• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad luck or ungrateful P.O.S

Adam Nathan

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know where or who supplies heater cores for a 70 B body. Used to be an aircon car so I assume I'll need the correct core to fit the heater box. It's a big twin core type so I figure that'll be the most expensive one.
Having just replaced every bush, ball joint, nut+bolt, tyres, starter moter, power steering pump+Pulley, door rubbers, hoses, belts, mirrors, shifter+linkages, cam shaft, lifters, springs, caps, retainers, radiator+shroud, water pump, distributor, coil, plugs, leads, transmission rebuild + new pan, rebuilt cluster with L.E.D replacements and all the other **** I can't remember + the countless hours cleaning, scraping and painting. Finish work and go straight to the garage to put in some more hours, gave her an oil and filter change and just when you think you've finally got there you take the bastard out for a well earned drive the heater core starts leaking.
You ungrateful *+%#}~<€^%{~?€$+**
Ahhh that's better. Thank you.
And yes I know as my dad keeps telling me
"that's old cars for you son"
Guess I got some more hours in the garage ahead of me now with the credit card on stand-by.

Good on you for venting Adam :headbang:

Now, just putting it out there....are the heater box units the same for Air and Non-Air cars? I've never owned an Air car so I don't know the answer. Might make life easier for Adam if we get the answer before he orders the wrong core. :icon_thumright:

AC & Non-AC boxes and cores are completely different....AC cores usually are around $250 or so....A company in Texas was the only company that had them as far as I knew

Thanks kiwi. I feel bad now for putting her down lol.
Yes A383 is correct the heater boxes are completely different for AC and non AC. Was wondering though as my car is no longer an AC car it seems pointless fitting a core that's not needed. Could a non AC core be made to fit?

I hear you. I'm having some fun of my own right now. Seems no matter what you do...My car is going to Vegas if I have to push it. Growing up I had a neighbor who had it nailed. His name was Art and drove a 1960 Maroon Corvair 4 door that he bought new. Stick car. All he ever said was "bullshit, it's all bullshit.

Thanks kiwi. I feel bad now for putting her down lol.
Yes A383 is correct the heater boxes are completely different for AC and non AC. Was wondering though as my car is no longer an AC car it seems pointless fitting a core that's not needed. Could a non AC core be made to fit?

no, it will not fit. You could use a non-ac box in your car, but the entire firewall is different also, you would have holes in firewall that are not used anymore, plus it would look like crap

LOL. Sounds like a little of my luck has come your way. Seems at times that every little portion of the project has to buck a little when working on these old cars.

Hey Adam, I found this helpful thread by 'showard' - check out page 3 where the A/C heater box assemble is being worked on. :headbang:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?78137-My-charger-restoration-dream-car/page3

Thanks again kiwi. Your a true legend. Now with regards to that thread, holy **** have you seen how many pieces go to make up that heater box.
Think it'd be easier to cut holes in the floor and let the heat from the exhausts come on in lol.

Thanks again kiwi. Your a true legend. Now with regards to that thread, holy **** have you seen how many pieces go to make up that heater box.
Think it'd be easier to cut holes in the floor and let the heat from the exhausts come on in lol.

Rather you than me :tongue: Hey I hope it helps somewhat - going to be more logistically challenging with you over the other side of the Atlantic getting parts. :eek:

Rather you than me :tongue: Hey I hope it helps somewhat - going to be more logistically challenging with you over the other side of the Atlantic getting parts. :eek:

That's what bothers me mate. Don't think my local auto parts store is gonna have a heater core for a 1970 B body with AC.
I could ask but I'm pretty sure I know what he's reply wil be :nono:
Maybe my excuse to head back on over to the good ol US of A.

Well it's now mid day on Sunday and the tear down has begun.
Centre consol is out to make way to get to the heater box. I feel a beer coming on real soon.

Last edited:
I wish we wer closer, I would gladly trade you heater boxes( if you wished) would like to make my hotrod an a/c car. anywho, I would love to see you banging gears in down town london , lmao!! :3gears:

Adam,
You should take your heater box apart before ordering a new core. It could be one of the hoses or the small valve that is attached to the heater core that could be the problem.
The small valve is available from Classic air if you need that one. I think they are about $80.00 and come with new hoses. Anyway, take it apart to see where the leak is coming from. If it is the heater core itself, they can be cleaned and repaired.

I was looking for the exact same heater core that you need. I was also looking for nearly the entire A/C system also because it had been removed over the years. By the time I found a core, then figured the prices for the rest of the A/C stuff I needed to put it back the way it should be, I found it was cheaper, plus probably more efficient to go the aftermarket route. I went with Classic Auto Air. Everything is new,plus improved over the original A/C. My cost was just a little more than replacing all components of the A/C but I think that I will have less worries in the long run.

For what it's worth...(yeah, I know, totally different years.)

My 64 was an a/c car. No interest in a/c. I picked up a 64 non-a/c heater box, that would bolt right up. As far as the firewall holes, simply made block-off plates, painting them with the firewall. All good to go. Just had to change out handful of parts, including the dash.

Well after a few hours and a visit to my friend Steve the jobs all done and completed.
I took the old core to Steve who repairs stuff like that and yes it was toast but to my suprise he pulled out a brand new core that fitted the original AC housing. So no need to change that.
It's slight smaller and the hose outlets are In the wrong locations but with some modifications I knew I could get it to fit without it being noticeable. The Core was fitted and plumbed in and working within a day.
Far from the easiest job I've ever had to do on the car but the relief when it was all back together again was priceless.
Normally I like to replace parts on the car with original correct items, but on this occasion you'd never know what core was in there and there are no visible signs or giveaways and that I can live with. Plus it only worked out at £50 or $65 approx for the core.
Now just waiting for the next problem to come kick me in the balls lol.
Thanks all for your advice and suggestions. As always it's very much appreciated:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 181
Nice work and it sounds like you have a good mate to help out. :headbang:

Auto Transport Service