• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would a 5-speed swap increase the value of a 1972 SSP?

Myasylum

Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
This is an idea I have been messing with, swapping, my auto for a 5-speed Tremec.

This is a nothing matches 1972 Roadrunner Clone SSP.

I'm doing this purely out of enjoyment, but wondering if maybe it would increase the value or not really?
It's a drivers car, with new paint. Probably worth about $20-23,000 as is. I'd guess? The new Tremec transmission + all the swap parts is around $7000.00

Thanks!

This is an idea I have been messing with, swapping, my auto for a 5-speed Tremec.

This is a nothing matches 1972 Roadrunner Clone SSP.

I'm doing this purely out of enjoyment, but wondering if maybe it would increase the value or not really?
It's a drivers car, with new paint. Probably worth about $20-23,000 as is. I'd guess? The new Tremec transmission + all the swap parts is around $7000.00

Thanks!
Done properly it would increase the value but, maybe by 2-3,000.00. My guess.
Mike

To some it might increase the value, but to others it would mean nothing. The higher the price of the car the harder to some extent it is to sell it.

Value is a relevant term.

Tom

Last edited:
I think there is too little information here to make an evaluation.

As I watch Mecum, Barret Jackson, and for sale ads, very well done "resto mods" seem to do very well. Of course, so do rare and desirable original muscle cars. But if you have a non-rare muscle car or clone, I do believe a well done resto mod can make it valuable. But, it must be the whole package. Just throwing in an overdrive is not by itself going to make it worth much more.

But I'll repeat one of my favorite questions when these topics come up: Are you in this as a business or as a hobby?
Nobody tries to calculate if their ski equipment will sell next year for more than they bought it for. If you like skiing, great. Ski and enjoy the hobby.

Same is true for classic cars. If you enjoy them, then do what you like to enjoy them. And yes, it should be worth something in the future, but whether you make a profit or not should be a secondary question.

I'm doing this purely out of enjoyment.

It's amazing how one letter in the alphabet changes the value of the car $20,000.

It will increase the value but the increase in value would not match the cost of doing the mod. As you say, whatever and do it for yourself.

If you re trying to make money on a clone RR you are in the wrong business. Car mods seldom make economic succes, do it for the fun.

It's all opinion and what the buyer wants but to me the car would be more desirable with the 5spd done well.
As a package like said above it could create more value than cost, if you do the with yourself.
Modern suspension and steering, ac, power equipment, overdrive,manual trans costs more than 6 figures if you're writing checks to get it done. Gives you an idea of where there might be margin.

I'm in the middle of a TKX swap in the Coronet. I have a thread going under Member's Projects: Tremec TKX 5-Speed Conversion

For my sake, the swap is strictly for the enjoyment. I want to be able to enjoy driving long distances on the freeway without the 3,500 rpm buzz I get now. My Coronet is much like yours in that its a driver, nothing rare or particularly special about it. I budgeted for the tranny so I can afford it, but I doubt it's going to materially appreciate the value of the car whenever I sell it.

BTW, the $7,000 is the entry price. There's still the driveshaft, offset dowels, and various new tools and supplies needed, depending on how well stocked your garage is.

I just did a Tremec TKX 5-Speed Swap in my 67 GTX, like so many others here on FBBO.
Always a shifter guy my whole life, so it was an easy decision.
It's not for the resale value, it's for all the fun while you're alive !!
Nothing better than a Big Block and a 5-Speed, enjoy it and keep on shiftin', it's a much more involved driving experience.

I just did a Tremec TKX 5-Speed Swap in my 67 GTX, like so many others here on FBBO.
Always a shifter guy my whole life, so it was an easy decision.
It's not for the resale value, it's for all the fun while you're alive !!
Nothing better than a Big Block and a 5-Speed, enjoy it and keep on shiftin', it's a much more involved driving experience.
Just for curiosities sake, what was your BH runout? And who's dowels did you use?

Just for curiosities sake, what was your BH runout? And who's dowels did you use?
BH runout was .004".
I'm not sure of the Dowels used, a shop down the street did the work for me, I don't have a lift in my garage.
I was there when they were checking it, and saw the .004" on the dial indicator.
They did nice work.

BH runout was .004".
I'm not sure of the Dowels used, a shop down the street did the work for me, I don't have a lift in my garage.
I was there when they were checking it, and saw the .004" on the dial indicator.
They did nice work.
Lower than .005", the BH didn't need offset dowels. Very nice.

Lower than .005", the BH didn't need offset dowels. Very nice.
I suspect they might have used some, I will have to ask and get the brand name.
This shop has done a bunch of these swaps, so they are very experienced.
When I was there, they had everything installed up to that point, and measuring the run-out.
They may have been taking it on and off using different dowel pins to get it right, and I saw the final number.
It's rare that a swapped BH is lower than .005" right out of the box, but I have heard it does happen sometimes.

My BH was off .024, it took a pair of .021 pins to bring it into spec.

Not seeing any 71-72 B-body 5 - Speed swaps, which I find interesting.

I know... apples and oranges but if your car is a clone RR and driver not a track car.
Why not run a 833 OD if your just wanting to add a manual with some longer legs.
They are a bolt in swap, alot cheaper, you get your 3rd pedal , can do big ole smokey burnouts plus a grab a little fuel mileage on road trips.
If you have a decent B or Rb the torque feel at the 3rd 4th gears prob is not that big of a change.

Auto Transport Service
Back