• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$500- 68 charger

Thanks Ron.. That's the only beer I can drink. Anything else gives me a headache. I call it Old Millwater.

You'd fit right in with the farmers in this state....They love that stuff. Not a fan myself but will use it to make Beer Brat's now and then. Old Millwater's about right..lol Been making that stuff for quite a long time.

Oh, yea the base/flange fits in the recess like it was made for it, but there is a slight tilt in the recess which I'm sure won't cause a prob. BTW- I will use some nice polished stainless allen cap screws to bolt it on. They also sell an adapter filler neck, which I'll need I bet.

I test fitted the roll bar with seat and steering column. I'm trying to figure out and plan where the bar will need to mount. Checked NHRA rules and I think the way I have it mocked-up will be legal when installed. I didn't have all bars in place but enough to check fits.

Attachments

• IMAG1106.jpg
    IMAG1106.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 790
  • IMAG1105.jpg
    IMAG1105.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 778
I have not made a lot of progress because I have been sand blasting the frame work below my floor. I have blasted there enough I think. My air compressor is not big enough to do it swiftly so it has been slow going. I have ordered a new air compressor which I beleive will do the rest of the car as needed better. It is a 5hp dual stage, 60 gal, 11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI. I may get a better blaster also, for the rest of the car. Now I will apply the Eastwood inner frame paint prior to installing the floor. I will start drilling the spot weld holes in the floor pan/s this week also.

Attachments

• IMAG1107.jpg
    IMAG1107.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 781
The new & better compressor will be nice I'm sure, I just burned mine up recently too, I will be getting a new one or rebuilding my old one, soon I hope... I've been using my little portable Ingersal 6 cfm 100psi 5 gal. pancake tank/construction site compressor lately, it takes allot of extra time, to let it recover & build pressure, when using any sanding or grinding tools, that need allot of cfm & air capacity... Good luck & I like the project, keep up the good work...

Mine is suppose to be on the way but the site says it is discontinued.. Total cost was $380- tax and shipped to local store, but they haven't called me yet to come get it., hope I ordered before they ran out. Here is a nice one for $530..> http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455341_200455341

My progress on the floor install is going slow but sure, lots of prepping, been getting a little done every evening after work. The problem is my real job usually makes me very tired. Hope to have some pics worth showing this weekend.

My progress on the floor install is going slow but sure, lots of prepping, been getting a little done every evening after work. The problem is my real job usually makes me very tired. Hope to have some pics worth showing this weekend.

I hear ya on that, I work 9 hours a day during the week so it's hard to find the time for the Charger after work, usually end up burning the midnight oil once I get started though lol.

Better to the take the time with your prep and metalwork than to rush it though, looking forward to seeing how the floorpan comes out

I've made some progress on the floor install prepping. I tak welded the sub frame connectors in to help with the roll bar connections. I am going to bolt the roll bar/s in so that if I sell the car someday and the buyer doesn't want it with a roll bar it will be easily removed. I followed the NHRA rules and this is how they said I could do it. But I am going a little further with the strength,, for the main bar I'll weld the bottom (thicker than required) sandwich plate to the rocker and the frame connector. The rear support bars will bolt to plates welded to the splice joint of the rear frame partials, thus giving the splice more strength also. The front bars will bolt to plates welded in the front corners of the floor/rocker area right as it starts upward. Everywhere possible will just be tak welded till car is loaded complete as far as weight and sitting on tires.

Attachments

• IMAG1116.jpg
    IMAG1116.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 752
  • IMAG1118.jpg
    IMAG1118.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 759
  • IMAG1120.jpg
    IMAG1120.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 751
  • IMAG1122.jpg
    IMAG1122.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 739
Any progress is a good thing, I'm a real procrastinator lately myself, but mostly just lack of funds... It never fails, when I have a ton of extra time, I usually have no extra car money & when I have the extra money, then I have no extra time to work on the car...LOL.... but then all those extra funds, always seems to evaporate, goes into the damn house, damn yard, damn DD, a new heater & HVAC system or a new asphalt driveway, etc., such is life, the strange thing is, in my younger days, it would never have happened that way, the car was always 1st...

Any progress is a good thing, I'm a real procrastinator lately myself, but mostly just lack of funds... It never fails, when I have a ton of extra time, I usually have no extra car money & when I have the extra money, then I have no extra time to work on the car...LOL.... but then all those extra funds, always seems to evaporate, goes into the damn house, damn yard, damn DD, a new heater & HVAC system or a new asphalt driveway, etc., such is life, the strange thing is, in my younger days, it would never have happened that way, the car was always 1st...
Asphalt driveway? what is that, I thought you where supposed to use gravel HAHA. Glad to see your coming along on the car. It sure is nice knowing exactly what's hidden under all the sheetmetal "looks great".

It sure is nice knowing exactly what's hidden under all the sheetmetal "looks great".

Yes, and I am being very meticulous on getting the rust off and out, and priming and painting all the nooks and crannys that will be covered up by the floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Any progress is a good thing, I'm a real procrastinator lately myself, but mostly just lack of funds... It never fails, when I have a ton of extra time, I usually have no extra car money & when I have the extra money, then I have no extra time to work on the car.
I run into road blocks occasionally waiting on parts or funds but always can find something that needs to be done., mostly because there is so much that needs to be done. I feel if I don't keep up the pace I'll never finish it.
I think I have decided to go with black as the color. Maybe with a ghost red tail stripe and small ghost red flames on the doors and hood scallop detents. This pic has got me stuck on balck. I kinda even like black bumpers and the scoop if it wasn't a chevy.

Attachments

• 1968-Dodge-Charger-front-three-quarters.JPG.jpg
    1968-Dodge-Charger-front-three-quarters.JPG.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 672
Black sure does have that muscle look but the shits to keep clean.

Black really does look tough on these cars.

2571.jpg15 295 50.jpg

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 602
I think I have to stay away from these black car threads otherwise I will be wanting to paint mine black, especially since the wife really thinks that black would look hot-damn on my car.

Asphalt driveway? what is that, I thought you where supposed to use gravel HAHA. Glad to see your coming along on the car. It sure is nice knowing exactly what's hidden under all the sheetmetal "looks great".

Thanks, it's been one of the slowest builds I've ever done it seems.... the yard front side & back yards are mostly all gravel right now, does that count ??...LOL... next big expense freaken' landscaping !!, maintenance free of course...

- - - Updated - - -

Black really does look tough on these cars.

Black does look really good, on most B-Bodies

- - - Updated - - -

I run into road blocks occasionally waiting on parts or funds but always can find something that needs to be done., mostly because there is so much that needs to be done. I feel if I don't keep up the pace I'll never finish it.
I think I have decided to go with black as the color. Maybe with a ghost red tail stripe and small ghost red flames on the doors and hood scallop detents. This pic has got me stuck on balck. I kinda even like black bumpers and the scoop if it wasn't a chevy.

that Car in that photo looks great black, I love 68's

I think that is Bruce Jenner's son's charger.
My floor install is going good.. It's been a pain figuring out the best way to mnt my roll bar, but I'm pretty happy with what I came up with, and how well they fit and tied in to the framework. I made these mnt plates for under the floor, which had to go in after the main floor went in and before the rear foot wells. Finally gettin some decent lookin welds going.

Attachments

• IMAG1125.jpg
    IMAG1125.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 700
  • IMAG1127.jpg
    IMAG1127.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 669
Looking Good! I agree, looking better the more on and on you go. Best way to learn amigo. Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

Auto Transport Service
Back