• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12 purchase questions

19 69 GTX

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Does this decode as an A12 auto car. Looking at purchasing it on Sunday and I'm no expert on A12 cars. Car is in the registry as well. Just wanna make sure it's what it's supposed to be. Anything I should be aware of as red flags. Thansk guys

Screenshot_20230804_164351_Messages.jpg

Did you search the VIN # over on The Liftoff Hood Playground? They have a lot of those cars well documented.

Am I missing something? I know those Lynch Rd. tags don’t have much info but I thought they had A12 on them.

It does seems to say E63 D32 (383/Auto), but it is very hard to read.

Tag is hard to read in the pic (and my poor eyesight doesn't help, but.... )
To be a real A12 car, the fifth digit of the Vin HAS to be M, and the middle of the tag, far left, HAS to have an A12 stamp.
The engine code on the fender tag will show 383, even on a real A12.
The three three- digit codes that decode as engine, rear, and trans are special to 6pack cars as well. If they aren't right, the cars not right.

All 6 pack cars started life as a 383 & the fender tag reflects that. The 5th digit in the VIN is what counts & it should be M.
OK. Thanks! I’m not as up on the ‘69 cars as much as the ‘70 V codes. That would be E87 followed by D21 on my ‘Cuda and Charger.

That.tag.is.suspicious. Even though it has the right spd for an early A12 (329) it's missing info found on my A12 tag. For instance, all gate info on the top line, and a third three-digit engine/rearend/trans code.

On the other hand.....mine is 426 date car, and might have more info on the tag. I would do LOTS more research before signing a check. I suggest the 69 roadrunner book (I'll remember the author and post it in a minute)
Wes Eisenschenks book. He's a member here I believe. I dont know his member name.
I bought his book full boat price at B&N. Worth every penny after ten minutes reading about my A12. (The $23 at B&N, not the $349 some ridiculous on-line retailer is asking!)

Last edited:
Didn’t Chrysler build these in-house? I wonder why they would be coded for a 383.

Didn’t Chrysler build these in-house? I wonder why they would be coded for a 383.
These were a late year build and the only other code available for a bee/rr was a hemi. They were built on a 383 platform, but the A12, the engine and rearend codes, told the assembly line guys what to put on the car.
To the O.P..... bend over. If it ain't got a Dana, it certainly ain't real, (easiest visual clue).

Last edited:
It does have the K2 Vitamin C paint code that appeared around the same time as the A12 package. A ‘69 color, on my ‘Cuda it’s EK2 EK2 E=‘69.

These were a late year build and the only other code was a hemi. They were built on a 383 platform, but the A12, the engine and rearend codes, told the assembly line guys what to put on the car.
To the O.P..... bend over. If it ain't got a Dana, it certainly ain't real, (easiest visual clue).
Yeah. They all had the Dana, and 4 wheel drums. The right setup for the 1/4 mile.

I
It does have the K2 Vitamin C paint code that appeared around the same time as the A12 package. A ‘69 color, on my ‘Cuda it’s EK2 EK2 E=‘69.
I Think there were four new colors (or shades) introduced same time as the A12, later called high impact colors. A green ,(don't recall which one exactly) a red, a yellow/butterscotch, and I think an orange.
Bahama yellow was available on most of the Plymouth line, but I was told the only Dodge you could get that color on was a 69 1/2 sixpack Bee. I don't know if that is true.

I
I Think there were four new colors (or shades) introduced same time as the A12, later called high impact colors. A green ,(don't recall which one exactly) a red, a yellow/butterscotch, and I think an orange.
Bahama yellow was available on most of the Plymouth line, but I was told the only Dodge you could get that color on was a 69 1/2 sixpack Bee. I don't know if that is true.
I believe this was the green. Rallye Green. I don’t think it made it to 1970, kind of like the Butterscotch that did reappear for ‘71.
AE561158-03C7-4FC6-97A6-D67A2E436161.jpeg
I had a neighbor as a kid that had an A12 in that color. It looked just like this one.

Auto Transport Service
Back