• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever have this happen with a car battery???

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
My wife was out getting some groceries last night, and when she went to start the car to come home.....BOOM. One almighty explosion under the hood of her car. No Mafia involved....just the battery. I can't explain what happened apart from the battery case just blew apart. Sprayed some acid around the engine, and leaked a little on the ground....but otherwise OK.
Luckily a guy parked next to her had some tools and quickly disconnected the battery and checked for fire. There was a lot of smoke, but no long-term damage it seems.

As it was after hours all the shops were shut and there was no hope of getting a replacement, until a phone call to my buddy MowPar. He had a new one sitting in his workshop. So after nearly 3 hours of driving I had the car up and running again. Checked the voltages - all seems normal. maybe just age or a bad plate?? :eusa_think:

Here are a few pics of the battery - only a small 330CCA unit for 4-cylinder engines;

Really weird, but just lucky no-one was hurt, and even more lucky MowPar came to the rescue ....again :headbang:

Wow, I haven't seen that before while in a vehicle. Saw it happen on a battery charger, but it was also an older battery. Glad no injuries and all seems fine!

I'm sorry it happened but really happy that everything is all right for your wife and you Kiwi. What and who's car is that in the picture?

The battery had a shorted cell and the acid level fell below the short - leaving it exposed to the 'air' - she hit the key which made a spark - the vapors are combustible - boom - blown up battery!

Glad it didn't happen when someone was under the hood.

Wow sorry to see that. I'm glad no one was hurt. I've never seen or heard of that.

Yup....what BBishere2 said. Seen it before too but it doesn't happen that often thankfully. I try to find batteries that are refillable but most of the no maintenance batteries can be opened to check levels but even that doesn't make them 100% safe. Have you ever seen someone 'test' a battery by touching the posts with a big screw driver or something similar? That can do it too if the conditions are right. Saw one blow up in a guys face one time when he did that. Luckily there was a water hose close by. Glad no one got hurt with yours....

As indicated, when the liquid falls below the top of the plates allowing the short to be exposed, this is the dangerous time.
I've only had that happen once in 1980. A piece of airline ground equipment I was working on.
Wasn't even handling the battery.
Rare but it happens. Wear your eye protection around batteries.
No exceptions.

I had it happen back in '75 while jumping a car off, but fortunately I was able to react quickly enough to turn and duck. Just got some acid splatter on my clothes was all, very, very lucky.

two words for your next battery " Maintenance Free" Glad no one was hurt, but what a bad husband for not maintaining your wifes car man you should be ashamed hang your head down dude! lmao

Yeah I had this happen to me it was in my driver (2003 Mitsubishi spider) just got done driveing it went inside for a few minutes and had to go back out hit the key and the batt blew apart ,and acid everywhere. The battery was not super old maybe 4 years so maybe it said screw it (took the paint off the under side of the hood . By the way I put a new battery in it and it had no problems for the next 3 years (till I sold it) not shure how long it went after so no worries just a bad battery

Always, always, always wear safety glasses when working around batteries, no exceptions. It's always a good idea to wear safety glasses anytime you are under the hood or under the car.

I've had it happen twice. Also have had 3 car fires not related to the battery explosions.

I never had that happen to me,
I know of people that had it happen thou,
royally sucks,
I'm glad nobody got hurt or the car really damaged badly too,

Remind me to never buy a car from you! lmao

Ya know , now that I think about it ..Its been about 5 car fires. ha ha. but it wasn't something I worked on..well I forgot the oil cap once..but those weren't my shotgun shells in the heater box of the truck that went up.. and..LOL

I had an old boat we used to take out when i was a teen. Tried to take it out 20 years later. The new battery lost it power so i switched to the trolling motor deep cycle battery. BAAM. Scared my kids so bad they will never go near a small boat again.

I've heard of battery explosions but never seen one, glad everyone is ok.
Cheers to mowpar for saving the day.

I'm sorry it happened but really happy that everything is all right for your wife and you Kiwi. What and who's car is that in the picture?

Thanks....and you have a keen eye my friend :icon_wink:

- - - Updated - - -

What make of lawn tractor was your wife driving?

No mower blades on the family runner :) Toyota Caldina 2.0l ...similar to this one below

20110720172630.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The battery had a shorted cell and the acid level fell below the short - leaving it exposed to the 'air' - she hit the key which made a spark - the vapors are combustible - boom - blown up battery!

Glad it didn't happen when someone was under the hood.

Thanks for the reasoning behind what happened. The battery was 6 years old, and quite likely a little short on regular maintenance. :grin:

- - - Updated - - -

Yup....what BBishere2 said. Seen it before too but it doesn't happen that often thankfully. I try to find batteries that are refillable but most of the no maintenance batteries can be opened to check levels but even that doesn't make them 100% safe. Have you ever seen someone 'test' a battery by touching the posts with a big screw driver or something similar? That can do it too if the conditions are right. Saw one blow up in a guys face one time when he did that. Luckily there was a water hose close by. Glad no one got hurt with yours....

Don't really want to try testing the battery 'resistance' like that ...with a big old screwdriver. That would make for an explosion, if it''s a lead-acid style and it has been freshly charged. :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

two words for your next battery " Maintenance Free" Glad no one was hurt, but what a bad husband for not maintaining your wifes car man you should be ashamed hang your head down dude! lmao

Quite right...I should be ashamed of myself for neglecting my wife's car every minute of the day. :eusa_doh:
Every time I use it I end up checking tire pressures and water, fluids, oil etc....have to admit to not checking the battery in about 6 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Always, always, always wear safety glasses when working around batteries, no exceptions. It's always a good idea to wear safety glasses anytime you are under the hood or under the car.

Thanks....I wore safety glasses when I installed the new one, and while I was testing the voltages etc....just to be sure. :headbang:

- - - Updated - - -

I've had it happen twice. Also have had 3 car fires not related to the battery explosions.

Mental note to self.....don't ride with that guy Lets Roll. :rolling::rolling:

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard of battery explosions but never seen one, glad everyone is ok.
Cheers to mowpar for saving the day.

Yep, thanks....MowPar is a real legend when it comes to helping people out. :notworthy::notworthy:

- - - Updated - - -

...........What and who's car is that in the picture?

It's a 1952 something.....will find out soon from MowPar.....he likes to mess with photos like that. :icon_wink:

Auto Transport Service
Back