• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic car prices dip?

SteveSS

Local time
12:59 PM
Reaction score
Prices dropped in 2008. The Dow and S&P keep tumbling. Will this affect classic car prices? I think we all know who to thank for this.

only the premium cars will be unaffected......... all those 25K charger projects will end up on craigslist for under 10K

maxresdefault.jpg

Investors have seen insane auction prices and are searching for the next flip. They surely will buy any dip on desirable models , so prices might not come down much if at all. The return on investment has attracted more than auto enthusiasts as even restomods are going for high prices.

I bought the current one to keep until I'm dead, so for me, the market is a secondary issue. Main issue is I love the car.

only the premium cars will be unaffected......... all those 25K charger projects will end up on craigslist for under 10K
X2 That's my thoughts!! The Dow and S&P keep tumbling and the average person is not going to be buying these car and then the price will follow the will of the people, down. People with big money will clean up on anything they want, from top to bottom.

toys are always the first things to go........especially when the ole lady starts bitchin'

X2 That's my thoughts!! The Dow and S&P keep tumbling and the average person is not going to be buying these car and then the price will follow the will of the people, down. People with big money will clean up on anything they want, from top to bottom.
Working in the bulk food transport business in my younger days, I wasn't a big money guy, but my employer thrived during recessions, when people ate more bread and pasta. I was able to pick up a nice GTX at a bargain price during the 1991 recession because I still had a good paycheck. Many nice B bodies on the market that year.

Last edited:
I met a guy that bought a bunch of cheap houses in a university town during the housing crisis of 2008. He rents them to college students at big prices. The students aren't very picky about how well he upkeeps the properties. He keeps the detached garages for himself and stores his classic cars in there. He was taking us around the campus showing us his cars and we walked into one backyard. It was a sorority house and all the girls were suntanning in the backyard. They were upset but it didn't seem to bother him.

I met a guy that bought a bunch of cheap houses in a university town during the housing crisis of 2008. He rents them to college students at big prices. The students aren't very picky about how well he upkeeps the properties. He keeps the detached garages for himself and stores his classic cars in there. He was taking us around the campus showing us his cars and we walked into one backyard. It was a sorority house and all the girls were suntanning in the backyard. They were upset but it didn't seem to bother him.
He's my hero.

I worked maintenance in that type of off campus housing in my younger days. Some times the girls would get in the shower while I was working in that same room. They would say ''I won't look if you don't look". To this day eye Doctors can't figure out how I have such great Peripheral Vision.:)
Sorry for going off track.

Last edited:
Was just chatting w owner of a restoration shop about this and whether he was concerned in next 2 years for business. He stated while he has some “younger clients” who are clearly throwing fun coupons at a toy, many of the clients are retired, 70+ and don’t give a damn what the car market does as they will own it until they can’t drive it anymore. Six figure restorations.
I currently have a 67 and will most likely sell my recently finished project (75 Wagoneer) to fund the work on the Charger as I do believe certain models are probably overpriced at this point.

I was watching Mecum last night and some cars that I thought would sell for more sold for reasonable prices, and others sold for ridiculous prices.

Auto Transport Service
Back