Engine compartment detail question

1968 -1970 Mopars

1. Meep-Meep

Meep-Meep дворянин

Local Time:
    3:29 AM
    ...Regarding a 69 Road Runner - specifically the steering column. Is the visible part of the shaft painted or bare metal, or either way depending on the day of the week or how loaded the assembly line worker was at the time?? Also the trunion joint (coupler) - bare metal or black??

Thanks.

2. 69 Runner

69 Runner ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)

Local Time:
    What day, what plant, what recreational pharmaceuticals that day.

I say no paint. I've seen some remnants of black paint on the rag. No paint on the box.

3. Meep-Meep

Meep-Meep дворянин

Local Time:
    OK, I'm gonna run with it. Thanks!

4. rolling_Thunder

rolling_Thunder Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:29 AM
    I usually go bare steel on the shaft, coupler, and box.... unless i see black paint on the rag then i paint that black.

5. thebankerstoy

thebankerstoy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:29 AM
    This is just my two cents worth, but unless your building a 100 point show car, or have a true "surviver" car that's never been touched, I'd recommend that you paint, or powder coat ALL of your front suspension and steering parts, as leaving them bare metal will leave the parts open to rust and corrosion. Eastwood makes some very nice paint products such as "Chassis Black", "Aluma-blast" and many other similar products that will give your parts a factory look without leaving them without any protection from the elements. ;)

On my 66 Coronet, I had almost all of my front suspension and steering parts, along with my K-member powder coated back in 2001 or so and it still looks like new today and the parts are MUCH easier to keep clean! :yes: If I remember correctly, it ran me between $200.00 and $300.00 back then to do all of the powder coating.

Richard

6. Meep-Meep

Meep-Meep дворянин

Local Time:

Richard,

I ended up doing pretty much what you just said except I painted the bare steel parts with POR 15 Metal Mask (the stuff that looks like bare steel). So far the control arms, center link and the strut rods have the bare look. Basically everything that was really rusty told me it was never painted so I acted accordingly. I'm not going the full 100 point show route, but since I have to do something to protect from the elements I thought I'd get it close.

I also painted the end of the steering shaft and the coupler with the metal mask. I did my pedal cluster with support and parking brake assy too. I was happy with the way it came out.

69RRpedalassy.jpg

Prk1.jpg

Prk3.jpg

7. thebankerstoy

Local Time:
    POR makes some very nice products also and your parts came out looking REALLY nice, so it looks like you're all set. I went with the powder coating on my car because it's a very durable coating and it also looks great for a long time. Either way, as long as the bare metal parts are protected from the elements, that's all that matters. :yes::grin:

Richard

8. charger70

charger70 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I like what you have done and think thats the way to go.
    Ya know, in a couple hundred thousand years those survivor #matching bare metal pieces will likely have rusted away, and yours will still be around. :tongueflap:

9. Pastortom1

Pastortom1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:29 AM
    What can I say...........an EXCELLENT job......Excellent. :yes:

10. Histoy

Histoy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    That POR Metal Mask finish looks super! In the past I've sand blasted the parts to get rid of the rust, and then sprayed them with clear lacquer or clear plasticoat finish.

11. res1vw21

res1vw21 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    wow that looks really nice! After seeing your results, I might just have to pick up some of it.

12. Meep-Meep

Meep-Meep дворянин

Local Time:
    Not to sound like a POR 15 commercial, but I really like it!

Here are the suspension parts. I just reduced the paint with the POR solvent, cleaned and treated the parts per instructions and sprayed with a $9.00 gun I bought at a swap meet. The pedals were my first attempt using the coating and I used a brush to apply it. The brush marks are kind of a pain to deal with so I recommend spraying.

Front suspension parts 1.JPG

Front suspension parts 2.JPG

Front suspension parts 3.JPG

13. thebankerstoy

Local Time:
    Your parts look VERY nice! :yes: The only thing to find out now, is how well the por paint holds up when the car is back on the road terrorizing the Chevy's, Ford's and imports in your neighborhood! :D

Richard

14. Meep-Meep

Meep-Meep дворянин

Local Time:
    Exactly!!

I don't build garage queens and I look at rock chips as tiny badges of honor (so long as they are small). I too am hoping for the best on the por stuff. I can say this, I dropped one of the control arms onto the concrete floor the other day and it didn't chip. I still have to press in the bushings, so I'll see what that does to the paint.

15. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    MeepMeep your stuff looks good!

16. Meep-Meep

Meep-Meep дворянин

Local Time:
    Thanks, yours too!! I like how you did the trans finish - including the number. What is that?

Do you have a part number stamp for the heater box? You know, the yellow number in the rectangular border on the metal cover.

17. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    That is the rack number that is on the broadcast sheet, they pull the type of tranny that way. When I cleaned the tranny off I found all the markings you see, Ive been told I need to mess up the green a little it didnt look that good off the rack. The paint on the trans is Aervoe steel blast engine paint.

road runner 681 (Small).jpg

18. Meep-Meep

Meep-Meep дворянин

Local Time:
    Gorgeous!!! The bolts look like they are black oxide. Eastwood has a plating kit. Anyone have any experience with it?

19. 696pack

696pack Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    That looks like it is ready to be installed from under the car just as it was done from the factory. Certainly the easiest, fastest way provided you have two guys to do it, one on each side as it goes up into the engine compartment. That is the way I did it and the guy helping me did not have a clue about things mechanical.

20. rolling_Thunder

rolling_Thunder Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    From the bottom is the best - it is a one man job (if you have a lift) to get a Hemi in a B or E body... wanna guess how I know that ? lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.