• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels and tires

61phoenix

Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
AF014B39-7A40-4E71-BCD7-9BD3E6874C32.jpeg
New here. I just purchased a 1961 Dodge Dart Phoenix convertible. It’s on its way from the east coast to northern Cali . My first of many questions to come is tire and wheel combos. I did not see anything posted in the past to cover my question . Going to do 17 inch rims. What’s the biggest size tire and wheel I can run? Backspacing ? Thx

Unique design. I don't go back to 61, my oldest is a 62 B body. 61 was a full size car. Short answer to your question, I have no idea. Maybe someone will chime in and help.

Welcome aboard from NJ. Sorry but the oldest I ever had was a 63 and that was a Dart! Since this purchase will most like cost quite a few bucks, I would buy a wheel fitment tool like Percy's. I bought one and it cost around $65. There are other tools out there. Other than, some very careful measuring on your part. Good Luck! :D

^^^^Yep, For rear,measure arch opening,inner fender clearance,outer upper wheel house.Then the leaf spring to rim on the car now.
Front will take less effort, checking the arch opening and the tire turn clearance at the front of the fender opening and the inner at the rear at full lock.
Most of the standard Chrysler steel wheels in the 15x7'' have a 4 1/4'' back space and fit a variety of Mopar bodies. If you go to 17'' a 4 to 4 1/2'' back space can be used,but watch the leaf spring to tire clearance. You can get away with 1/2'' because a 17'' side wall has less flex under cornering. My 2 cents. Great car,WOW what a cruiser !

Welcome aboard from NJ. Sorry but the oldest I ever had was a 63 and that was a Dart! Since this purchase will most like cost quite a few bucks, I would buy a wheel fitment tool like Percy's. I bought one and it cost around $65. There are other tools out there. Other than, some very careful measuring on your part. Good Luck! :D
Thx for the reply.

^^^^Yep, For rear,measure arch opening,inner fender clearance,outer upper wheel house.Then the leaf spring to rim on the car now.
Front will take less effort, checking the arch opening and the tire turn clearance at the front of the fender opening and the inner at the rear at full lock.
Most of the standard Chrysler steel wheels in the 15x7'' have a 4 1/4'' back space and fit a variety of Mopar bodies. If you go to 17'' a 4 to 4 1/2'' back space can be used,but watch the leaf spring to tire clearance. You can get away with 1/2'' because a 17'' side wall has less flex under cornering. My 2 cents. Great car,WOW what a cruiser !
Thanks for the info . It sat in this guys garage for 15 yrs. he sold it because he got the one that Elvis drove in blue Hawaii

Unique design. I don't go back to 61, my oldest is a 62 B body. 61 was a full size car. Short answer to your question, I have no idea. Maybe someone will chime in and help.
Thx

Now I gotta go watch Blue Hawaii,,,,,again. It's on Amazon Prime right now !

Auto Transport Service
Back