• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine wont prime?

Myasylum

Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
I'm finally ready to start my engie with the new cam. I put new heads on as well. So I went to prime the engine (counter clockwise) with a powerful drill, and no oil!
Not sure what I did or am doing wrong? The drill slows down, you can hear gurgling but no oil up to the heads.

1973- 400

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

One put a pressure gauge on it, two you have to rotate the engine to line up the cam/cam bearing holes to get oil up top

One put a pressure gauge on it, two you have to rotate the engine to line up the cam/cam bearing holes to get oil up top
Thanks 68 Hemi GTS! I got both sides to work! It started gurgling like there was a lot of air. Is that normal? How long you prime it for? I've heard anywhere from. 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

Thanks!

Thanks 68 Hemi GTS! I got both sides to work! It started gurgling like there was a lot of air. Is that normal? How long you prime it for? I've heard anywhere from. 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

Thanks!

I usually hit it for a minute or so. You’re good to go if you have oil up top!

Some people forget to lubricate the pump internals. Without that oil seal, it ain't gonna pump...

I replaced the oil pump on my 383 years ago. Never had to replace an oil pump before, so did some reading on then process.
One tip from an article I read suggested that new pump get's packed with Vasiline Petroleum jelly to "prime it" before you bolt it on.
I did so and it worked great. Pressure came up immediately. It's petroleum jelly, so really won't hurt anything just bends in with the
engine oil.

Auto Transport Service
Back