• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar rims,Are they too far gone?

StckweldinSteve

Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
Decent tires on them and the guy wants 100 bucks. Will that rust buff out and shine up or are they too far gone? I realize with already needing to replace my current tires this is a steal. Also think if I can clean them up they’ll look better than my current set up.

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

Man those sold quick….gone in a few mins. Anyhow does anyone know what my current rims are called? My buddy was calling them kidney beans but I don’t know if that’s what they are.

I am in the process of trying to cleanup a set of cragers I got off the boulevard.
First attempt is soaking in bleach. I used chlorine/shock from a pool. (Same as bleach)
I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow as they have sat in the solution for the weekend.
The bleach is suppose to breakup the chrome plating, but I have my doubts before I tried it. I was out nothing because I had the pool chemicals.

Next attempt is going to be hydrochloric acid, but getting an amount might be a challenge. That is research for later.

I do have a sand blaster but that is a very slow and time consuming process.

I plan to powder coat when I have the flaking chrome stripped off

I am in the process of trying to cleanup a set of cragers I got off the boulevard.
First attempt is soaking in bleach. I used chlorine/shock from a pool. (Same as bleach)
I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow as they have sat in the solution for the weekend.
The bleach is suppose to breakup the chrome plating, but I have my doubts before I tried it. I was out nothing because I had the pool chemicals.

Next attempt is going to be hydrochloric acid, but getting an amount might be a challenge. That is research for later.

I do have a sand blaster but that is a very slow and time consuming process.

I plan to powder coat when I have the flaking chrome stripped off
Thanks man, he sold them already but it sounds like I may have dodged some work. Let me know how yours turn out.

Decent tires on them and the guy wants 100 bucks. Will that rust buff out and shine up or are they too far gone? I realize with already needing to replace my current tires this is a steal. Also think if I can clean them up they’ll look better than my current set up.

View attachment 1556034

View attachment 1556037

View attachment 1556039

Those cragars would have probably cleaned up pretty good with some #0000 steel wool & vinegar. Then protect with some metal polish. They wouldn't be perfect by not bad from 10ft. The rust will keep coming back if you don't keep them dry.

Edit: Looks like the chrome is flaking off towards the bottom of that cragar. I wouldn't want them if that's the case.

Last edited:
You do realize the spokes are aluminum, right? Those acids may destroy the aluminum. Try asking your powder coated, they ought to know how to remove the chrome safely.
I am also the powder coater diy type of guy.

If I listened to the internet then I could not have afforded alot of things. Better stop washing car with city water because of chlorine.
Someone else strips the chrome plating off to rechrome things aka bumpers etc. So why couldn't I?
Yes they may be aluminum. So I will report my findings.
I can sit back in fear or get of my rear and try

Man those sold quick….gone in a few mins. Anyhow does anyone know what my current rims are called? My buddy was calling them kidney beans but I don’t know if that’s what they are.
Those look like E/T's.

They are just slots. Yes, ET was a brand name

To me, those are "slots" or slot mags, and unless it says who built them, they could be by anybody. There were about a hundred companies that made or sold them.
To me, a "kidney bean " would specifically be a Halibrand indy roadster style wheel, real magnesium, and VERY expensive! (those aren't, no offense).

To me, those are "slots" or slot mags, and unless it says who built them, they could be by anybody. There were about a hundred companies that made or sold them.
To me, a "kidney bean " would specifically be a Halibrand indy roadster style wheel, real magnesium, and VERY expensive! (those aren't, no offense).
They could be any brand for sure. The uni lug washers look like ET's. It really doesn't matter.

I love the look of cragars when they are new, or well maintained. Got turned off to cragars decades ago when they were on daily drivers, and all looked rusty and flaking chrome. Nowadays, they are all on collector cars and not neglected to rust.
Personal opinion? I'll still never own or buy chrome rims. I do like my cragar super tricks, but they need restoration too.

None taken I’d be really surprised if you told me something on my car cost a lot originally.Thanks for the information.

I love the look of cragars when they are new, or well maintained. Got turned off to cragars decades ago when they were on daily drivers, and all looked rusty and flaking chrome. Nowadays, they are all on collector cars and not neglected to rust.
Personal opinion? I'll still never own or buy chrome rims. I do like my cragar super tricks, but they need restoration too.
I’ll probably stick with the slots with that in mind. One less thing to worry about.

Auto Transport Service
Back