• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better, best fire ant killer?

I was using Amdro, but Spectracide works better for me.

9b21f4bb-049c-416b-a3d9-06176e3d5308.jpeg

Last edited:
Grits Cranky!!! When the Ants grab a grain of it and return to their den, other Ants will feed off it and the grits then expand in their digestion tract and they blow up. I know this trick works because I had a Fire Ant problem when I was in Florida. My neighbor told me and it is effective...Give it a try...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:
I've heard salt coarse grains work similar, process

Amdro makes at least two different ant poisons. One for fire ants and the other covers up 12 other type ants. I have both types here and have to use which is needed as they won't interchange.
I am not a pest control guy but have been told one can kill the zillion of ants in a mound with whatever but if you do not kill the queen, the colony will continue, there or they will move. Supposedly, if you don't stir up the colony they will feed the poison sooner of later to the queen, and she dies. But what most don't know is even when the whole colony eats and dies, you can still have new ants hatch, and attempt to keep the mound working. Thus, a second feeding is needed. I constantly have to work my yards every year. I live rural with lots of hay fields and cow pastures and nothing is every done to slow their spread, and the flighty new queens from there consistently choose my place.

Amdro makes at least two different ant poisons. One for fire ants and the other covers up 12 other type ants. I have both types here and have to use which is needed as they won't interchange.
I am not a pest control guy but have been told one can kill the zillion of ants in a mound with whatever but if you do not kill the queen, the colony will continue, there or they will move. Supposedly, if you don't stir up the colony they will feed the poison sooner of later to the queen, and she dies. But what most don't know is even when the whole colony eats and dies, you can still have new ants hatch, and attempt to keep the mound working. Thus, a second feeding is needed. I constantly have to work my yards every year. I live rural with lots of hay fields and cow pastures and nothing is every done to slow their spread, and the flighty new queens from there consistently choose my place.
I'm in the outdoor concert industry.
Quite often when doing large outdoor shows, the municipality will arrive the morning of the event, and have a city worker apply Amdro on the mounds thru out the location on the grass field.
I suppose to protect the public, two weeks after the concert?:rolleyes:

Broadcasting that 3 in 1 seems to do a decent job, if you do it twice per season.

'bout time to do that right now around here.

...and 3 years ago, it was $14.

Was $28 last time I bought it.

Auto Transport Service
Back