• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Cheetah

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
Here ya go!
Ultra Rare Cheetah.
I believe 24? or so made
Legendary car designer William "Bill" Mitchell, who was (is) responsible for the truly glorious 1963-1967 Corvette split-window (63 only) design.
Pretty "Wild" ride on the track.

Just sold at Auction:

Fox News:
An ultra-rare Cheetah sports car from the 1960s has been sold for a record price.
The red 1963 coupe, believed to be the most original of the handful of surviving cars, went for $718,750 at a Guernsey’s auction event in New York City on Thursday night.

That beat the old mark of $660,000 set earlier this year for the distinctive, long-hooded sports car, which was developed by Bill Thomas as a Chevrolet-powered competitor to Carrol Shelby’s Ford-powered Cobras.

It’s not clear exactly how many Cheetahs were built – estimates run from 11 to 23 – but this fiberglass-bodied one has been certified by Thomas’ grandson as the fourth out of the shop. Production stalled after a rules change essentially eliminated it from the competition class it was originally intended for and General Motors lost interest in supporting the project.

This particular car was raced at Datyona in 1964, and hit 215 mph there. Sam Goins purchased it in 1965 and has owned it ever since.

Cheetah 1.jpg

Cheetah 2.jpg

Cheetah 3.jpg

Ha Ha!
(I'm dreaming BTW)
I'd pick of "5.7 Hemi" or 'Kern Dog", we'd get all boozed up, wreck in 3 hours of ownership......

They make Fiberglas reproductions. Stacy David, from the tv show GEARS is building one. It was on a couple shows.

S-B_ski, I remember those from the day ! I used to have a 1/24 scale slot car to take to the local Hobby Shop that had a "Killer Track" to run them on. Bring your cars, & controller, and use up your grass cuttin' money in a few hours. Those were the days...

Looks almost like a tommy Ivo creation from the side shot. Anyone know the cubic inch of that 215 mph'er?

S-B_ski, I remember those from the day ! I used to have a 1/24 scale slot car to take to the local Hobby Shop that had a "Killer Track" to run them on. Bring your cars, & controller, and use up your grass cuttin' money in a few hours. Those were the days...
I had a blue HO scale Cheetah we raced Friday nights at the upstairs of a hobby shop. Two full rooms with tracks and diorama.

Here ya go!
Ultra Rare Cheetah.
I believe 24? or so made
Legendary car designer William "Bill" Mitchell, who was (is) responsible for the truly glorious 1963-1967 Corvette split-window (63 only) design.
Pretty "Wild" ride on the track. Fellow in the town I live in had one on his glassed in patio on display, along with a ornge superbird, I too had a slot car with a cheeta body on it, good looking cars, had them for several years. Dave.

Just sold at Auction:

Fox News:
An ultra-rare Cheetah sports car from the 1960s has been sold for a record price.
The red 1963 coupe, believed to be the most original of the handful of surviving cars, went for $718,750 at a Guernsey’s auction event in New York City on Thursday night.

That beat the old mark of $660,000 set earlier this year for the distinctive, long-hooded sports car, which was developed by Bill Thomas as a Chevrolet-powered competitor to Carrol Shelby’s Ford-powered Cobras.

It’s not clear exactly how many Cheetahs were built – estimates run from 11 to 23 – but this fiberglass-bodied one has been certified by Thomas’ grandson as the fourth out of the shop. Production stalled after a rules change essentially eliminated it from the competition class it was originally intended for and General Motors lost interest in supporting the project.

This particular car was raced at Datyona in 1964, and hit 215 mph there. Sam Goins purchased it in 1965 and has owned it ever since.

View attachment 604866

View attachment 604867

View attachment 604868
Here ya go!
Ultra Rare Cheetah.
I believe 24? or so made
Pretty "Wild" ride on the track.

Just sold at Auction:

Fox News:

View attachment 604866

View attachment 604867

View attachment 604868

A very unknown car.. Most chevy people don't even know it existed,ask one. If you were aware of the A/C Daytona, and the Grand Sport Vette, you knew what a Cheetah was. The size was extra small, and the fact that the drivers seat was located way to the right( to clear rear drivers wheel) drivers were not happy that the steering wheel was no where close to being center with the driver. Oh yeah, big feet did not work well either.

Always thought they were pretty cool. All the ones I ever heard about had big blocks. Handling was very unpredictable. I had a 1/32 scale Cox Cheetah slot car that was just too damn fast, or more probable not old enough to know how to control it.

I never heard of a Cheetah with a big block. The small block was the hot ticket in those sports car classes.

a guy has one here in vegas. he brought it to my shop on a custom trailer because he had just finished the full resto and needed a good alignment. we have a very nice brand new high end alignment machine. impressive little car foe sure.

I remember them from the slot car days too.

Sweet looking car. That would be the ultimate rush right there

yup,
They sure were the Days VANDAN!
"We " never truly got into trouble
"We" never ate "Tide Pods" like today's kids
we ran outside, rode our bicycles, played little league etc!

Auto Transport Service
Back