• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

Going to try the new Holley intake?
Yep, thats exactly what I am going to do, I ordered one along with a 4150 to DBW TB adapter. I have not ordered a TB because I want to see if the stock 5.7 one will work. It says LS but I found some other website that suggested most modern TBs are similar but we will see.

Here is the look I am after.

IMG_8418.jpg

I’m interested to know what TB spacer and air cleaner base combo you end up settling on with the Ramcharger hood. This is something I wouldn’t mind doing with mine eventually. They look especially sneaky with the big oval air cleaner and a coil pack relocation with plug wires.

I’m interested to know what TB spacer and air cleaner base combo you end up settling on with the Ramcharger hood. This is something I wouldn’t mind doing with mine eventually. They look especially sneaky with the big oval air cleaner and a coil pack relocation with plug wires.
Yeah I agree about them looking sneaky, the best version I have seen is the the Indy valve cover with the relocated coil packs. That said I am not going that far, the big oval AC assembly will be it for me I think as I think it is just enough retro to make it look good.

Yeah, that’s what I would do also. No need to complicate things with plug wires that have to be replaced and could potentially cause EMI issues for aftermarket EFI. The only real loss is the low and midrange torque that you give up going to the single plane intake.

Well I guess we will see how that all works out. Since I do not have the car running/driving now I won't miss any loss in torque, but if it is a dog I will deal with that.

I have been following your build for awhile now, the detail is incredible. If I ever decide to quit racing, the 6.4 Hemi setup is probably the way I would go as well. Keep up the great work.

IMG_8750.jpeg

I have been following your build for awhile now, the detail is incredible. If I ever decide to quit racing, the 6.4 Hemi setup is probably the way I would go as well. Keep up the great work.

View attachment 1539074
Thank you very much for the comments, I definitely appreciate them. Your car looks like its ready to do battle.

I decided to mount the ECU to the bottom of the glove box which will make the LEDs visible from inside, I might regret this latter but we will see, if the lights are a distraction I will put some tape over them.

The harness that connects the ECU to everything else had to be modified for several reasons, first is that Holley wired the coil driver connections very close to the ECU plugs which I don't have room for nor would they reach wherever I need to mount the coil drivers. Additionally there is a relay and fuse that have to get mounted somewhere.

I suspect this done this way because its based on a LS application or something but regardless I didn't like it. What I did was cut open the loom and extend the coil driver connections so that I have some options mounting them which now I do.

I will either make a plate and mount the drivers, relay and fuse there or perhaps mount the drivers to the glove box as well (nice to have it all isolated I think).

IMG_8318.jpg
IMG_8437.jpg
IMG_8445.jpg

On a 50 F1 I worked on in 16, I extended the harnesses to the PCM also. Didn't want them in the engine bay, no room, same under the dash. I took apart the old gas tank and used that as the electronics locker. PCM, instrument cluster[ due to CANBUS communication hub], fuel pump driver and several other units. I extended them like 6'. Routed them under the cab floor, up through an enlarged hole in the floor where the fuel line poked through from the original tank to feed the engine. The donor chassis was a 04 Explorer with the 4.6. Boss wanted me to retain as much of the 04 wiring as possible. That was almost 2 months worth of wiring due to weeding out un needed circuits, doing extensions, shortening etc. Ended up with an F1 that had a mod motor, power r&p, 4 wheel disc ABS, IFS, IRS, A/C while looking like a beater.
IMG_0645.JPG

On a 50 F1 I worked on in 16, I extended the harnesses to the PCM also. Didn't want them in the engine bay, no room, same under the dash. I took apart the old gas tank and used that as the electronics locker. PCM, instrument cluster[ due to CANBUS communication hub], fuel pump driver and several other units. I extended them like 6'. Routed them under the cab floor, up through an enlarged hole in the floor where the fuel line poked through from the original tank to feed the engine. The donor chassis was a 04 Explorer with the 4.6. Boss wanted me to retain as much of the 04 wiring as possible. That was almost 2 months worth of wiring due to weeding out un needed circuits, doing extensions, shortening etc. Ended up with an F1 that had a mod motor, power r&p, 4 wheel disc ABS, IFS, IRS, A/C while looking like a beater.View attachment 1539291
That looks awesome!! I am not a Ford guy but I do like old trucks in general, I built a 52 Dodge B3B and put a 56 Desoto 330 Hemi with a 727 and 8 3/4 into it. I started with a carb but ended up with a Fitech Go Street EFI system. I put a Tanks Inc. tank into it with an in tank pump.

