• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought any copper wire lately ???

The expansion of retail theft in the US will soon have everyone getting strip-searched just to get out of a store.

IMG_20160914_120320_061.jpg
IMG_20160901_092428_622.jpg
IMG_20170915_112949_615.jpg
IMG_20160914_120314_395.jpg

A bus bar replacement job we did for the NYC Transit authority.
The cables connected to the negative bus (8000a) were 2000mcm if I remember it right.

Couple of guys where I worked stole 1600lbs of phosphor bronze, over 90% copper. Probably stole more but they got away with it.

Sounds almost like the retailers are so afraid of litigation that they just let the thieves have what ever they want with no consequences. Give it to them if they want it that bad. What happened to store security? When I was young the local supermarkets had a security guy, with a shotgun, perched up on an elevated booth to deter theft's, and it worked!

I think it is more of a case of not wanting to have an employee injured trying to stop a felon. This would open up real can of worms for the employer; investigations, compensation, etc. All the stuff is insured, anyways.

All the stuff is insured, anyways.
...Which gets rolled into increased premiums for ALL of the ins.co's customers (not just the store in question)...and into increased prices on everything in the store, to help cover the increased premiums.

As a rule, crime in this country is out of hand right now. Period. It needs to stop.

I think it is more of a case of not wanting to have an employee injured trying to stop a felon. This would open up real can of worms for the employer; investigations, compensation, etc. All the stuff is insured, anyways.
Yes sir, that’s what I’ve been told. Their biggest concern is employees and customers safety. Too many thieves think nothing of pulling a pistol or doing some other stupid thing to get away. I know quite a few employees from Lowes and Home Depot.

Sweet. Gotta' love the city's "density rated" rather than "heat rated" bus bar requirement..... translation, 30% more mungo!

i remember back in 80’s when I was wiring houses 14/2 was about $16 a role and 12/2 was about $18.

I bought 1,000m last week. I bought another 800m of aluminium singles last month.

Copper is a commodity and retains great scrap value after it is used.
:xscuseless:

My supplier is holding 3 pallets of cable for me for a project starting next month.....I have nowhere to store it that keeps it clean

20230310_154420.jpg

20230310_154423.jpg

20230310_154743.jpg

The biggest cables I have used are 500mm csa singles (cross-sectional area in mm) much like a thick shovel handle for sizing. And also 400mm Pyrotenax singles on a Hotel job. Pyrotenax (Pyro) is also known as MIMS - Mineral Insulated Metal Sheathed (copper sheath). Maximum length coil on the 400mm was around 38m. It was a mammoth job to run those - we ran the cables first, and then formed the cable tray around the clusters of cable - Three phase in Tri-foil formation, all clamped to the tray.

That was the first time I ever used a Reciprocating Saw - or sawzall. We tole the boss we needed it to cut that cable. It took over half an hour and many blades to make one cut ....the same cut for the power saw was around 30 seconds.

Auto Transport Service
Back