• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

The GM clips work perfectly

2B5FA339-3CD9-476B-87ED-0B22A27F3D8B.jpeg

It was a good night. The front suspension hardware is torqued, all the cotter pins are in place, the torsion bars are in, and the shift linkage is operational. All that’s left is to set the ride height and torque the LCA pivot nuts.

10FBE4AD-EEFF-4C3E-AD5F-1FE51310A82E.jpeg

It should be better than new. QA1 and Hotchkis make some nice stuff.
796652C7-A27C-4B2B-8D14-EDB7BB204A43.jpeg

T-Bars slid right in, I covered them with blue painters take so the paint wouldn't get scratched.
1C90C9DA-256A-4BF3-970D-5A235C97A61F.jpeg

The new clips took all of the slop out of the shift linkage,

Tomorrow I will install the transmission mount, driveshaft, bolt up the exhaust, bolt up the converter and install the rotors.

Last edited:
Trans mount is done. After installing some new Timken bearings I put the rotors on. I set the bearings @ .001 end play with a dial indicator and buttoned up the wheel ends.

DE93C0F4-230F-4D2B-8109-9755099967F6.jpeg

I bolted the calipers on and the wheel ends are finished.

BFA59B0D-691B-4C87-B8E7-C896FC343DD1.jpeg

The prop shaft and exhaust are next…

Sore AF from rolling around on the garage floor the last couple of days, so today’s projects will be done while standing.

The red stripe on the grille is getting thin in spots, before bolting it back on the car it’s going to be repainted.

35C8D5CD-191A-472C-8331-5725A5DCFB9E.jpeg

Plug wires should be pretty easy, although I may have to replace a couple now that I have the factory plug wire retainer on the thermostat housing.

Absolutely beautiful piece of history you have worked hard to get all cleaned up and ready to roll down the road and laugh out loud.
Thank you for posting pictures and details on your work. People like you make this place really rock.

The plug wire retainers are from a mid ‘90’s Ram 360 engine. I ended up making new studs out of 1/4-20 ready rod to get the length I needEd.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The studs replaced standard valve cover bolts along the bottom.

image.jpg

The retainers are ribbed inside so they grip the stud

image.jpg

If you don’t have a ratcheting crisper, you should. Easy to use and makes a perfect crimp every time.

image.jpg

What did I do with the coil wire? It has to be around here somewhere…

image.jpg

Last edited:
I’m nearing the finish line so I started a list of things I need to do in order to get there. It consists of 27 tasks, some will take a few minutes and others are going to take several hours. There’s probably 20-30 hours worth of work left, working at a relaxed pace.

There is light at the end of the tunnel…

Rested and ready to start attacking my list after a leisurely week in Mexico. I ordered AN hose and fittings from Summit for the trans cooler on Monday so it should be delivered by the time I get home later today.

I finally got to meet my new grandson today, he seems to like his popi…
CA5D34A5-13DF-4933-ADA1-42DA937BB46C.jpeg

I got 7 tasks knocked off the to-do list, and hope to wrap up a few more easy ones tomorrow.

F0A498A8-D19D-41EB-BAAC-13CB9B590116.jpeg

Got a few more things scratched off my list. I’m ashamed to admit it, but the converter bolts kicked my ***. I couldn’t get one bolt started and started to panic because I thought one of the lugs on the converter was messed up. I eventually got it, but I had visions of pulling the trans again. Late afternoon UPS showed up with my Summit order so I was able to get a good start on the trans cooler lines. I called it a day after fabricating some simple brackets to support the lines and keep them away from the steering and exhaust. I'll get back on it tomorrow when the paint on the brackets has dried. I used black AN hose and fittings so they should kind of blend in with the surroundings.

1A9C5E1B-D0DC-404F-BDE6-43BC0F53786C.jpeg

Once the lines are done I can get this thing back on the ground and tweak the ride height. Then I can set the toe in for the drive to the alignment shop.

BCB67293-D3B9-432A-87D5-1030FA3B617B.jpeg

I need to fill the engine oil, trans fluid and power steering fluid. Coolant will have to wait until the radiator comes back from Glen Ray.

404A6052-E79E-4778-B199-27A100B1F1D6.jpeg

I took advantage of everything being easily accessible and greased the front end and u-joints.

E5943A9F-1B94-4F68-90CB-E220DD202C27.jpeg

Last edited:
Cooler lines are done…

image.jpg

The plumbing is a lot less noticeable through the grille compared to the previous stainless hoses and red/blue AN fittings.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Cooler lines are done…

View attachment 1428664

The plumbing is a lot less noticeable through the grille compared to the previous stainless hoses and red/blue AN fittings.

View attachment 1428666

Looks like a clean install and those flexible lines are easier to blend into the surroundings than solid ones. I have the same plan for my Charger at some point but other things are first on the list. It is looking like you will be cruising down the road and laughing very soon and I am looking forward to that time.

Auto Transport Service
Back