• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your 'Guide' to the 727/904 transmission

yes, the case will work fine. There are many combinations of internal components for different years and different applications.

Thank you. Next question would be what is a rebuildable small block 727 case worth these days?

Awesome post!!
Quick FLUID question..
I have an A12 car, still running the 6 pack & 727, had a shop repaint motor due to a small fire, they "Added Fluid" to what was in it. ATF+4 I'm told. Has had the usual leaks etc. My dad put a deeper (2 3/4") deep. Not sure if getting right advice, recently seen that MoPar says "Run ATF4 in it no matter the year".. Ok, but I don't care for the Synthetic higher psi probably causing most owner's leaks?
CAN I RUN Dexron II/MERCON in it w/o any problem? Thing is completely drained, converter and all. Just installed the correct 38 tooth gear for 28" tires (4.10 Dana 60). So before I go reinstalling pan etc, I noticed this shop used RTV silicone between BOTH pan and case. I have always thought that is a "No No"?
I'm surely not getting a correct fluid level reading when "Hot in Neutral", and recently came across a post regarding a FILTER EXTENSION. Now, I'm thinking I need to wait.
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!
Gasket is the Global Trans parts "4014C, A727/A518/A618/48RE" 4.5mm thick gasket.

Thanks!!!!

Lokar throttle cable, what else will I need here or are the factory brackets enough? Note I haven't researched prices on this cable kit is the reason why I used the eBay auction.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294084764764

Awesome post!!
Quick FLUID question..
I have an A12 car, still running the 6 pack & 727, had a shop repaint motor due to a small fire, they "Added Fluid" to what was in it. ATF+4 I'm told. Has had the usual leaks etc. My dad put a deeper (2 3/4") deep. Not sure if getting right advice, recently seen that MoPar says "Run ATF4 in it no matter the year".. Ok, but I don't care for the Synthetic higher psi probably causing most owner's leaks?
CAN I RUN Dexron II/MERCON in it w/o any problem? Thing is completely drained, converter and all. Just installed the correct 38 tooth gear for 28" tires (4.10 Dana 60). So before I go reinstalling pan etc, I noticed this shop used RTV silicone between BOTH pan and case. I have always thought that is a "No No"?
I'm surely not getting a correct fluid level reading when "Hot in Neutral", and recently came across a post regarding a FILTER EXTENSION. Now, I'm thinking I need to wait.
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!
Gasket is the Global Trans parts "4014C, A727/A518/A618/48RE" 4.5mm thick gasket.

Thanks!!!!
Used to use type f in my 70 charger 500 440 looks like there were a few different you could use. To answer about the fluid lvl you are measuring the top so if do a deep pan with a filter extension it is still the same full mark on the stick.

Lokar throttle cable, what else will I need here or are the factory brackets enough? Note I haven't researched prices on this cable kit is the reason why I used the eBay auction.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294084764764
Not sure the question there are so many brackets seems like you are working on the kick down for the transmission?

Kick down yes.
So kinda doing the same thing on mine now did look at that cable. I have the factory solid that probly going with. Advice would be brackets are easy to buy and make have it straight with your throttle linkage and be able to adjust from the pic the lokar has that . Best of luck keep kickin ***.

Often I or anyone for that matter asks to find out what type of transmission they have in their old mopar. There are hundreds, if not a thousand, of threads on this website identifying, discussing or assisting with this process, troubleshooting or repair.

Because of this large number of threads and the fact that using the search option is unbeknownst to some members, I have put this together.

FIRST AND FOREMOST, HERE IS FRONTAL PICTURES OF THE /6, SB, AND BB TRANSMISSIONS:

View attachment 455769

HOW TO IDENTIFY YOUR TRANSMISSION:

1. Do I have a 727 or a 904?

The picture of the 727 transmission is first, the second is a 904 transmission –

View attachment 455770
View attachment 455771

Gasket pictures to see what you may have from a bottom view

View attachment 455772

2. Here are pictures of 4x4 transmission 727 on the left and 999 on the right

View attachment 455773

3. Where do I look for the identification number’s on my transmission?

You will see a set of numbers starting with “PK” on the driver’s side of the transmission above the tranny pan but below the shifter levers, see below:

View attachment 455774

View attachment 455775

The passenger side carries with it (if its 69 model year only) the complete VIN of the vehicle, 1970 and above have the year, place of manufacturer, and serial number of the vehicle it was made for, see below:

View attachment 455776

4. What are the differences between a A518/46RH, a 904/999/A500 and a 727?

View attachment 455777

View attachment 455778

5. What do I have to do to put a OD transmission in my older vehicle?

Here is a start. There are many sites that cover this swap, but this one is pretty good to get you going.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm

6. Why is a 727 called a 727 and a 904 called a 904?

The 904 was originally called the Torqueflite 6 and the 727 was the Torqueflite 8. These designations were changed in '64 when the 904 was adapted for use in the new 273 V8 and was no longer a 6 cylinder only unit.

7. What is the difference between a truck and a car tailhousing?

TRUCK HOUSING:

View attachment 455779

CAR HOUSING:

View attachment 455780

8. What is the difference, externally, between a 65 and below 727 and a 66 and up?

65 and below will have the parking brake mechanism located on the outside of the tailshaft housing (see right silver transmission), and the transmission mount is located in a difference place, and has wider bolt/stud mounting holes.

View attachment 455781

Also, 65 and below were a pushbutton design:

View attachment 455782

9. What are the differences between the shift levers, are there any?

Generally, a 727 shifter lever is straight and a 904 is offset (though some applications have different length of levers to compensate for vehicle model/engine combinations).
727 on top, 904 on bottom:

View attachment 455783

10. This will give you an idea to the different styles of throttle pressure (aka kickdown) levers:

View attachment 455784

11. Good reference on what each port does in the transmission case:

View attachment 455785

12. BREAK DOWN OF A 727:

View attachment 455786
View attachment 455787
View attachment 455788

13. DIMENSIONS BETWEEN 727 AND 904:

View attachment 455789

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember, only smallblocks have 904 derivative transmissions, though some came with 727’s (i.e. certain truck and HP car models). Big Blocks only came with 727’s.
And here is a kicker to boot.. International Scout’s and other IH trucks used 727’s also.. so did AMC’s here is a pic of a AMC 727:

View attachment 455790

Great resource book:

View attachment 455791

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Torqueflite-A-727-Transmission-Handbook/Carl-Munroe/e/9781557883995

WELL THAT ABOUT DOES IT.. HOPE YOU ALL GET A LITTLE INSIGHT FROM THIS.. I MAY ADD TO THIS AS I GO ALONG.
Interesting so the 727 is a good transmission?

Interesting so the 727 is a good transmission?

Obviously a joke.
You know the 727 is an excellent piece.
Back in the day the drag racers started going to a Glide. But with those you need to replace everything inside the case with aftermarket super duty parts to handle 600 HP.
A 727 just needs red bands & clutches or equal and a good valve body. Just my opinion.

Auto Transport Service
Back