• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Starter Questions

fastpenney

Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
I plan to install TTI headers on my 1967 Belvedere 440 motor. TTI recommends starter #P5249644AB or R53005984. I can find #P5249644 and I can find 53005984. Are these the same as recommended by TTI or do the prefix and suffix letters make them different??

Should be the same...it's a mini-starter
I have it on the Hemi 70 Bee w/ TTIs

Lets see what the Xperts say in a little while....

I just put a mini starter on my RB with a 10.5" flywheel and had to grind about .125" out of the cutout area on the block. Also had to remove the connector adapter to allow the starter to sit properly and now the connections are very close to the block. It should work as long as the cable reaches. Otherwise it fits fine. If you have an 11" flywheel you might not need to do anything.

Virtually all of those mini starters are the same size. The TTI recommendation just means they have tested those exact models. I have TTI's on my 440 in a '67 Charger and I used a Summit brand version. The terminal adapter needed to be removed, but I did not have to modify the block or anything. So far it has served me well enough under those hot headers.

Finagling those headers in with the starter in place is a pain. But you kind of have to get the starter in first, at least loosely in place. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back