• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Else Experience This?

crahill39

Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
It took over 4 years to get the GTX home and on the road. For the past 4 years I kept telling myself how much fun this car is going to be and I will drive the crap out of it. Fast forward 4 years and I finally got the car a couple weeks ago. The first time taking it out, I had major anxiety. I am so worried that something is going to happen to the car and 4 years will be wasted or all the money I tied up in the car will be diminished by a scratch here and ding there etc. I love the car, but a part of me wishes the car was a just a beater like I drove in high school. Anyone else go through this?

Well I always say it doesn't do much good sitting in the garage. You just need to drive it and go through the first and second paint chip.
Then the fun begins.

In my opinion, you've got to truly love it to get any real enjoyment out of having one of these old cars. Love tinkering with this, rebuilding that, fixing any number of things that break, restoring the other, etc.. And then, after all that, you're boxed in by insurance restrictions, whether the weather is nice the day you want to drive it, whether it's going to get you home, etc.. So, if you can get past all of that, as Don Frelier said, you have to get it out of the garage and drive it. Whether the "fun begins" is up to each person. Just my opinion. BTW, the fact that my '70 Super Bee is for sale speaks to where I stand on the subject.

Last edited:
Kick a dent in the door and then you won't care! Just kidding, I guess we all share that feeling to some degree. When you have a passion for these cars, you want it to stay as close to perfect as possible and still enjoy it. At the end of the day though, I say drive it!

I look at mine like this. I’m a mechanic, If it breaks, I can fix it.

I also have insurance for peace of mind

Kind of like a marriage, everthing s perfect for a couple of years then you learn to love the flaws and it gets better

I have one that is too nice (for me) to drive and feel the same way.Sits most of the time.Take it to 2 maybe 3 shows a year. Working on a driver/beater now that won't break the bank and I can drive on a regular basis without anxiety.Let me know if you find a way to get over this.No kidding.

I feel the same somtimes,but once you start
driving it goes away.
I do drive very defensively,that's normal

you could leave it in the garage safe and sound.....maybe
burned 300 & runner.jpg

or have tons of fun with it. It's gonna get scratches,chips,bugs splattered on it. We only have so many heart beats...enjoy life, and have good insurance.

Just like the 64 duo-glide panhead I built, my 64 Plymouth Sport Fury, I built. No damn show car...for me to drive, like it should be, enjoy, and don't much give a damn what anybody else thinks. Nuff said.

I was so nervous driving my '72 SSP for the first time after paint that I actually turned down a one-way street going the wrong way in my own neighborhood. Once I got turned back around, had to talk myself into settling down for the moment.

Since then I have taken two road trips of almost 5,000 miles each with no problems.

DSC01151.JPG

Last edited:
Mate I've been going for 3 1/2 years and will hopefully getting registered next week. Virtually finished except paint job (which I'm debating doing for the reasons you listed). Just drive it, enjoy it, and then have a tidy up in a few years if it needs it. I mean you probably have a bit of wear and tear yourself, a few scars, maybe a dodgy knee, but you're still alive and having fun. Right?

Last year I finally decided to drop over $35k in my '63. Being a CA car I bought 22 years ago it "looked" better than it was. Ask me how I know? So now more cautious. I don't take it to the grocery store like I used to or leave it unattended in parking lots where some one might bang the doors. We have plenty of shows around here I go to with a couple buddies and we go cruising in the sticks usually after the shows. On average if I put 400 miles on a year that's a lot. Always was that way. A friend of a friend had a '69 RR he paid a fortune to have redone super cherry. Than what happens to the poor guy? Some stupid gal broadsides him at an intersection totaling the car. That sort a story is scary. She just barreled through probably on her friggin IPhone. She was further effed in the head asking the guy "Didn't you see me?" Gather she thinks she has the right of way even on a red light. Well then ya got the deer jumping out everywhere including my driveway...well we take a risk leaving the front door each day...

