• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Is Your First Day To Mow The Lawn?

So I've mowed a few times, did today because I was home early. Neighbor dude that thinks he's better than the rest of us spends a fortune and countless hours on his lawn and his doesn't look much better comes home, starts doing a wood project, (I'm doing work on the Jeep)noticed my mower out, got pissed and started mowing lol, he just mowed Wednesday night lol. Kinda glad I ruined his Friday.

tumblr_p7ayknoma31x1syr8o1_500.jpg

tumblr_pnsz9wif6S1wxnfn4o1_500.jpg

I mowed on Easter because we had company.

Haven't had to mow again yet.

...but monsoon season will soon be upon us and then it will need done twice a week sometimes.

I'm about to throw down some weed and feed. Haven't done that in many years now but it needs it as the past couple of hard freezes didn't help the health of it any and it has more weeds than ever....

I've been using combo weed/feed/fire ant killer.

Works pretty good.

...but costs more than double what it did in 2020.

Was $14, now $35 for the small bag.

After it starts raining every day, I'll need to put down grub killer to keep the possums and armadillos from rooting up the yard.

I've been using combo weed/feed/fire ant killer.

Works pretty good.

...but costs more than double what it did in 2020.

Was $14, now $35 for the small bag.

After it starts raining every day, I'll need to put down grub killer to keep the possums and armadillos from rooting up the yard.
IIRC, a 40 lb bag of Scotts is like 70 bucks. It varies from store to store but the ones that are close to be are the most expensive....figures. Got a 1 gallon bottle of liquid concentrate for 26 bucks but after reading the 'page book' label, I can't use it on St. Augustine grass and nowhere on the site listed that so now I'm about to take it back. Just glad I didn't open it. Also, the fire ants get treated as needed with a separate product but thinking it's not working as good as it used to work or that I'm spreading it too lightly. And no problems with possums and dillos but do see a possum from time to time.

With all the rain we've been having stuff is growing like never before... I have a neighbor who doesn't do much yard work.... I on the other hand live with "The Yard Nazi".... Left to my own devices I would keep the yard on par with most of the neighbors, not the guy in the picture... Instead we have one of "those" yards that require more work then it deserves... Time I'd rather spend elsewhere.. Luckily she does most of the time consuming stuff, I do the heavy stuff...

IMG_7791.jpg

I've mowed twice now (Maryland, on top of a mountain). I work in the valley, folks have been mowing for over a month down here but up top (1600') we're a couple weeks behind.

First mow, early April, was mostly "knock down the clumps" to kinda even things up a bit, but not everything was mower-height yet. Not everything was even green yet (still lots of winter brown). But the clumps were YUGE.

Second mow last weekend was full-bore, every blade was tall enough, everything is GREEN. Trees are filling in now, too.

Soon, it'll be 2x a week season for a month or so, until summer heat really sets in and things slow down a bit.

Good thing I love being in the sun, and doing yardwork! And, my zero turn knocks out my 4 acres in about an hour and a half...so it doesn't kill my WHOLE weekend...

just got done 2nd time... first time new neighbor had to play follow the leader, he's a city boy who never mowed before... that was fun to watch

Lived in Ohio most of my life. I used to hate mowing the lawn.

Living in Arizona now and I have a plastic lawn front and back!!! (Turf).
Loving it, but can't walk across it in the summer. The dog knows better too.

Lived in Ohio most of my life. I used to hate mowing the lawn.
Living in Arizona now and I have a plastic lawn front and back!!! (Turf).
Loving it, but can't walk across it in the summer. The dog knows better too.
I really need to install that same thing. it is that time of year where have to cut the grass at or just before sunup.
1FD86184-EADC-4A9B-9CBB-DA3B6E66C96C.jpeg

787A833A-FA59-46D2-B9B1-3209616B83A3.jpeg

I still have snow on the ground so be another month or two before I need to mow, even then I allow my lawn, with weeds and all, go to flower to help the pollinators. And just before everything goes to seed I mow so usually only mow the lawn maybe 3-6 times in our short summer season.

I’ll have to cut mine for the first time this year sometime this week when the rain stops.

Auto Transport Service
Back