• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Belvedere 318 poly granny cruiser (one day i hope)

Got the front clip off last night... haven't been able to get help removing the hood yet... is it possible to get the engine out of these with the hood still on?
2023-04-13 19.11.31.jpg

Great project! I have a 62 4 door of my own with a slightly modified Poly in it.

You may be able to pull the engine with the hood on if you get the cherry picker right down on the engine. You'll need to seperate it from the trans/torque converter.

Use some straps and the engine hoist to remove the hood.
I have thought of that.. i really can't take a chance of hurting that windshield though.. i will get some help eventually.. I have the trans unbolted from the motor, since it's locked i can't undo the TC bolts.. might try to get the trans out first.. i'm starting to get in RUSH RUSH mode.. and that's bad... long term project.. relax :)

I have thought of that.. i really can't take a chance of hurting that windshield though.. i will get some help eventually.. I have the trans unbolted from the motor, since it's locked i can't undo the TC bolts.. might try to get the trans out first.. i'm starting to get in RUSH RUSH mode.. and that's bad... long term project.. relax :)
If the motor is locked, I would keep the engine/trans attached and pull them both from the top. Need to remove the hood and have clearance in the garage. Less likely to break the trans/TC.

If the motor is locked, I would keep the engine/trans attached and pull them both from the top. Need to remove the hood and have clearance in the garage. Less likely to break the trans/TC.
well pewp.. all unbolted... i figured i would get a jack under the trans and lift the motor up a little then forward to clear the converter (taking off the timing cover and front of engine for more clearance) then up and out

well pewp.. all unbolted... i figured i would get a jack under the trans and lift the motor up a little then forward to clear the converter (taking off the timing cover and front of engine for more clearance) then up and out
If you have room to pull them apart then give it a try. With the radiator out, you could probably pull the engine forward with the the engine lift. And then work the trans back and down. It's a lot harder with the torque converter in place.

Or pull the engine forward and get to the TC bolts from up top.

If you have room to pull them apart then give it a try. With the radiator out, you could probably pull the engine forward with the the engine lift. And then work the trans back and down. It's a lot harder with the torque converter in place.

Or pull the engine forward and get to the TC bolts from up top.
yeah.. issue is i have to do all this alone and with a messed up shoulder... so figured not pulling both together might be a little easier than handling the whole thing at once

. issue is i have to do all this alone
I hear that ! The older I get makes it even harder. But I don't have any other hobbies.This is all I know.
My old joke is it keeps me out of bars and chasing wild women !!

A number of years ago I bought one of these to remove hoods without help. Bolt it to cherry picker and go. Best $100 spent.
Very cool project!

71solXAWsOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I hear that ! The older I get makes it even harder. But I don't have any other hobbies.This is all I know.
My old joke is it keeps me out of bars and chasing wild women !!
I did every bit of my 69 GTX by myself. I wasn't injured but it is taxing. Hood, roof, glass, engine and trans install. It was a workout for sure and did no favors to my back and knees.

Haven't gotten much done lately due to medical issues :( Tonight i rebuilt the upper door hinge on the drivers side, bushed the orignal roller also, so no need to replace it.
Got new carpet and the floor is all dynamatted... waiting to put the carpet in til i get a little more welding done that i need to do though.. don't wanna get burns :)

Slow going.. been working on the window regulators and getting the windows back in.. which is done now except 1 star washer i broke :( Anyone know where to get something like this?
2023-05-13 16.55.20.jpg

Pulled the fender splash shields today and found more rust to cut out, i think i am almost done finding bad rust... nothing too bad though, some patches and it's hidden anyway.. I doubt anyone makes splash shields.. will have to try to save mine.

signal-2023-05-14-12-40-20-045.jpg

Finally got some work done yesterday, hood is off the car so the motor/k-frame can come out...
Also turned this...
2023-05-14 11.02.12.jpg

Into this.... which i am not sure how it's supposed to look, just guessed... good enough to seal up stuff and the splash shield to mount to..

2023-05-21 14.27.36.jpg

Engines out.. now the work can start and i have no excuse... the trans has me a bit worried, never did a 2 pump but will figure it out. Gonna see if A&A or Cope will send me the correct parts to switch to 24 spline so i'm not guessing at it..

P.S. Free poly if someone is in the detroit area and wants it
2023-05-26 19.16.38.jpg

Moving a bit slow... old motor is gone, suspension/k-frame is out and degreased.. working on the LCA bushings and cleaning/painting everything now.. (need to find a local place that can match some paint for me... gotta cut out and fix some rust in the engine bay and would like to touch it up when done)
Gonna be sooo happy once all the greasy **** is done and i don't look like a coal miner everytime i touch this thing.. Main stress now is rebuilding the trans, never did a dual pump trans..
Need to find a carb.. and valve covers that clear the harland sharp rockers on small block...

A little more progress... I was hoping to get some paint mixed up to just touch up the repairs but now i'm thinking i might sand and repaint the whole engine bay... will probably be my only chance to do it. Really need to find someone local to mix paint for me.
Soo.. took this to this.. Didnt' do a great job on the arch.. but will be good enough.
2023-06-11 11.37.59.jpg
2023-06-11 13.19.25.jpg

And cut out more rust back where the seams meet in the back near the cowl.. drivers side will be a pain, need to pretty much replace it all the way down where the seams meet.
And got some paint in the wheel wells since i had the paint out for the k-frame/LCAs
2023-06-14 19.08.55.jpg
2023-06-14 19.08.49.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back