• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Won't stay running

THE STIG

Local time
11:23 PM
Reaction score
When I start my 440 cold I can get it to run for a few minutes but it'll ultimatly dieand then I can't get it going again for several minutes and even then I have to hold the gas all the way down, and when the gas is all the way down the engine sounds like it's idleing. The carb has been rebuilt, the plugs, wires, distributor, coil, and fuel pump are all new. Any ideas?

Timing? Choke not set up right? What kind of carb? what is the fuel pressure? mech or electric fuel pump?

assuming all stock carb etc. look at the choke set up make adjustments per specs. Think about it "wont start again after warmed up" what is the only thing affected by heat? choke or gas, new gas gets vapor lock and boils out of the carb.

Let's back up a bit. What was done to the car since the last time it was running well? This is the only place to start trouble shooting. No use looking at everything under the sun until the above question is answered.

JB the carb is an Edelbrock 1406 650 cfm fuel pump is mecanical, Dave the car has never run well as long as I've owned it hence why all the new stuff. I;ve been fighting with the air/fuel mixture and timing for 2 1/2 years.

Timing? Choke not set up right? What kind of carb? what is the fuel pressure? mech or electric fuel pump?

assuming all stock carb etc. look at the choke set up make adjustments per specs. Think about it "wont start again after warmed up" what is the only thing affected by heat? choke or gas, new gas gets vapor lock and boils out of the carb.

Coil can also be affected, they can open once they heat up. Dealt with one like that several years ago, about drove me nuts!!

Auto Transport Service
Back