• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

541 street strip motor, TF 270 heads, Weiand P3690982 cross ram or???

Whoever blended the sharp edges off the runners into the plenum floor did a great job!
20200130_155925.jpg
20200130_155929.jpg
20200130_160546.jpg

Looks great. The "dam" positions & jet combo is what I recall was up for discussion. BTW, the Mopar bulletin mod on grinding lid for rear carb #6&8 clearance sure makes lots of sense for airflow equalization. Keep us advised.

Looks great. The "dam" positions & jet combo is what I recall was up for discussion. BTW, the Mopar bulletin mod on grinding lid for rear carb #6&8 clearance sure makes lots of sense for airflow equalization. Keep us advised.
Thanks. I have all the drawings, measurements, specs, and tables of info.
I'm probably not going to grind the one spot on the top until I try the intake, and until I check the underhood fit, it's going to stay as is.
More to come...
Once I have the fit checked, and if so, then I move forward, I'll start a new thread.

That looks 100 times better then the last one you got. :thumbsup:
Yep! Thanks. It's been quite the journey, so I am VERY happy!
I just ordered 2 gaskets for it from a guy who has a NOS Weiand w/the box! He's having the intake polished and then modded EDIT (by F&B he told me) for direct port injection, (just like moselyme on For A-Bodies Only and his 68 Barracuda, which his DPI/TB/EFI via F&B modded Weiand intake set me off on this quest...I mean, COME ON! Look at this setup! It's made me a crazy person!
Screenshot_2016-05-10-16-10-27.png
Screenshot_2016-05-10-16-06-18.png

I couldn't be happier! I hope it fits, but for now, I'm busy w/work and other stuff.
Very soon I hope to have the question answered about fitting under the hood.

Last edited:
Yes. I have all 3 carbs modded with Promax parts: outboard carbs have jetable metering plates, center carb has the Promax metering block, and the rear carb has the angled idle mixture screws.
At least tweaks are easier.

Pictures of your carbs when you have some spare time?

The Snipers weren't available when you were pulling the trigger on parts?

Pictures of your carbs when you have some spare time?
Here's some from the archives from when I installed them right after Promax modded them, and right before Cruisin the Coast.
You can easily see the Promax center carb metering block. I don't know as much as I want to about carbs and how their parts affect their performance, but I can say the Promax metering block is designed to work with more radical cams than the factory unit. I think a big part of that has to do with vacuum and the various circuits (idle, transition, etc) being able to do their jobs instead of going wacko. You may be able to see the angled idle mixture screws on the front corners of the rear carb base plate.
20180923_155147.jpg

20180923_160037.jpg

I'm DEFINITELY liking the stainless braided fuel lines!!! The-AN fittings are great, I don't have problems with having to remove the fittings that go into the fuel bowls just to work on the carbs or intake, the route is more flexible for positioning, and they look GREAT!
20180923_183753.jpg

Upper lines and lower line. I'm going to reincorporate my vapor separator/filter soon. When I installed the new fuel lines, I finally installed the Carter M6903 mech fuel pump, and the braided lower line threaded into the pump, and somehow that messed up the way the vapor separator was in the circuit so I plugged the return line.
The 40 micron inline reusable steel mesh filter and pressure gauge are part of the set.
20180923_183839.jpg

The Snipers weren't available when you were pulling the trigger on parts?
Well you may mean the FiTech 3x2 EFI system? I found out about it about 2 weeks after I sent the carbs to Promax. The FiTech setup is VERY nice, but it's rated for 600 HP and that is about 100 less than my goal for the 541 stroker.
Speaking of, the builder hooked me up with my Viking rear shocks and we did a little "bench racing" regarding broad aspects of the build. Between the Weiand P3690982 "low profile cross/tunnel ram" intake, the factory dual plane, the Indy ModMan w/3x2 top, and the Edelbrock STR-14-6BBL he thought the Weiand had the most potential, which they used for Super Stock before fabricated intakes were legal. ALL of the ridiculous, over the top (even for me) number of articles, stories, tech bulletins, even the Chrysler Performance manual says the Weiand I have gave the best results for power, and I have some ideas from experienced people who have (and some still do) run it to make it more cruise friendly. I think the VAST displacement of my behemoth stroker may bode well for compatibility too.

Any reason you aren't going with the Viking DA on the rear?
They are really nice units, the adjustment is exactly what a high HP stick car needs.
I went with Warrior model on the front, Crusader on the rear.
Still in the process of getting mine set up with the Assassin bars, but, so far the results are impressive on unprepped surface.
So far, on the rear, I am at a number 4 rebound and 14 compression. I spose a well thought out single adjustable might end up close to what you can get the DAs to do, going with the old adage of "buy the best shocks you can afford" seems to be playing out well for my heap though.
I just ordered Viking TRIPLE adjustable Warrior B517HF XS (Xtreme Street) rear shocks:
"C" knob on the left is for low speed compression adjustment (22 settings),
Center hex adjuster is high speed compression (23 settings)
"R" knob on the right is rebound adjustment (22 settings).
20200703_212604.jpg

Wow,
What a journey.
Thanks to the participants. Y'all have been nice to me.
I've come some distance since I started this thread.
The links @IQ52 posted were helpful and interesting. Quite a few 6bbl engines making big power.
That beautiful Weiand intake absolutely will not fit under my N96 hood, unless I run it without carburetors.:rolleyes:
Based on some of the 6bbl builds, I could probably run TF 240s and my factory 6bbl intake and make power that would keep me busy, but it seems silly to not use the TF 270s on a 541, so I am going to use the Modman w/my 6bbl, opened up to MW port size.
I have the Bill Mitchell aluminum block at the shop that's doing the work, but I don't know how long it's going to take for me to buy all the rest of what I need to make an engine, but I'm making progress. The McLeod RXT dual disc clutch and pressure plate are in and working properly, as is the hydraulic clutch. I'll be playing with dialing in the HitMaster soon.
At some point I'll put the Weiand up for sale. I'm too attached to the Air Grabber to use any intake that would mean I'd have to lose my N96 hood.
Triple adjustable Viking XS Warrior shocks are in the rear, Assassin traction bars, Strange chromoly steel everything from the slip yoke to the pinion yoke are installed. Front and rear torque boxes and subframe connectors are welded in. New K-member and front suspension in.

Auto Transport Service
Back