• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody insulating the body panels?

RS23VOA

Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
I've been thinking about putting insulation under the headliner, in the doors, on the floors, behind the back seat and package tray. Have any of you ever done this? I want to help eliminate heat and noise.

I believe Summit sells the material. A lot of street rodders use it and you will likely get more info on this subject on a street rodders forum.

I am in the process of doing that now. For the head liner, the installers had me stay 1 1/2 - 2 in away from the bows. I am only doing the unseen areas, so it works like it's there but it will not be able to be seen. You probably will find you need to do some rust abatment on the floor before lining. Not sure what I will do on the sides - I really do not want to pull out all the glass. Might go with lizard skin in there. The rest I am doing with Eastwood Thermo Cool or Thermo tech, never can remember the name. If you do it use a butal rubber Not an asphalt based product. I get my thermo cool on ebay Eastwood site it will cost less than through thier web store and they will pick up the freight. Dont worry if you dont get the first bid, last time it was about 135$ and I would not go that high. Two days later I got 9 18 x 30 sheets for $118 much less than fat mat. Dont buy thier roller. I found a 3in at home depot a 2in at Kellymore contractors factory local store and a 1in at lowes. Also watch out for the peel -n seal hardware store stuff heard much bad bout that.
Be prepared to do much cutting there aint hardly 4 square inches of flat smooth metal and some times it pays to make a paper template before cutting the mat. Smaller pices and strips do better on complex rounded curved areas, this you will find when doing the wheel wells.
And even though theya all say our rubber backing conforms well to all contoures...well yeah it does but the foil top does not give at all and will rip rather than streatch. in a lot of the little 1/2in valleys I put a small strip im there as a filler so the upper cover will have a smoother surface to adhere to.
I will double up on the main floor pan and hump. and once you have done all that might as well spring for new carpet it will be the best time to put it in, save the old one, it makes an excellent template.
Best of luck to ya.

My plan is the spray on type lizard skin or bed liner the entire inside floors, roof,doors,trunk ect.

That would have been an option but I had already replaced the dash pad and restored all the dash plastic. Could not risk getting overspray on a bunch of new parts.

Understood mine is a rolling shell so i'm golden.

I did "jute 3/8" fiber insulation under/behind the rear seat, between the trunk & cabin, under the package tray & under the carpeting, none in the roof trunk or doors yet & I will use Duplicolor spray/roll-on bed liner in the trunk, after some POR-15 1st as primer, then do the doors, firewall, roof & quarters with some Dyna-mat latter when I tear the car apart "again", before I finally go to paint it... The insulation under/behind the rear seat, package tray & carpeting, made a world of difference in sound, I don't know about the heat yet, I haven't driven the car much lately for any long period of time, I think it will help a bunch, also it makes the carpeting seem much more plush & cushy too... I know a few people that have issues with the stick on/glue on stuff, that's why I used the Jute pad, wear I could, it's actually not any heavier than the stick on type stuff... I do care about all the extra weight, that I add, I spent a ton of money on aluminum & fiberglass stuff to lighten up the car & I don't want to just add it back to the car, in insulation... Have fun & Happy Mopaing...

Auto Transport Service
Back