• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else into bicycles?

Built my first one last month. Based a mid 80's Jamis Boss Cruiser frame. 80 cc worked engine. Added nitrous for kicks via a whip it kit. Scary fast and it is too hot to wear the safety gear it demands. Still breakin in the engine so no WOT for any length of time , but got 35 mph on a Florida flat road.View attachment 440942 View attachment 440943

Mosquito, that thing is freakin awesome! I've been planning to turn a steel beach cruiser I have into a jet bike.

I teach at the local votech - about 3 miles from home. The kids would freak out if I rode a jet bike to work every day.

Mosquito, that thing is freakin awesome! I've been planning to turn a steel beach cruiser I have into a jet bike.

I teach at the local votech - about 3 miles from home. The kids would freak out if I rode a jet bike to work every day.
A pulse jet would be a wicked pisser! Got to say this bike cost me about $350 to build, just bought a 82 GS1100 for $1400 like new with 37k on the clock. Bicycle was fun to build using a bunch of skills, but got the feeling I will get a whole lot more out of the turnkey Suzuki. 35 mph on a bicycle on the street with a lot more available even with out a gear change is just too fast, especially for the brakes I have on it. Doubt if disc's would give me much more confidence.

Bargain
Those Master Lights are pieces of art. Bet it rides like a dream. It's nice building a dream bike at a bargain price. In 2001, i drooled over the LeMond Zurich, which was like $2500; closer to $4500 as I built it.

Here it is 16 years later, cost me about $450 out of pocket. With the 853 steel frame and some carbon, the ride is indescribably good.

It rides GREAT! Friend has a C-40 and a Master Lite, road both along with a Ti bike he use to own and my Aluminum GT.. Steel is REAL.. I still have my GT ZR1000 for quick rides and climbs, she is a lightweight Speedster..

00O0O_hpWJxoqQZ3A_1200x900.jpg

A pulse jet would be a wicked pisser! Got to say this bike cost me about $350 to build, just bought a 82 GS1100 for $1400 like new with 37k on the clock. Bicycle was fun to build using a bunch of skills, but got the feeling I will get a whole lot more out of the turnkey Suzuki. 35 mph on a bicycle on the street with a lot more available even with out a gear change is just too fast, especially for the brakes I have on it. Doubt if disc's would give me much more confidence.

Yeah I hear ya on that. Those pulse jets are crazy! I'm looking more for a turbine engine that will just give me the wow factor and a little extra push - probably a larger scale RC type. Maybe turn a 15mph pace (pedaling) into 20 mph.

Bet you never saw one of these in person.
I'll have it at Carlisle next week.

IMG_7706.JPG IMG_7707.JPG

Great thread...bikes are one of my other passions.

In my stable currently I have a 27.5 Giant Trace with pretty much nothing stock left on it, a Giant Defy Composite that doesn't get as many miles as it should, and a Giant ToughRoad that I converted to drop bar and serves as my daily commuter bike and bike camping rig.

I'll have to go take pics of my old PK Ripper and GT Team bike I used to race BMX on...they're at my parents house still. Haha.

12746386_1240313485984518_1060038658_n.jpg
17269922_1613122858703577_1555405202_o.jpg
747BABC5-6570-49C1-8AB7-EED05882E65D_zpsx2bioso2.jpg
B3BFDD6C-7E0F-403B-8C64-D7808E77056A_zpsysxk2vlx.jpg

I'm old school, old school, and really old school. In 1960 My grandfather bought me my first bike. It was a 26" Columbia Viking in red, at the local Goodyear tire. I have been casually looking for one to restore for some time. This one was on eBay two years ago, and is only one of two I found. The owner started the action off at three hundred, plus a high shipping. I don't want one that bad. And I just missed another one last summer on eBay. Columbia built this Viking model from 1951 to 1967, but they evolved in looks and features as time went on. Come to find out mine was built especially for Goodyear tire stores. So far I have found some parts, frame chain guard and rear rack but no tank, which is rather distinctive. Right now I have to put that dream on hold as the car comes first.

7bcec624825322d80d167f99dc7bfed6.jpg

There are only 2 Schwinns in that lineup. The rest are Roadmaster, Rollfast, Western Flyer, Columbia, Huffy, Murray, Monark, and JC Higgins. They're all between 1949-1957.

There are only 2 Schwinns in that lineup. The rest are Roadmaster, Rollfast, Western Flyer, Columbia, Huffy, Murray, Monark, and JC Higgins. They're all between 1949-1957.

They'd beautiful. How long did it take ya to collect them? Do you build / restore or collect finished bikes?

These aren't restored. I only collect nice original examples that might only need some light clean-up and overhaul. When I got into old bikes, I made a list of the ones that I just had to have. It took me about 3 years to round up that lot. They're all gone now but four of them and they're currently for sale right now. I would've like to have kept them but I gotta feed the Mopar addiction. Lmao

I bet I could make more money working on bicycles......

Auto Transport Service
Back