• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Roadrunner 340 Auto

Use wood 6x6 2 foot pieces when blocking up my car. Had them in 8 different points on the car. Did all the work off a creeper. Had the car 12 inches off the floor. Good luck with the build.

Finally found the speed nuts and the gaskets (damn dog mush have been out in the garage again).

IMG_4226.jpg

Front gap is as good as I am going to get it

IMG_4229.jpg

Right side looking good too

IMG_4231.jpg

Left side looking good also (no it isn't so there is no pic right now). I will work on that tomorrow, I hope.

This is the original hood pin set that the car was born with, so they are staying (scratches and all). Gives it character.

IMG_4234.jpg

I made a mistake of leaving my tools by a well I was working on. When I got back the dog's had my screw driver and other assorted tool's all over the yard. Think they thought they where a chewy. LOL.

Finally found the speed nuts and the gaskets (damn dog mush have been out in the garage again).

View attachment 1149882

Front gap is as good as I am going to get it

View attachment 1149883

Right side looking good too

View attachment 1149884

Left side looking good also (no it isn't so there is no pic right now). I will work on that tomorrow, I hope.

This is the original hood pin set that the car was born with, so they are staying (scratches and all). Gives it character.

View attachment 1149892
Very Nice progress Mr. Builderguy. Just installed my fenders today, I am having trouble with my gaps, but I will keep on fiddling with them. Unfortunately I dropped a socket on my tablet that I have been using to document the build, should not have left it on the ground where I had been sitting reviewing pics and manuals so no pics to show where I am having trouble. I will take some with my phone and post them to see what you think. Thanks in advance

Up a little-down a little-forward a little- now back a little!!!!! Just to say my new hinge pillar post holes where not spot on. So had to open the holes a little on my hinges to make the door do what I wanted. It is frustrating I know form first hand. You will get it just take your time. Blue

Thank you for your concern about my safety. I have have been building homes since 1978 using concrete block, poured wall, foam wall modules, and pressure treated lumber as foundation material. Anything can fail, and just about when you say it can't, it does. But according to the rules and standards I have followed for over 40 years I will trust these dry stacked blocks. Here is the standard regarding how much weight a 8"x 8"x 16" concrete block can hold.

Standards. As per standards published in 2003 by ASTM, an international building standards non-profit, all concrete blocks must support at least 1,700 pounds of weight per square inch (PSI).

I think I will be okay.

https://www.hunker.com/13401218/what-is-the-load-bearing-capacity-of-different-sized-concrete-blocks

The important thing about that the blocks are orientated with the cores up and down as you have your blocks. When a block is set on its side as most people do it does not have nearly that bearing capacity.

Got a little more metal hung and the motor put into the K-frame with the help of the banker lady.
Still need to blackout the center section, I think.
IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

I am thinking the next steps are: running the wiring harness, installing the brake booster and master cylinder, and maybe even putting the steering column back in. IIRC there was plenty of room to get the engine past the column. I will have to dig thru the photos to double check on that.

I did not black out my front area. Figured spent so much time painting it I would just leave it. After mounting all the hard ware on the the front you cant see it any way's. Plus that A/C condenser covered a bunch.

Not sure how this happened, but the driver door spring pin popped out. Go figure!!!! This will not happen again after I swedge it in place. But first I have to get it back into position without doing any damage to the paint.

IMG_4248.jpg

Protect the paint

IMG_4250.jpg

Pry the spring back , reposition the pin, and drive it back up.

IMG_4252.jpg

Check to see the the paint is okay

IMG_4253.jpg

Guess I better check the other side, just in case.

IIRC there was plenty of room to get the engine past the column.
I've been slow with the updates on my car - I just put my assembly back in the car. You CAN put the engine and K member assembly in with the steering column in place, however, my experience is that the column needs to be pulled backwards about an inch or two so it doesn't get hung up on the box.

Looks great!

One Question for you on that air cleaner, what is the right paint code for that or where did you buy or going to if you have not yet.

question for you all. I only have a quarter panel skin, should I go straight across entire quarter panel where I was already just filling in tiny imperfections to have only 1 BIG seem to deal with, or do "smaller" sections like seen in pic but multiple horizontal and vertical. Obviously after fixing some interior panel work.

IMG_20210812_114658726.jpg

question for you all. I only have a quarter panel skin, should I go straight across entire quarter panel where I was already just filling in tiny imperfections to have only 1 BIG seem to deal with, or do "smaller" sections like seen in pic but multiple horizontal and vertical. Obviously after fixing some interior panel work.

View attachment 1152921
Hard to say without seeing it in person but if your'e talking about having 4-5 or more spots on the same section of lower quarter i would cut it all off and use the larger repair panel with one horizontal seem. I f you do go with smaller repairs try to not make the corners of your patches square but rounded as this will help a lot with controlling heat/ warpage thrown into the other area of the panel. Go slow ,skip around.

Rounded corners are better to deal with. Sharp edge is a hard thing to weld. Like was mentioned before skip around and use air blow off tip to cool it down. Just my tow cents.

Lookin good.

I sure miss my FY1 yellow Super Bee.

View attachment 1152921
+2 on one long seam. That's how I always did it as there were only partial panels back then. Just don't make too much of an overlap.

Just got back from vacation (no internet) so I am playing a little catch up.
Sparky,
I am going to use this:
IMG_4442.jpg
IMG_4443.jpg

I came across someone that used this and it looked really good (may have been Dadsbee but I don't recall right now). I will get pic as soon as I spray it (should be this week).

View attachment 1152921
As others have said, one long seam is much easier to work with, just take your time welding so you don't warp the panel.

Got back from vacation and before I can return to the Roadrunner I have to change the press in front bearing on the daily driver. PITA as I seem to be doing this every two years no matter how much I spend on the bearing. Maybe next time I will break down and buy it from the dealer.
IMG_4441.jpg

Anyway, that is done now, the camper is unpacked, and the garage is cooling down. Next step it to redo the engine bay wiring harness. Shoot, almost forgot, the brake booster and master cylinder are back in.

IMG_4445.jpg

Got the engine bay wiring harnesses put in and rough routed.

IMG_4462.jpg

Blacked out the inner grill area.

IMG_4461.jpg

Starter before
100_9301.JPG
IMG_4457.jpg

And after

IMG_4464.jpg

Little closer every day!!!! You can't see it, but I am starting to smile.

Auto Transport Service
Back