking before I call it good. My buddy has a 454 Chevy with Oval ports that have been ported by one of our friends. With an old style L88 cam by Howards I have driven it and it is a dog on the bottom. Not my circus not my monkeys, If he is happy with it so am I.

Last edited:
My thoughts, if you're going to go into it, go all in with the TF 270s and run a 500-520 cube stroker combination to bring the torque peak down. Then again, if your fine with a stock-stroke combination, the TF 240s still have the air flow potential to make 600-hp with a relatively mild camshaft.

Got the new T.F. 240s today Real nice looking. Compared to the Stealths it is like looking at a Diamond is instead of a chunk of Coal. Hope they perform as good as they look. Now on to picking a cam.
Great choice, I did the same thing, Got the 240's and i'm very happy, for a street engine they are fantastic. I put them on a 451 and got 611 HP and 625 Tq and in a 79 Magnum XE @ 4200 LBS with driver got times of 11:68 @ 118 mph on radial tires and still more to come with better tuning. I did however experience turbulence and my engine builder Tom @ TK Race in Montreal (514-920-0094) who's ported many Mopar heads (the guy worked with Ray Barton for many years) fixed that problem very easily with some cleanup on the heads, He chose a nice cam as well with the help of Tim @ Hughes and voila easy 600 plus on both sides and very streetable. Also for more ideas go to Youtube site of Nick's Garage, he's a very good friend of mine and he has done several 440 with TFS240 and they too got 600HP with them with the right cam. They used a Comp Cams 241 247 hydraulic, The only drawback was low vacuum for brakes. Mine on the other hand was a milder cam and gave me 12.5 vacuum and worked well
Capture.JPG
with power brakes and broader power curve. I will add a Dyno sheet for you to look at. Good luck on your build

Last edited:
Great choice, I did the same thing, Got the 240's and i'm very happy, for a street engine they are fantastic. I put them on a 451 and got 611 HP and 625 Tq

We're finally understanding that cylinder heads are the key to big power, it's great to finally have a really nice package available for Mopars. That graph displays it all, 530 ft/lbs (+) from 2,700 - 5,900 RPM out of 451-cubes. Very well thought out combination of parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back