• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Belvedere GTX - Drag Week Project

Mr B Body

Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
I've been wanting to start a thread on my brother's Drag Week project that I've been helping him work on it for the last couple of years. I just haven't the time, but now since winter has closed in, I'm giving you the scoop. I have all sorts of photo's of the build to date that I will be posting, we almost made Drag Week this last year (2014), but we just ran out of time (we worked almost 24 hours straight before we called it off and my brother took the RR again. Another 24 hours and I think that we could have had something to take. Here are a few of the specs on the build.

1967 Belvedere Body - PO had put a cage in and put in wheel tubs that we cut out. The spring relocation didn't look like it would hold up to almost 1000 lb-ft, so we cut it out too.

Engine:

All Aluminum 588 CI Hemi
MP block
4.5 Stroke Oliver Crank
Oliver Rods
Forged pistons
Stage V AL Millenium raised port Heads - ported by Jeff and Modern Cylinder Heads 538 cfm @ .700 lift
2.4" TI intake valves
.675" lift Comp Solid Roller Cam
Isky Roller Lifters
Hogan Cross Ram Intake
Dual SV1 Carbs
Barton / MP Rocker Arm Assemblies
1054 HP, 906 lb-ft on 93 Pump Gas, from the local Speedway - engine dyno'd at Muscle Motors with 2-1/8" non-raised port headers (it blocked off about 3/8" of the exhaust ports)
2-1/4 TTI headers, 4" exhaust to 4" inlet, outlet mufflers

Transmission:

A & A full race transmission
Reverse manual valve body
Gear Vendors overdrive

Rear:

Strange 60 3.73 Gear

Suspension:
Front: Reily Alterkation front suspension with manual rack and pinion steering
Rear: Complete Cal Track setup, split mono-leafs, relocated spring mounts
Brakes: Wilwood Discs at all corners, manual

Cooling:
28" Aluminum Radiator (yes it goes from frame rail to frame rail)
two 2400 cfm fans, one low (165° turn on) and one high (195° turn on)
Mezire Electric fuel pump

Fuel System:

Custom built tank - my brother designed and built it
Aeromotive A1000 tank
5/8" aluminum supply and return line
Aeromotive 4 port regulator

We are setting this car up to run in Drag Week deep into the 8's (car will only cert to 8.50) on the drag radials (315 x 60 x 15's)

My brother and I built the cage, installed the engine, trans, rear, did the wheel tubs and the other body mods. We did get to drive it in the addition before he had to leave on drag week, we didn't have any lighting done on the car or the belts mounted. This is one very bad street car.

This is where we where after much cutting and some mockup. What you cannot tell is that is not a rear in the car, it is a tube with plates welded on just for mockup.
IMG_0588.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back