• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Installation

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Have searched and read and even posted on some existing threads here but needed to start another unfortunately.

What specific urethane is used and where specifically is it applied? Sealant or adhesive? Flexibility?

Application: 1970 Belvedere Sport Satellite

Thanks. More questions will follow.

Is it same same as previous years for the models?
Place rubber in body then insert glass in rubber?
I don't think you want to use urethane.
That will glue the rubber in place.
Although I have used that on some A bodies in the past.
I have since been able to remove and replace the glass with out the rubber coming out.
But that's not the way to do it.
I think the manual say "top in first". But I've found "bottom in first" works best for me.
Gravity can be your friend.

Houston, we have a problem.
3M8509 has been the "go to" or preferred for body to rubber in these applications.
It is skim free and "non setting".
It is discontinued with no comparable replacement.
CR Lawrence 7708 is non setting and stringy.
CR Lawrence 777 skims over and I'm currently "testing" it for solvent removal after setting.
It is stringy as well. (Messy)
One of our major gasket manufactures has 7708 on their site.
(What are you gonna do?)
Last I checked CR Lawrence still shows 8509 on their site but have moved it to "discontinued".

I was able to find some 8509 at a independent local NAPA.
Still on the shelf.
And it was recently showing in the Memphis ware house....I think.
But it won't ship, unless you bribe someone.

Last edited:
Again all shown in my Bee restoration thread. Unfortunately I don't think they're making the BUTYL 3M Auto bedding and glazing compound anymore, so you may have to look around for something similar. Urethane is not what you want.
beerestoration2017 1478.JPG

As for the installation, like I said the entire thing is in my restoration thread. That section is over on Dodgecharger.com but I can't link you as Troy has my IP banned for some reason, so can't even read my own stuff. The windshield install would be around Feb/March 2017.

I have since been able to remove and replace the glass with out the rubber coming out.
I think the manual say "top in first". But I've found "bottom in first" works best for me.

3M8509 has been the "go to" or preferred for body to rubber in these applications.
CR Lawrence 777 skims over and I'm currently "testing" it for solvent removal after setting.
(What are you gonna do?)
Last I checked CR Lawrence still shows 8509 on their site but have moved it to "discontinued".

Still on the shelf.

(What are you gonna do?)

Still on the shelf.
But it won't ship, unless you bribe someo

(What are you gonna do?)

Still on the shelf.
Thanks yeah urethane dries hard and thats why I was asking. Many people have used and recommend but I question it as well! It would never come off or out….

Again all shown in my Bee restoration thread. Unfortunately I don't think they're making the BUTYL 3M Auto bedding and glazing compound anymore, so you may have to look around for something similar. Urethane is not what you want.
View attachment 1614466

As for the installation, like I said the entire thing is in my restoration thread. That section is over on Dodgecharger.com but I can't link you as Troy has my IP banned for some reason, so can't even read my own stuff. The windshield install would be around Feb/March 2017.
No wonder I am having a hard time locating your build again. I thought it was just me. I thought they created a sticky at one poit per my request to the mod. I am confused…

No wonder I am having a hard time locating your build again. I thought it was just me. I thought they created a sticky at one poit per my request to the mod. I am confused…
It is a sticky!!! Both here and on Dodge Charger . com. When I brought it over to FBBO it was already 2018. The first 1.5 years is on Dodge Charger and a sticky in the "Guys Discussion" section. I just can't give you a link as for some reason over the weekend someone pushed the wrong button and I've been banned from viewing the forum.

It is a sticky!!! Both here and on Dodge Charger . com. When I brought it over to FBBO it was already 2018. The first 1.5 years is on Dodge Charger and a sticky in the "Guys Discussion" section. I just can't give you a link as for some reason over the weekend someone pushed the wrong button and I've been banned from viewing the forum.
Oh geez ok. I search for it and get educated. If I have any questions I’ll post here. Thanks Wayne.

Still searching through to find Waynes post on this but have not found the page yet. Saw the Laurence line of products as well.

What is the goal of the application here? Is it to seal out the water or to hold the window in place? Or both?

7708 Would work maybe.
But not the same characteristics all.
Will never firm up like 8509.
See my post above.
It's very messy.
But get a tube and see for yourselves.
It's not that much.

The rubber holds the window in once the lock strip is put into place. The sealant is for waterproofing it.

Still searching through to find Waynes post on this but have not found the page yet. Saw the Laurence line of products as well.

What is the goal of the application here? Is it to seal out the water or to hold the window in place? Or both?
Start at post#646 on Wayne’s build thread.

He is sure, I just checked on my phone and that's exactly where my windshield install starts on Dodgecharger.com
Oh ok was looking at the bbodies thread. Can’t locate on the Dodgecharger forum. Is there a sticky on the “Car Guys Forum”? Are you dadsbee there as well? I am not a member there not sure I can search without being a member…

Last edited:
Ok so it looks like the bead of bedding compound/sealant is between the gasket and body/pinch weld (the whole perimeter) only. So no issues with the glass in the gasket leaks I presume.

Since it's a hot topic.
777 can be removed with mineral spirts after firming up.
It can also be smeared after 48 hours.
Similar to a bubble gum consistency.
Just a quick test.
Between the 2 CRL products that is the one I would use for a new install in the type I have under consideration. (Post 2)
I have used 7708 for extra for a channel fill in addition to the butyl rope back glass.
But think it is too runny for a rubber gasket type of use.
CRL Automotive would not cross their products to other Mfgs or say 777 was tested or approved for Automotive use when asked.
(I'm guessing "because lawyers ")
Reference to FSM is questionable.
They had other things and the manuals were just a rough guide from what I can tell.
My 69 RR back glass actually had some type of small rubber strip at the bottom from factory it seemed.
Screenshot_20240223_154737.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back