I just got my 442 legal and driving. I got the "drive it to work occasionally" agreed value insurance. I plan to drive it every week if possible. **** happens but letting it rot as a trailer queen makes no sense. I drive it and my Camaro SS somewhat defensively, but once you get the first door ding or paint chip it gets easier. I know it's not a Mopar, but at least it's not a Chevelle...
park_l_front small.jpg

My Charger is a restoration and restomod with HOK candy paint. I'll freak out if it gets damaged, but I'll fix it and soldier on.
Tim

I bought this from the truck forum a couple months ago....
PTDC0001.JPG

didn't have quite a month, coming home from afternoon one night a few moles from home a drunk driver came flying out of a driveway right at me....
enhance.jpg

She got a ride in a police car with bracelets, and my truck is repaired.

It took over 4 years to get the GTX home and on the road. For the past 4 years I kept telling myself how much fun this car is going to be and I will drive the crap out of it. Fast forward 4 years and I finally got the car a couple weeks ago. The first time taking it out, I had major anxiety. I am so worried that something is going to happen to the car and 4 years will be wasted or all the money I tied up in the car will be diminished by a scratch here and ding there etc. I love the car, but a part of me wishes the car was a just a beater like I drove in high school. Anyone else go through this?

My screen name is NJRR because when I joined I had a rotisserie restored, matching number, 70 RR in FC7, white interior and white top. I drove it a handful of times a year, mostly to local shows, for the same reason, scared shitless to get a ding from a kicked up rock or some asshat not looking where he's going. So when I came across my current ride, a 70 Satellite drop top in driver's condition ( which was my first Mopar also back in college), I jumped on it and sold my RR. I also got to put a big chunk of change in my pocket, which the wife liked cause she got new carpeting in the house out of it. Now, I have no hesitation taking the Satty out. The paint is not perfect, but a nice 10 footer. There were a couple of dings in it too, so she wasn't a virgin.And you know that girls and cars with a few miles on it are A LOT more fun to ride !!!!!

To the OP, I know you're prob feeling a little bummed in getting rid of a car that you have so much invested in, but it won't bother you as much when you get a new ride. Sorta like women too !!!!!!! :lol:

No I don't usually have that problem of fear...
Mine are just driver quality, maybe a slight bit better,
it's not show quality...
I can't blame anyone but me, I did it all...
I like it that way too...
It may not be the bell of the ball, but it's all mine...
I do sometimes wish it was nicer, in some aspects...
But I'd be worried more too, no doubt...
But that doesn't mean I don't worry, still
I don't really trust other drivers or people in general...
I rarely leave it unattended for long...
It lives a pampered life, for it's stature, always in the garage,
never left out much :lol: never driven in the rain or snow...
sometimes;
I'm guilty of not driving it, 'like it's meant to be too'

Never been a 'no go show boat', type guy or a true purist...
Albeit if I had the $$$, I'd probably own a few of them too :poke:

It's a car, it's my 111th car/vehicle too,
been there done that...
If it breaks or get hit, 'usually' it can be fixed,
if you/I sell it, it can be replaced, 'usually'...

I'm at the stage in life, where I'm nearing the attitude
'the want to have fun & build them, to just drive them locally'
I don't care what others think "usually"
I'm just not that into long distance drives, in anything anymore...
Maybe it's because I drove 100's of thousands of miles
all over before, been to almost all 50 states
{'edited; not really' Maine or Vermont, barely to North Dakota},
shipped cars to Hawaii & Puerto Rico
& most states many, many times, to & from...
Been to like 90-100 {not sure exactly how many} different racetracks etc.

I'm content with just taking it out & romping on it,
it makes me smile, that's what it's all about
& getting a few thumbs up from the neighbors, kids etc.
more than, cruises, shows or tours...

If I put 2,000 miles a year, that's a good year...

Mine is never done...

I'm never completely happy with any of them either...

It's a conundrum...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back