• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't choose what color to paint my Bee

68superB

Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
Looking for input, & feedback. I have a 68 super bee that's going in for paint in 2 months and still don't have a color picked. The original color is dark medium turquoise ( which i'm not that crazy about ) the car has been completely taken down to bare metal and epoxy primed,and has been on a rotisserie and the underside painted black. the three colors im looking at are Toxic orange, plum crazy purple & the original turquoise, and I would say 80% -90% of people I talked to say keep it original turquoise. any thoughts,comments, or feedback would be great thanks. also I went to many body shops is $12,000 seem high for a paint job with no metal work to be done, just little dings and make everything is flat thanks again.

My recommendation: don't ask anyone what color your car should be. Just do what suits yourself. Decide original hues, or otherwise. Then, look at other cars or pics in the colors you're considering. Rick Nelson once sang, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.

ok thanks, I've been to hundreds of car shows just to look at cars paint, just when I think I got it I say i'm gonna get sick of all that purple in 2 days but I love plum crazy purple. I love toxic orange but it seems everybody is painting toxic orange. the thing about my original color is you just don't see it at car shows, if the paint job is top notch any color looks nice but I have seen a lot of bad paint jobs and only want to paint it one time.

Hello 68. I went through the same thing on my 73 Road Runner. The factory color is mist green (love or hate color), white stripe and interior. I also had a rotisserie job. I wanted 1970 Blue Fire Metallic so bad. The shop owner convinced me to go back original and I'm glad I did. I ended up 20K in blasting, moderate metal work (no pan replacement, just lower 1/4s, etc.) blocking, paint, wet sanded, buffed, stripes, rear end and 340 installed. It came out gorgeous! If you spend that kind of effort, money, and time, then no doubt, original is better for investment /resale value. Good luck with your Bee!

20150531_095613.jpg

20150531_095533.jpg

Thanks 73jf1bird, for the input. I've had this car since I was 19 and i'm 52 now so I want in to be right you know what mean ? I also like a lot of other guys have more money into this than i'll ever get back, your car looks sweet thanks

Original color means nothing unless you want AND like it that color. To help me decide on colors I like to google '68 Super Bee' and go to Images and look around. Then I insert the word 'custom color' in front or behind it, looking around again. This search usually gives me a bunch of ideas and colors to decide on. I like colors and stripes that stand out from others.

I think $12k is too much to pay for just a paint with minor dings, unless they are superstars, wet sand ect. If I were to remove my painted car of its trim and bumpers, I could get a really nice paint and wet sand for $6000 ($4k in your dollars) and that's from a well regarded shop. If your shop needs to disassemble everything, paint both sides of the metal, engine bay, wells ect maybe $12k.

I recall a really thorough thread about what to look for in a body shop. It was written by a buy who owned a shop and is a member here. I would recommend reading that first.

I think Orange or purple but that's just me . I would only do org color if you love it . But it's your car you do what you like because you have to live with it .

Your tastes is what is Important. The first bee I ever saw was yellow, just like the emblem, black stripe and Interior. If I were doing one, that would be it.

sonny loves.. dark medium turquoise ....on a bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!buzzzzzzzz
Awesome Color!!!!keep it:eusa_pray:pleasezz.

Attachments

• bee blue.jpg
    bee blue.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 287
Like others have stated, it is your car and you need to paint it whatever color you want. If it was mine it would be going back to original - I kind of like the turquoise.

Thanks everyone for there input, i'm new at this here so i'll be putting pics on here on the progress and when it gets color thanks for all your comments.

I've always liked the darker turquoise colors. After seeing the pic above that Sonny posted, that's the color i'd go with. But like others said, it's your car and you should pick a color that you'll love to live with. Good luck and let's see some pics of the progress.

We painted the Challenger Sublime but I have to say if it was a bigger car we would stay away from the High Impact colors. The Charger Is silver and black and gets a lot of compliments. I like the dark torquoise.

RR1 burgundy is what i would do to a 68 bee if i had one. I love that color with white stripes and interior.

I would keep it a color that is correct for the year. When I see the high impact colors on the wrong year car, to me it just doesn't look right.

The equivalent to '68 B5 blue looks nice, and I personally think that the '68 turquoise is a great color....

1968+dodge+super+bee+blue+1.jpg

index.php

Thanks everyone for the comments

"any thoughts,comments, or feedback would be great thanks."

only you can decide
make it the way you want it to be
you should pick what makes you happy
etc etc etc......

I had to laugh *(just messing with you guys) ! SO dont do what makes you happy I'm telling you straight up paint her the color she came with...!!!! :headbang:

What I will say is you may be surprised. that color years ago vs the same color today with the huge advance in paint technology you'll be pleasantly SURPRISED and I think impressed. I restored a 67 Mustang, springtime yellow. I'm not fond of yellow. When she came out of the booth I LOVED it and so did people at the Good Guys Show and Pate Swap Meet in Dallas!!

..... and last, you said it best Plum Crazy... well its for cars that were factory like that... orange tooooooo MANY! Be different and original at the same time.:hello2:

I'm liking that Mist Green Runner above. I say Factory.

While I like plum crazy trimmed in white it seems there are 3 times as many out there now than was ever produced. Its gotten to the point that if you want something rare then go back with the original color.

Auto Transport Service
Back