• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Establishing a VIN number from the order number on radiator core support

As stated the numbers stamped on the trunk lip & core support should match the shipping order number which will appear on the fender tag. The B indicates a Hamtramck build. If your original engine and trans were stamped, it would read 8Bxxxxxx, having the last 6 digits match the VIN.
There is no fender tag. Also there's no stamp on the trunk lip in 68 only in 69 and 70.

not without a build sheet

...or an IBM card if it exists for his car and to get it from Stelantis, requires the VIN, and proof of ownership.

Chargers were XS29

thanks....

they all has the "S"? ........ my GTX VIN, RS23L8A.... the "S" stands for "special".......I assumed only the Charger R/T would be XS.......

23 is two door hard top, Chargers are 29?

I have much more experience with RR/GTX and Bees........ I am not a Charger expert

thanks....

they all has the "S"? ........ my GTX VIN, RS23L8A.... the "S" stands for "special".......I assumed only the Charger R/T would be XS.......

I have much more experience with RR/GTX and Bees........ I am not a Charger expert
66-70 were XS29.
You're correct, not all Chargers were the S special price class. Just using mine as an example along with the 29 designation.

Last edited:
There is no fender tag. Also there's no stamp on the trunk lip in 68 only in 69 and 70.
That's incorrect. 68 had the same stamping on the trunk lip under weatherstripping that's also found on the radiator support......including mine.

1968 Charger VIN started with XP29 for a regular Charger
XS29 was an R/T version

You could measure the diameter of the torsion bars in the car
Not sure of the sizes off the top of my head but the R/T had the heavier version as in fatter size

1968 Charger VIN started with XP29 for a regular Charger
XS29 was an R/T version

You could measure the diameter of the torsion bars in the car
Not sure of the sizes off the top of my head but the R/T had the heavier version as in fatter size
Great idea. I will measure the torsion bars as soon as possible. Thank you.

best we can do is X*29*8B*****

thanks....

So I just looked up the VIN decoder online and it says that this is an R/T version. Is that correct?

For title problems I suggest using Broadway Title www.broadwaytitle.com

There was a 1971 442 in a garage in an abandoned house that my mother bought at a sheriff's tax sale in 1999 and it had no title. It was not stolen but it was abandoned. Broadway title fixed me up with a title with the correct VIN.

Auto Transport Service
Back