I completely understand about the length of time and patience it takes with wiring, I pretty much built an entire harness for my 73 Cuda restomod, I also did a 69 Belvedere Wagon with a 440 6 Pack and used a general eBay GM harness and integrated the bulkhead fitting and made harness similar to the stock setup but repinned for the EFI and new electronics.

52 B3B.jpg
IMG_1821.JPG

Nice. Once I got ahold of the Ford wiring manual for the 04, it went much faster. My boss didn't want to pony up for needed materials. I bought it and made them pay me back. That thing was further proof not all information is on the net. Wasted many hours on the net getting nowhere.

I decided to mount the ECU to the bottom of the glove box which will make the LEDs visible from inside, I might regret this latter but we will see, if the lights are a distraction I will put some tape over them.

The harness that connects the ECU to everything else had to be modified for several reasons, first is that Holley wired the coil driver connections very close to the ECU plugs which I don't have room for nor would they reach wherever I need to mount the coil drivers. Additionally there is a relay and fuse that have to get mounted somewhere.

I suspect this done this way because its based on a LS application or something but regardless I didn't like it. What I did was cut open the loom and extend the coil driver connections so that I have some options mounting them which now I do.

I will either make a plate and mount the drivers, relay and fuse there or perhaps mount the drivers to the glove box as well (nice to have it all isolated I think).

View attachment 1539118View attachment 1539119View attachment 1539120
I was thinking something similar but I was going to put the ECU in the glove box. I was planning on putting the coil drivers and relay on a bracket behind the cigarette lighter, but I haven't gotten that far. I really don't want to have to extend part of the harness, but I might not have a choice. I was also going to put the handheld in the ashtray, but I think it's just a hair too big to work. Where are you bringing the harness through the firewall?

That's clean looking. Where is your temperature control valve mounting?
It is mounted inside just before the lines exist the interior. I really thought about this and at one point had convinced myself to mount it under the fender but for whatever reason I decided against it. I will try and get a pic

I was thinking something similar but I was going to put the ECU in the glove box. I was planning on putting the coil drivers and relay on a bracket behind the cigarette lighter, but I haven't gotten that far. I really don't want to have to extend part of the harness, but I might not have a choice. I was also going to put the handheld in the ashtray, but I think it's just a hair too big to work. Where are you bringing the harness through the firewall?
@supergluehero While I think the ECU will fit into the glove box, it will consume 80% of the available space in there which is why I didn't go that route, plus you basically have to cut the back of the glove box off so that the harness can attach.

I intend to build a panel that will go between the glove box and the ash tray placing it behind the dash and that is where I will mount the coil drivers, relay and fuse. With the Vintage Air box there it is a little tight but I think it will be ok.

I am not 100% sure but I do not think the handheld will fit into the ash tray area unless you gut it completely but even then as you point out I think the handheld is a bit too wide. I am going to be building a center console that hopefully will look like the old cassette player/recorder and will be putting my AFR and fuel pressure gauges in there along with a couple of switches. I think I can incorporate the handheld either into that (say at the base) or more likely I am going to use a magnetic cell phone holder that will allow me to put it anywhere and still be useful.

My harness is going through the floor on the hump slightly on the passenger side. This will bring the wires up to the center of the engine on top of the bellhousing and provides a very clean install.

I did the harness thing and the magnetic holder deal once before already and was very happy with the results.

If you look at the right side of console under the dash you will see the magnetic holder. It has a lot of movement available.

IMG_6177.jpg

This is where the Terminator harness will go through. My "body" harness (lights and such) will go through the factor bulkhead connector location. I use a new bulkhead and rewire the various harnesses to suit my needs. It provides a stock'ish look which is ok but more to the point it is very modular which I really like.

IMG_8319.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back