• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 roadrunner cam recommendations

72golddustermike

Reaction score
trying to select best cam for my combo. It is a 383 9 to 1 compression bored 30 over, 727 dacco 764 converter, 3.91 gears,and 255/60/15 rear tire. My engine builder suggested comp 280H 480/480.

Depends on what you want. Different cams perform differently.
You’re going to get a lot of different answers here.
Why not call a camshaft manufacturer and ask the experts?

That cam will work ok. Really hard to say what the best cam is for your application without knowing what you want. Do you want the car to be smooth and silky at idle or do you want a little musclecar rumble? Do you care about gas mileage? Do you want to wake up the neighbors when you come home or do you want to sneak in the house without your wife knowing you were gone?

Funny, I’m doing a 383 for my 70 runner right now too. It will be 10:1 with ported 906 heads along with bigger valves. The goal is around 400 hp. We have a MP .484” cam kicking around so that’s what we are going with. You will get a lot of different answers here but most guys will tell you it’s important to NOT overcam a 383 because of their small displacement

Back