• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any computer techs here on the board?

Tell me you locked yerself out of it

Ernie Facepalm.png

Have a 2 TB external with alot of saved files. I ran a backup onto to it and now the files will not show.
Are they deleted????????:BangHead:

Have a 2 TB external with alot of saved files. I ran a backup onto to it and now the files will not show.
Are they deleted????????:BangHead:

You ran the backup as you normally would?

Is it a program you use, or did you just select files and copy and paste?

I hate hard drives have always ended up replacing one every year ,went to solid state not going to say one thing I don't:( want to jinx myself

Last edited:
I hate hard drives have always ended up replacing one every year ,went to solid state mot going to say one thing I don't:( want to jinx myself
I went Solid State internal on my lappie a few years ago...the original mechanical one was slowing down and making a lot of noise.
Also running a 2TB external for excess files.

First check if you have complete access to the external HDD, and if it was formated properly, check if the extension of the files are not corrupt, ieg . doc, jpeg, mp3 etc, check if that the files are not protected by a firewall or a similar program, check your antivirus, what's the OS on your computer.
What file extension are you looking for, I repair computers for years maybe I can help you

Windows10?
Did you go to file explorer, click on the external, then search for all files using *.* in the search box?

Here I simulate the external with my video cam card. Used *.* to find all files......
upload_2020-9-13_18-20-6.png

First check if you have complete access to the external HDD, and if it was formated properly, check if the extension of the files are not corrupt, ieg . doc, jpeg, mp3 etc, check if that the files are not protected by a firewall or a similar program, check your antivirus, what's the OS on your computer.
What file extension are you looking for, I repair computers for years maybe I can help you

Dale guey...I wonder if the external drive iz encrypted?

Well, then you didn't back them up correctly, unless you meant to move them off the laptop. What brand is the external HD?
The files I copied onto the HD. After I did what I thought was a back up the files did not show.
My son-in-law has it to try and help and I don't recall what brand it is.

Dave 69 is right, place in the search box the extension of the file you are trying to find, if are pics look for a *. Jpeg, music *. mp3 documents *.doc, *.xls *.pdf, movies I believe *. Wmn I can assure you that the files are there, most of my money came when I was young came from finding lost files the trick is to know we're to look.

Auto Transport Service
Back