• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Expensive flights in northern Canada

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
I had posted before about how expensive it is to live here. Our land mass is about a third of all of Canada, yet the combined population of Northwest Territories and Nunavut is about sixty thousand people. Put another way, that’s sixty thousand people in an area more then three times the size of Texas. It’s simply not profitable to fly into places with a handful of people.
D48EF6D6-B57B-452E-8992-444DC301A8E8.png
Nunavut is so isolated that there are no roads in at all; you fly or boat in. So here’s what it costs to fly out. Prices in Canadian dollars, but it’s still a lot. I can fly to Mazatlan, Mexico for less then a third of what some of these flights cost, and you never leave Canada. Note Grise Fjord. Eight thousand three hundred dollars PER PERSON!

Last edited:
Hey, don't bitch, you're the one who choses to stay there !!

Traveling anywhere is expensive, It's always cheaper to stay home. Unfortunately all modern conveniences have to be shipped to isolated lands therefore more costs incurred. I on the other hand live in a city of approximately 3 million people some who are crazy, rude, ignorant, thieves etc.etc. and even some normal people but that's the cost/price one endures for convenience and variety. Just saying

One of my fishing buddies is in and out of Grise Fiord every 2 or 3 weeks, for the past year or so. Over 15 years doing so at most place up the James Bay coast. Fortunately at no cost to him as a male nurse working their hospitals and medical outposts.

The majority of people who live up in those regions are natives to the areas. For centuries their people survived off the land with no modern conveniences. The days were spent on the hunt. You don't hunt, you die - no food, no skins to build kayaks, clothing or shelter. Now all we hear is continuous whining about the lack of conveniences and how crappy their government-built housing is. Personally I think the next planeload of supplies should be bows and arrows and a stack of survival manuals. They want to live up there like their ancestors. I say, give them the same tools their ancestors had and let them go to it. Cordon off the areas and shoot any outsider who tries to interfere.

A lot of those flights are paid for by the govt. or resource companies I reckon.

A lot of those flights are paid for by the govt. or resource companies I reckon.
Most of the flights are subsidized in one way or another, either medical reasons or work. But the cost really discourages any sort of tourism or spur of the moment visits.
My daughters fiancé is a top welder for the company that does much of the maintenance and repairs on their equipment and construction and thus gets to fly into these communities and see a part of the world that most will never experience. Been on a seal hunt and chased by a polar bear once.

Most of the flights are subsidized in one way or another, either medical reasons or work. But the cost really discourages any sort of tourism or spur of the moment visits.
My daughters fiancé is a top welder for the company that does much of the maintenance and repairs on their equipment and construction and thus gets to fly into these communities and see a part of the world that most will never experience. Been on a seal hunt and chased by a polar bear once.
Be careful of what you wish for cause you just might get it. The beauty of the land, the fresh air, the pristine environment, just about everything is lost once man moves in in large numbers never to return. If you think you're missing out on something come join the rat race for a year or so. Then you might want to return. The other man's grass isn't always greener.

That's true: Man will make a mess if we let him. I love the north and keep promising my wife we'll make a trip back up there sometime. I think this was near the Yukon border last time I went up.

IMG_20180629_0002.jpg

I've been to the beautiful country of Canada a few times. Albeit to Ontario, Niagara Falls, and Montreal. I would love to see the beauty of the northern areas. Not live there, though, too cold ! :lol:

I had posted before about how expensive it is to live here. Our land mass is about a third of all of Canada, yet the combined population of Northwest Territories and Nunavut is about sixty thousand people. Put another way, that’s sixty thousand people in an area more then three times the size of Texas. It’s simply not profitable to fly into places with a handful of people. View attachment 1419811Nunavut is so isolated that there are no roads in at all; you fly or boat in. So here’s what it costs to fly out. Prices in Canadian dollars, but it’s still a lot. I can fly to Mazatlan, Mexico for less then a third of what some of these flights cost, and you never leave Canada. Note Grise Fjord. Eight thousand three hundred dollars PER PERSON!
Are there dogsleds utilized to travel in those areas ? Hey, maybe hitch a ride on Santa's sleigh at the right time of the year ?

I would love to live even further north but the wife wouldn't go with me..... :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back