• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dang spiders.....

When I was a kid here in NW Ohio, we used to see who could catch the biggest " Banana Spider". They were everywhere around our block. But now I haven't seen one in 40 yrs.

I had a fat black furry one in my garage window and it KNEW I was looking at him now its disappeared...wondering where it might have gone...

I have been cutting up some hollow trees around my house, there are wolf spiders the size of Skoal cans
Plenty of wolf spiders here too but nothing that big.

A little shot of Gumout Carb Cleaner!
What I had close by was a can of ant and roach spray.....which I don't have a problem with but the can was there. Probably a left over from the wife as she would scream bloody murder if a bark roach came in during a rain. Anyways, the spray wasn't potent enough for the spider and it took a bit of time for it to hit the ground where I put it out of it's misery with my foot. Knocked it off of the antenna twice but it climbed back up it and finally got it on the ground. Don't like seeing anything dying a slow death.

So do opossums and I don't like them much either. :lol:
Possums don't bother me.....I think they are pretty cool and used to rehab them and then turn em loose at the nature center until they told us "we have enough of them dang things" lol

When I was a kid here in NW Ohio, we used to see who could catch the biggest " Banana Spider". They were everywhere around our block. But now I haven't seen one in 40 yrs.

Yeah, they're all at Cranky's place.
:lol:

So do opossums and I don't like them much either. :lol:
I have to laugh about opossums. One night I went out to play with and feed the dogs. The two dogs were sitting by the gate with a cat between them. I reached down to pet the cat and the hair felt weird so I picked it up by the hair on its neck and I am face to face with an opossum that ****** hissed and I dropped it. It’s funny now.

I have to laugh about opossums. One night I went out to play with and feed the dogs. The two dogs were sitting by the gate with a cat between them. I reached down to pet the cat and the hair felt weird so I picked it up by the hair on its neck and I am face to face with an opossum that ****** hissed and I dropped it. It’s funny now.
Funny now, Love it Scott. :rofl::rofl:

Ever since I got bitten by a brown recluse I don't care much for spiders.... Before that they didn't bother me, since then they creep me out.... Something about the stench of rotting flesh...

Black widows are bad here

I do not like seeing them

not a real fear, just weary of them
give me the ebby jeebies when I see one in tight spaces

been bitten before it isn't a pleasant couple of weeks

we have a lot of wolf spiders too,
like the size of a quarter to $0.50 cent piece legs & all

been bitten by them too, big red spot for days weeks
festers up etc.
usually, they bite you when you're sleeping here too

not a huge fan of spiders,
no matter how good they are for the ecology

Last edited:
Here’s one that was in the hollow tree I cut up

3EE5BECA-A9E6-4AAD-B30B-32B813386B87.jpeg

not a huge fan of spiders,
no matter how good they are for the ecology
Amen. We have those things you all are calling banana spiders except they call them "writing spiders"
around these parts. Damn things look menacing, but I'm told they're "harmless".
I got news for ya, anything that big bitin' on ya will cause damage, don't care who you are.

Oh, and we're all in before the Aussie bunch shows up and brags on their killer-assed spiders.
Yeah, yeah, we know - ALL critters down there are lethal to humans....

The two biggest "hidden" worries around here are the usual black widows and brown recluses.
Having been bitten by both, I can tell you the recluse does a lot more damage for a lot longer.
Oh, and recluses are not a defensive-minded spider - those rascals are aggressive as hell.
Both ambushed me in tight quarters in dark places on the job. Never saw 'em coming until
they nailed me...

Other than out here on the ridge, my biggest risks for either come from either valve enclosures
("hot boxes") out in front of businesses (perfect condominiums for black widows and they ALL
have them in them) and dark, quiet warehouses for brown recluses (bastards hide out behind
valve risers and such).
I just emptied half a can of wasp & hornet spray on a BIG brown recluse that moved in to the
gas grille on the front porch this evening. Sumbeech died hard - but he died.

Kill them all! I hate them and nothing worse laying on the floor working and one crawls up ya...

The banana spiders are pretty much harmless but they are creepy as hell.
The brown recluse is the bad one. I got bit by one on the shin and it welled up and festered for about 2 weeks and then I had a callus type knot on my shin for over a year before it finally went away.
One of my carpenter buds went in the portalet at the jobsite and was bit on the nut sack by a black widow well he got real sick and at the time we didn't know what was wrong with him and took him to the ER and they had to give him some kind of antivenom shot once they figured it out. From that day forward we called him spiderman.

Auto Transport Service
Back