• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody else have a thing for old tractors?

I've operated a few tractors that I have rented but none of them left a lasting impression like the enthusiasts have.
However....
Here I am, 41 years after I bought my first car, a Mopar, and my love for them is stronger that ever.
There is a massive difference between modern smaller/compacts and old "full size" farm tractors. The term "old power" is never more true than when comparing a tractor from the 50's or 60's and a modern compact.
It is also hard to describe the experience of working an old tractor in the field all day. The machine takes on personality and earns respect from you as it does what you ask it to, and you interact with it pushing it's limits.
If you can watch an antique tractor pull with speed limits enforced and some semblence of integrity to keeping them stock(Symco in WI does this) an easy comparison is to watch what a weighted JD G will move, compare it to modern small tractor, and then realize the G is rated at like 36 drawbar HP or something and will do it all day every day for years.

I have a 1945 M farmall that we acquired at a sale in 1985. I was only 13 at the time. But what left an impression on me was at this particular sale the farmer was selling out the family farm equipment he had been operating. After the sale was over I was the one going to drive the M home. But when we pulled up a man was sitting on the tractor, started it, sped it up and shut it off and remained in the seat. He was the owner and was saying goodbye to it. He knew every little detail that had been done to it. His Dad bought it new when he was a boy, and he spent 40 years on it.
I recently did some research on trying to figure out who the man was. I couldn't remember his name, neither could Dad. But, I remembered driving across a bridge immediately after the farm. I was describing the farm with a friend and he helped me figure out who he was. The man died 15 years ago and the farm is gone... planted to corn. So I looked to see if there was any family from his obituary...and talking about it being a "small world"...my wife and I had done several stories with a TV host here in Nebraska and as it turns out the man on the seat was is uncle, and I have a Celebrities grandfather's M that was purchased new during world War II.

Last edited:
We had an old Allis Chalmers at our cattle ranch It was a regular size for that era era. .I remember the front wheels were really close together. My dad gave away that and a 70's ski boat to my brother's inlaws when the family basically relocated to Colorado. We didn't have a ranch out here until later.

Last edited:
After I purchased my property in 1996, I bought a 1952 Allis Chalmers WD45 with the wide front axle. It was a gasser that was in pretty good shape. That thing sure taught me about tractors, I'll tell you what! I ended up doing quite a bit on that. New rear tires, rebuilt the ignition system, added a couple of lights, and a few other things. I got wrecked in the May 2003 tornado, as it got lifted up from where it was parked, thrown across the yard, and dropped (my guess) about a hundred feet, landing on its tires. Damaged every bit of sheet metal, ripped the exhaust clean off, and did a bit more damage...but it started right up! My other A-C at the time, a beautifully-restored 1938 Model B, had one tiny dent on the radiator cowling! Crazy!

The pics are representative of my old rigs, they are NOT my actual tractors.

Later on, I had a restored Ford 8N, a tiny 4x4 Japanese Ford Diesel tractor, and my current tractor, a 1964 Ford 4000 Diesel tractor that suits what I need. I've owned that one for 11 years now. It has 145 hours on a rebuilt top end, and is ultra-reliable. It's a fun one to use.

1696252377873.png

1696252323139.png

Last edited:
I have a 62 John Deere 4010 diesel I've been working on for a couple of years. Cut my teeth on these when I worked at the dealer starting in 1974 up in IL. I really liked working on tractors but the pay was terrible so had to move on after 10 yrs.
Day I bought it.
4010 b.jpg

Taking it to Il. behind 2500

20210602_112251.jpg

Putting a clutch in it

DSC01552.JPG

I have a 1945 M farmall that we acquired at a sale in 1985. I was only 13 at the time. But what left an impression on me was at this particular sale the farmer was selling out the family farm equipment he had been operating. After the sale was over I was the one going to drive the M home. But when we pulled up a man was sitting on the tractor, started it, sped it up and shut it off and remained in the seat. He was the owner and was saying goodbye to it. He knew every little detail that had been done to it. His Dad bought it new when he was a boy, and he spent 40 years on it.
I recently did some research on trying to figure out who the man was. I couldn't remember his name, neither could Dad. But, I remembered driving across a bridge immediately after the farm. I was describing the farm with a friend and he helped me figure out who he was. The man died 15 years ago and the farm is gone... planted to corn. So I looked to see if there was any family from his obituary...and talking about it being a "small world"...my wife and I had done several stories with a TV host here in Nebraska and as it turns out the man on the seat was is uncle, and I have a Celebrities grandfather's M that was purchased new during world War II.
we had a super M on propane ,too , was as good as they come ...

Here is a 1938 John Deere my friend did up. He is the guy that did body and paint on my 1964 Polara. He mainly does antique tractors and gas pumps, but occasionally does a car.

image8[1].jpg

image9[1].jpg

image10[1].jpg

image11[1].jpg

Last edited:
Our AC looked like Patrick66's, but with the narrow front axle. We had a brush hog on the back and I did a lot of wheelies in that thing.

The same time the muscle cars where mainstream, the American tractor companies were-on a horsepower quest. Almost Nobody had 100hp tractors until mid 60’s. And then manufactures couldn’t make them fast enough clear up until the 80’s.

Not sure if anyone saw a September 28th post from Carlisle on Facebook but they posted this Massey Ferguson with a 318 in it……

Do small old lawn and garden tractors count too in this post? Here is mine that got a handmade 2nd place trophy in the tractor class at a car, truck, and tractor show this past weekend hosted by the FFA. It’s a 1967 Sears Craftsman, and yes it is the original color combination.

AD31BA45-1CDA-4100-AD3E-46FD7DC414F7.jpeg

FC5B05D8-3C7C-43B1-8B80-8609063830FA.jpeg

2EFB5786-628C-466D-8EDB-C5F753096BAD.jpeg

392D5356-91D4-47EC-9C6C-3D5895101863.jpeg

218915D7-6142-461E-97C2-696DFFED3FE7.jpeg

2087DE01-778A-4DA1-9917-387BCF2C7554.jpeg

2A5D4A12-55A2-4AA5-9E86-B075073711DF.jpeg

Do small old lawn and garden tractors count too in this post? Here is mine that got a handmade 2nd place trophy in the tractor class at a car, truck, and tractor show this past weekend hosted by the FFA. It’s a 1967 Sears Craftsman, and yes it is the original color combination.

View attachment 1534034

View attachment 1534035

View attachment 1534036

View attachment 1534037

View attachment 1534038

View attachment 1534039

View attachment 1534040
Congratulations on your award. Well deserved.

Not sure if anyone saw a September 28th post from Carlisle on Facebook but they posted this Massey Ferguson with a 318 in it……

There were a lot of old tractors that were converted over to V8 power for pulling. A buddy of mine had an F20 IH with a small block chebby in it for pulling.

A guy in our area has an old Massey Harris that has a 1964 Plymouth 383 in it.

i sure do there are some great styling on some of them …..

Plowing under sod. Hard and dry conditions.

EA42E4C5-7EEB-4156-A011-795EC7F8DF1E.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back