• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dick Landy's '68 D700 "Performance Clinic" ramp truck

dodge41969

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
021.jpg022.jpg023.jpg025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg028.jpg033.jpg034.jpg040.jpg041.jpg042.jpg043.jpg044.jpg104.jpg139.jpgI know this isn't a B-Body, (but it's hauled a few!) This is Dick Landy's former '68 D700 ramp truck that was used for hauling his race cars to various drag strips across the country and it was also used for the Performance Clinics he used to do at the same time at dealerships all over the country.(you can see pics of it in the pits in vintage drag pics) He said he'd put over 70,000 miles a year on it!. The "T" section of the storage cab was taken off years ago by one of the owners, and will be restored too.
My friend who owns it said Chrysler had 4 of these built for the Performance Clinics 2 for Dodge 2 for Plymouth.
This is the only oneknown to exist.
My buddy found it on accident when he placed an add in National Dragster looking for any vintage Dodge car haulers/ramp trucks. A few months later a gentleman in Indiana contacted him saying a friend of his had an old Dodge ramp truck that had been sitting for years. After several emails/phone conversations he found001.jpg002.jpg006.jpg007.jpg009.jpg010.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg017.jpg out it was Landy's Clinic Truck!!.
Long story short he bought it and had it delivered to Southern California in april of 2012. My friend has been good friends with the Landy's having worked at a machine shop 4 miles from Dick Landy Industries.
The truck is now a few miles from where it originally was, the Landy's have been really helpful supplying original pics of the truck back in the day to help with the resto.
We took it apart a week later. The 413 that was in it was junk so another 413-3 was located and rebuilt, so far the engine/trans and suspension are restored and back in the chassis...the trans seems to be the original.
The Valvoline sticker on the heater box was put there by Dick Landy Jr. (he told my friend that when he showed him the pic.)
I have a bunch of pics of the progress of the resto if anybody is interested...and a few stories related to it as well that are pretty cool.

That is bad-***!! hell yes i want to see more pics!! that's MoPar history right there!

We also found some pit passes stuck to the headliner that the former owner painted over, that Valvoline sticker on the heater box was put there by Dick Landy Jr., (he told my friend that after showing him the picture).
That is bad-***!! hell yes i want to see more pics!! that's MoPar history right there!

I would love to hear and see more about the resto! Thank God your friend is saving it.

I'm pretty sure everyone want's to see a resto thread on this .. I know I do

Jake the Snake had one of these too.he bought it back from a guy and restored it as you probably well know."Hot Wheels"..its in one of last years mopar action mags...man this IS gonna be some big time history..wow..and its worth some big bucks...thanks for showing us ...God Bless...Bear R.-

this should be an "allowed" and posted restoration thread as it is directly tied to one of the "GREATS" involved with the origional B Body dynasty!! Dodge41969; if you have the time, Please start the thread. Thanks for the post!!

Ramp truck

Yes great History needs to be in the restoration section!!

Jeff

Jake the Snake had one of these too.he bought it back from a guy and restored it as you probably well know."Hot Wheels"..its in one of last years mopar action mags...man this IS gonna be some big time history..wow..and its worth some big bucks...thanks for showing us ...God Bless...Bear R.-
Here's a pic of one of those beasts. This one is McEwen's though.
http://i.imgur.com/aM2uh1c.jpg

From this album! http://alfredmontez.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/hot-rod-magazine-65th-anniversary-show/

hot rod 65th anniversary 030.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 031.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 032.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 033.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 343.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 344.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 345.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 347.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 348.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 349.jpghot rod 65th anniversary 372.jpg
Here's a few pics I took at the Hot Rod Magazine 65th anniversary show a few months ago in Pomona of "The Mongoose's" Hot Wheels '67 D700 ramp truck owned by Don Prudhomme (he owns both McEwen's and his original).
Prudhomme is good friends with my buddy who owns the Landy truck, in fact Prudhomme wanted to buy it from my friend, (not for sale....no ammount was offered). As you can see the McEwen truck was originally built for the Sox and Martin team...the original certi-card was still in place when Don purchased it a few years back.
The truck is similar to the '68 landy truck.

I think the Sox and Martin truck was Prudhomme's truck. Great pics and story - thanks for posting!

In the as found picture the truck was yellow (confusing I know), but it was painted yellow in the 70's and was used to haul a Winston Cup car. But this is the original Sox and Martin and later Tom McKewen's Hot Wheels truck. Check out: www.snakeracing.com for info on both trucks.
Glad you enjoyed the pictures, (I have a lot more!).
I think the Sox and Martin truck was Prudhomme's truck. Great pics and story - thanks for posting!

I think I have an old issue of hot rod with the Landy truck in it, I will have to check!

this is AWSOME PLEASE more pics and details!!

:happy1::happy1::happy1:

Auto Transport Service
Back