• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTH?!? Possessed Starter!

Giggitybit

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
Okay - the charger's ignition and electrical has been ran thru by probably 10 different people judging by the lines running everywhere - I decided today to start rewiring.

new mini-starter - new battery - new cables

Currently -

Grounds run from frame to battery, battery to motor, motor to starter bolt (the one attaching it to the tranny)

if I touch the main hot wire from the starter TO the battery - she tries to start (no solenoid wire)
i purchased a Ford style fender relay - wire from battery to relay - relay to starter - if I ground the relay - she tries to start - no ignition or any other hot coming from the battery.

what the hell is wrong - autozone o'reilly's and advance tested the starter as perfectly fine. They test by grounding the starter frame (as I have) attaching a hot line to the starter, and then applying 12v to the small lead on the starter solenoid.

I'm lost - at this point maybe hopelessly...
I THINK I know how this should work -

WIRING.gif

Correct?

STARTS.gif

This starts

THISALSOSTARTS.gif

This does also!

Explain Please?!?!

I figured it out - was too late last night -

on the relay - there was a stray wire that was poking out energizing the relay - it was a single strand from the battery hot wire. Got it the right way now. It's all good =)

Auto Transport Service
Back