• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thoughts on SPI Vs Eastwood Epoxy?

The not so tall man

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
Any pros/cons for either. Also what are people using for dash frame black?

If it matters, a lot of the paint and body guys over on Corvette Forum praise SPI products a lot.

What year car are you working on as the gloss level of dash frame paints varied over the years.

eastwood epoxy does not sand well...... at all

SPI epoxy sands easily....... it can be used exclusively from beginning of the job to the end......because it is so versatile

edit: didin't see the dash frame part at first........ SPI black epoxy dries satin and looks great, if that is the desired result. It provides UV protection and does not require a top coat as per the instructions

Last edited:
I've never used Eastwoid epoxy, but have sprayed a pile of the SPI. It is some great stuff. Only negative I would have, if it is one, is the 30 minute induction time.
As far as the dash frame paint. I have a custom PPG mix made up with a texture agent added in.

I believe Kirker manufactures Eastwood products.

SPI epoxy sands easily....... it can be used exclusively from beginning of the job to the end......because it is so versatile

edit: didin't see the dash frame part at first........ SPI black epoxy dries satin and looks great, if that is the desired result. it does not require a top coat as per the instructions

The top coat instructions are mostly for UV as the epoxy itself doesn't have any UV protection qualities. Parts that are going to see direct constant sunlight I would personally top coat. Suspension or under hood parts I have left bare and still look the same as the Dat I sprayed them

The top coat instructions are mostly for UV as the epoxy itself doesn't have any UV protection qualities. Parts that are going to see direct constant sunlight I would personally top coat. Suspension or under hood parts I have left bare and still look the same as the Dat I sprayed them

SPI epoxy has UV protection.... it's in the literature

1687714205089.png

Last edited:

edit: didin't see the dash frame part at first........ SPI black epoxy dries satin and looks great, if that is the desired result. it does not require a top coat as per the instructions
The longer it induces, the better the ultraviolet protection against fading.

I've used SPI on two projects and would use it again. A very nice product.

straight from the tech sheet:

4 hours of induction needed for maximum UV holdout if black epoxy is to be left uncoated.

Remove any internal gun strainers. Spray two wet coats for normal applications. For special projects such as restorations, spray one coat and let it flash 30 minutes or longer at 70 degrees or higher. Then spray a second coat for maximum corrosion protection. For frames we recommend three coats to make sure you do not have any thin spots as frames tend to be tougher to spray. You do not need to top-coat our epoxy on frames, wheel wells, firewalls, or suspension components

8ced3e_2e1da7dc5da34c94bb9c9704d8464b44.pdf (southernpolyurethanes.com)

straight from the tech sheet:

4 hours of induction needed for maximum UV holdout if black epoxy is to be left uncoated.

Remove any internal gun strainers. Spray two wet coats for normal applications. For special projects such as restorations, spray one coat and let it flash 30 minutes or longer at 70 degrees or higher. Then spray a second coat for maximum corrosion protection. For frames we recommend three coats to make sure you do not have any thin spots as frames tend to be tougher to spray. You do not need to top-coat our epoxy on frames, wheel wells, firewalls, or suspension components

8ced3e_2e1da7dc5da34c94bb9c9704d8464b44.pdf (southernpolyurethanes.com)
Now thats cool and interesting ! I wonder if they have changed their formula ? The first time I used it , I read threw all the literature and even talked about it with my paint rep . I didn't see anything about the UV inhibitor information.

But as you have provided , there it is !

I am actually interested enough to check my old TDS sheets at work.... probably from about 8 or 9 years ago now

Just ordered SPI will be here in two days. And will look into the provided dash color info. Thanks Everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back